Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. Add an additional exportable field "monolingual definition"

I'd love to have both translation and monolingual definition fields in the word list - ideally with the option to connect both with custom dictionaries.

The reason for this is that my Anki notes have both translation and monolingual definition fields. (My Spanish isn't advanced enough yet that I could always work with monolingual definitions, but starting to integrate them helps me get there.)

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. (long-term?) - Parallel Texts? (parallel versions of the same book).

I was wondering if you might think about supporting parallel texts, which is a way that some learners like to read their books.

I should say that I'm not really thinking of an actual parallel-ised version of a book (although that might be another option), but when you have, say, an e-book in your target language, and a translation of it into your native language as another e-book.

I think with suitable "screen gymnastics" it's probably possible to read a book in parallel already with something like Calibre, but it would be great if there were a tool specifically designed…

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I really like this idea. In fact I’ve been thinking about something similar for a while.

When a text is far beyond your reading level a side by side option would be ideal. And when you aren’t struggling so much, it’s probably better to show the translation only for sentences or paragraphs as needed, like you suggest.

No promises on this at the moment though I’m afraid, I have a lot of other work to do first.

3. remember export settings

it would be great it the tool either remembered your last export settings (which fields you used) or if you could set that in the prefences

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Create one bookshelf for each language

I am studying two languages at the moment.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but when I translate one word in one language I have the flashcard in both languages.

It would be great if we only have the words to study in the language that was created the flashcard.

The major problem is the flashcards are mixed.

Thank you
    Eduardo

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This definitely shouldn’t happen and if it is it sounds like a bug.

To be more specific:

1. If you change your “I’m learning” language at the top of the screen, you should only see books and flashcards in that language.

2. Your “I know…” language is not meant to change, since you only have one native language, and if you do change this you will indeed find that your flashcards have a mix of translations in different languages.

Could you please clarify what is happening for you.

Thanks,
    Steve

5. Japanese word splitting (MECAB)

Hi,

Would it be possible to run any texts imported for Japanese through mecab? This would split up the words and while not 100% accurate would allow users to look up words without adding too many 'rubbish' words by mistake when they highlight fragments / don't know where the word breaks are.

Any mistakes by mecab can be corrected quite easily by the user editing text. Also if you could add some sort of way to show/hide spaces then more advanced students/ those that dislike the spaces could just hide them.

Cheers

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add export to Google spreadsheets.

From Google spreadsheets there is an API that can be used to export to various other flashcard programs.
    Also, if numerous students were able to export to one teacher's spreadsheet, the teacher would get good data on the class's vocabulary profile.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add a text-search facility.

Add a text-search facility.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. better support high-latency connections

I'm using your site from Bangladesh, and my connection to the States is fairly high-latency (320-340ms to readlang.com right now, 150-200 to Google's 8.8.8.8). Unfortunately, one effect of this seems to be that I can sometimes (not always) wait a long time for a word to appear. (I just had it happen w/ এইভাবে; it took 23 seconds!) I clicked on a number of words before that one, and most took 4 seconds. If there's any optimization you can do for high-latency connections, it would be most appreciated.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sometimes google translate itself can take a few seconds to respond, but it certainly shouldn’t take 23 seconds!

There’s not that much I can do to improve things if the latency and/or bandwidth of your connection is slow. The request and response when doing a translation are quite small already, so the only way I can think to speed things up would be to pre-fetch translations for every word in the text you are reading, and that would only work for individual words, not phrases. This is something I’ll consider when looking into offline usage in future, no promises on when that’ll be though.

9. modify it so teachers can use it.

This seems to be a marvelous site. I would love to use it for my class and it would be great to be able to share a text with the students.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can create texts and make them public using the “Share” button from the Library. This means that anyone will be able to see them, not only your students. Would this be suitable for you?

I’d love to make the site more usable for teachers. Please let me know what features you would need to use the site as a teacher.

Also, once the site is out of beta I plan to offer paid subscription options to make the site sustainable, do you think teachers would be willing to pay a small fee for features to manage a group of students?

Thanks,
    Steve

10. Choose pronunciation accent

Would it be possible to choose between UK/US English for pronunciation of word (in the wordlist and during translation)? Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Create a firefox extension

(Firefox will not let me install the extension you posted here:)
    http://blog.readlang.com/content/readlangFirefoxExtension.xpi

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. It doesn't work.

I am using High Sierra 10.13.6 and there is no "edit" on my bookmarks. I tap Readlang and it just takes me to your web page

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. No suggestion, just a word of praise

I recently had to allow my subscription to Readlang to expire, but I wanted to let you know that it isn't due to any problem with the service.

Unfortunately I'm suffering a condition that doctors cannot figure out which causes incredible fatigue and insomnia. This has made language learning very difficult. Then the medication I was prescribed a few months ago has actually made it worse to the point that I cannot do any language learning activities. After the period on the medication has run its course and probably failed to produce results, I will hopefully be able to return…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. monitor and review your articles for accuracy, in content and skill level.

You have many articles listed as A1 but include passages from Kipling, Twain, and many political and religious texts. These are not suited for anyone below a B (or even occasionally C) level skills. It also looks like many texts are written by non native speakers and contain many errors which do not help the learner to learn the language correctly.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. don't want to popout the dictionary

i want to read a text fastly. the dictionary popout everytime when i highlight
    the word. i just need the translation upon the word . so how to option this,close the popout.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Adding flashcards

Hi - I love the flashcards generated from readlang but I sometimes encounter words and phrases elsewhere and would love to manually add them to my readlang flashcards - can this be done or is it an easy update? I know I could export all my readlang flashcards to Anki and add to that but I prefer everything in one place, and readlang is where I do 80% of my reading.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make the sign-up process easier

The sign up link on the main page only allows me to sign in, not sign up. I spent 15 or more minutes trying to figure out how to create an account using email. I finally found a video that pointed me in the right direction. I almost gave up.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. add Latgalian as a language to learn

I am a linguist and like readlang very much. I would like to explore its use with an underressourced language, Latgalian. It will be mainly used by speakers of Latvian reading texts in Latgalian and compiling wordlists from texts. The language's ISO is ltg, the language name in Latgalian is latgalīšu volūda. Thank you very much for considering this.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. fix the problem with links and formatted text (when using extension on an external page)

When using Chrome Readlang extension there is a problem, which I guess won't be difficult to solve. You cannot (or maybe I cannot) translate a fragment of a text that has two different styles of formatting within it. If something is a link or a bold text (or anything that needs using a separate html tag) you can only translate it separately (from the rest of the phrase). It's quite annoying, when using some dictionary examples (with described term always in bold) or articles that use a lot of links. The (ordinal?) number of the word is right, so I…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Azerbaijani language

Hi,
    Could you, please, kindly add Azerbaijani language as well?

Many thanks beforehand!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)