Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. Add button to report errors in texts

Hello Readlang,
    I think this is a wonderful website. While browsing the pages, however, I came across one small mistake in the lyrics of "Let it snow": "The lights are turned was down low" should be "The lights are turned way down low".

I think it might be useful if you have this kind of reporting window available at every page because other pages may have something that needs to be corrected as many of its contents seem to be contributed voluntarily.

But this is definitely a good system. Thanks anyway!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Good idea, I want to implement something like this.

For now I’ve fixed that line from “Let it Snow!” manually. There’s a new problem with the line spacing that you’ll notice though, all the lines have a large spacing so the separation between verses is no longer visible, I’ll work on fixing this tomorrow.

EDIT – Change title of idea to “Add button to report errors in texts”

EDIT 2 – “Let It Snow!” is formatted property into verses again.

2. Add the possibility to show only public library content with youtube video

Add the possibility to filter the public content in order to only show content that has a youtube video. This would help those interested in improving the listening skills.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Support other text formats (expecially pdf) along with epub.

I'd like to be able to read text from pdfs and other documents such as web pages (and Word files too) using readlang. My problem is that, to read a pdf with readlang, a) I have to do a lot of work to get the file into the write format, and b) I lose a lot of the textual layout and this can sometimes make the text very difficult to read.

I would like to be able or enter a url of a pdf file and use readlang to help me read it.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Copy to clipboard

I wonder if it would be possible to have the Readlang Web Reader copy the word that was clicked to the local clipboard? The reason for this is that the Web Reader offers just one translation whereas there may be better ones. I have developed my own pop-up dictionary environment that offers a lot more options, such as verb de-inflection, and alternate dictionaries, and multiple translations if available. It works by sensing content copied to the clipboard. In fact, putting the clicked word on the local clipboard opens up a lot of useful local applications. An option might be provided…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. image url save problem

word list > word >image url add,when i add image url,its said saved,but when i refresh web page,the image url was gone,i can't find it anymore.
    may be it's a bug.
    thanks you nice work!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. audio for context sentences

It'd be very helpful if there were audio option that could read the sentences from which the key word/phrase was taken (jut like there's audio for words/phrases that are learned

or it could be like this that when I guess what is the missing word (translation) then the sentence would be filled in with my correct answer and then I could play audio for it

It's just a free idea; that would also strengthen our comprehension skills and keep us away from incorrect pronunciation

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Automatic audio playback is now available for premium users, it doesn’t read the whole context sentence at the moment, but plays the specific word or phrase when:

- You translate a word or phrase
    - The side of the flashcard in your target language is displayed

You can enable it by checking “Speaking Mode” from the settings page: http://readlang.com/settings

It works for the following 17 languages: Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Please let me know what you think of this and how it works.

Some notes:
    1. It doesn’t work when using the Web Reader on iOS.
    2. When enabled, you’ll see an audio icon at the top of the reader page and during a flashcard session allowing you to toggle “speaking mode” – this won’t appear at all if it wasn’t enabled first from the settings page…

9. Sync days with timezone

Hi, i realise that the chart that shows that number of words i've revised on each day to be based on some US timezone (i live in Asia). Is it possible to add the option to select a timezone of my choosing?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The way it’s meant at the moment to work is use the timezone that your browser thinks it’s in, and then use 4am in your local time at the cut-off between each day.

It’s very possible that there’s a bug that I haven’t noticed, since I’m almost always in GMT or CET.

Please check that your computer is set to be in your current local timezone. You could do this by visiting this page: http://steveridout.github.io/mongo-object-time/ and letting me know what it says at the top of the second green box, e.g. mine says Time (UTC+2), in Asia it should be + a larger number.

If you still think there’s a bug, let me know and I’ll investigate.

10. Share flashcard decks with friends

It would be great to be able to share a deck (daily/weekly) with classmates-friends etc that are in the same boat. So the learning effort would be collaborative

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. allow fast switching languages in the green toolbar via button: English to German <-> German to English. We only need the <-> switch button

Recently, I got an for improvement which you might find useful:

The green toolbar above enables you to enter a target language (left dropdown) and your native language (right dropdown). I often mix german/english up as it speeds up the comprehension of text. It's easier to translate an unknown word into a second language than look it up in a dictionary.

It would be awesome if you could add a button to fast switch between the two selected languages.

English to German <-> German to English.

I often read articles in both languages and the fast switch would make the…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add tags and colour coding options to word highlighting so that I can categorise the words I learn.

The addition of tags and options for colour coding to them would allow users to categorise words (for example by difficulty) and see any occurrence of saved words with the proper colour-coded background in a text, instantly knowing if they've encountered the word already and how difficult they find to memorise it.

Also unknown words should, as an option, be colour-coded as well.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. A tagging system for the public content

The public content might benefit from a tagging system so that content can be searchable. The tagging could have suggestions from previous entered tags from other users...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. put ido into your mix of languages

An international language that is easily understandable.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Tutor option

Free tutoring, language exchange, like on polyglotclub.com. For example someone who is learning Russian and is a native German speaker can exchange with someone who learns German and is a Russian native speaker.. Very simple option -what languages are you learning -what languages can you teach -- and then you are sorted in a readlang tutor list. Maybe just a button on the top, when you click-the list pops out, you chose a tutor and exchange information, email, skype ect.. I think that the tutor option would make this website complete, no need to go anywhere else..

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. hi, I am woundering whether you have Readlang app for ipad

I tried to install it, but it didn`t work out for me :-(

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Question on simplified and traditional Chinese characters:

Not sure if you're aware that some text passages I posted in my page have full form/traditional Chinese characters (Taiwan, Hong Kong) and some have simplified characters (PRC). Only some characters have been simplified (a few thousands), but they include many common ones.

I think most students remember and type simplified characters but not traditional (which we generally try to avoid)

If one adds the simplified form to the card in the "Alternative" box for a traditional character, would that upset your database?

Since your dictionary works so well with both forms, I would suggest having 2 boxes for the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Is there a way to select the way (from..to) to practice ?

I just want to learn from Original language to Learned language.

I do not want Readlang to ask me cards from Learned Language to Original language.

Is there a setting to da that ?

Thanks

Luca

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Luca,

Readlang works as follows for each flashcard:

1. First time you see it, it asks you to translate from target language → first language, since this is the easiest.

2. After you get that correct once, it will ask you to translate from first language → target language.

3. If you ever respond “No” to the “Did you remember?” prompt, or if you type an incorrect answer in the typing mode, it will fall back to asking you to translate target language → first language. (If you respond “Almost”, it will ask you again to guess the target language)

I hope that makes sense. If you keep correctly guessing a word it will behave as you want. If you still feel the need for a setting let me know.

19. allow a click on a word or phrase from a web article and not have it show up on the word list

I would like to be able to click on a word or phrase from a web article and not have it show up on my word list.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Get your translations right...

I have just created an account and looked at my first article (De Londres a Australia..."). The first word I tried, "como", was translated as "How come?", which would have been fine if the word had been "cómo", but what was needed here was "like".

If you are marketing this as a language learning tool then this sort of basic error in the first 5 minutes of use doesn't encourage me at all.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General