Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

473 results found

1. Glad you've got Thai. :-)

Love how I can easily make flashcards from things I'm reading online! Helps me review my reading.

Are you going to be able to increase the Thai support level? Move out of beta?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The missing parts that I would need to have Thai out of beta are:

1. Word detection – Readlang should know where each word starts and ends so that you don’t need to manually select each word yourself. This is easy when the languages use spaces, but with Thai, Chinese and Japanese, it’s tricky.
    2. Word frequency lists – to be able to prioritize your learning to learn the most frequent/useful words first.
    3. Text-to-speech audio – to hear the pronunciation of words

I can’t see these happening very soon, since I’m focussing on improvements that benefit all the languages at the moment. One day when Readlang is more successful and has more resources I hope to be able to improve Thai support.

2. Proper tokenization for Korean

Korean has tons of particles, verb endings, etc. so there are a lot of words recognized as different on here that are really the same word just with different grammatical implications. For example, 학교에서, 학교에, 학교까지, 학교가, 학교를, and more are all just the word for school. I think with more accurate tokenization of those to just 학교 along with the same for other nouns, verbs, and such that the single-word dictionary lookup and flashcards for Korean would be much more useful.

I don't know how your backend is written but there is a pretty good Korean tokenizer written in…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. thank U dear

it's very good idea to read &tr . Your jap-ru tr-te is just great

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Audio sync rather than only YouTube video

My idea is basically to do an Assimil styled approach but be able to incorporate your flashcards (or Anki) with it in this way: 1) listen to the recording, 2) transcribe and sync, 3) review with flashcards and, of course, be able to click on a word to hear it individually (which I think you have as a premium already).

So, if I could upload audio I could then use podcasts and other sources besides YT. I'd like to be able to import audio files (Mp3 would be the first choice) and sync them up just as your YT function…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Have a suspend option in word list

Sometimes you have a relapse in studying and want to start out new again on some fresh texts but not have the old words come back at you in the flash cards until a later date.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m thinking about changing the scheduling system slightly to prioritise newer words over older ones for this reason.

I’ve noticed this myself and also in this Readlang review Ron says that he periodically deletes all his cards to avoid the same problem: http://www.languagesurfer.com/2015/01/14/readlang-review-six-ways-to-get-the-most-out-of-this-awesome-tool/ – when I read this I knew that something needed to be fixed. Thanks for reminding me about this!

One thing you could try in the meantime is:

1. Read a text on readlang.com (as opposed to the Web Reader) and translate a lot of words.
    2. On the flashcard page, there’s a “Study from…” selector – use this to only study words from the recently read text.

6. I'd like to have the options which give the possibility to block the learning the words from chosen text or books and studying all the word

I'd like to have the options which give the possibility of:
    - postponing learning words from chosen texts or books (blocking text or book)
    - studying all the scheduled words at once without dividing them for 8/15 or 25.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Word boundaries in Japanese

It would be nice if the system could identify the word boundaries for me, so that, when I put the cursor over a word, the green highlight appears under an entire Japanese word, and not just on each individual character.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. adding an option to choose which words to turn into flashcards

I'd like to be able to. Currently, the system creates flashcards for every word or phrase that I translate, but I'd like to have more control over the creation of the flashcards.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When reading on readlang.com you can open the sidebar (the little button in the top right of the page), go to Words, and then delete the ones you don’t want to keep.

Or, after reading with the Web Reader, you could go to http://readlang.com/words and remove the ones you don’t want to keep there.

The idea is not to have to make unnecessary choices while reading so that you can focus completely on the story you’re reading.

Does this workflow suit you or would you prefer have to click an extra button while reading to save a word to your list?

9. Read to me.

Learning a language through reading is spectacular but it is missing someone reading to me out loud so that I can hear the correct pronunciation without having to go to each individual word pronunciation on your flash card tab.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. this is the bomb

many of the flashcards are not technically correct, making it hard on a person trying to learn grammer. Crowdsourcing is great, but if someone has a better translation, there should be a method they can submit it for review. I think Audiria does this.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

They aren’t always correct, that’s true.

Readlang is designed for intermediate and advanced learners, not complete beginners. Users are expected to understand the basic grammar enough to realise when a translation isn’t completely correct, and in that case, they should edit the flashcards – in the edit panel a dictionary will be shown which should help with this.

Crowsourcing is a great idea and I’ve been thinking about this for ages, but implementing it well is very tricky so can’t promise anything.

11. Creating word-lists without loading texts.

The possibility of creating word-lists by simply entering words and contexts (like any other dictionary).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Editable "Categories"

I am using ReadLang more and more, and I am finding it to be extremely useful and helpful. One part that could be more useful is "Categories' for Texts. Currently the categories are fiction, non-fiction, song, conversation and other. Those don't seem to be applicable to me (except Conversation), but may be to others. It would be useful to me to be able to edit (make) my own Categories. The obvious ones that come to mind are: Phrases, Grammar, Expressions, Connectors, Science, News, Lessons, Study.

Somewhat related: As I become more and more proficient in my target language, I am…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. steamcommunity.com doesn't work with Readlang

http://steamcommunity.com/

I get this pop-up message:

"The page at www.nu.nl says:
    Sorry but there's a problem loading Readlang Web Reader on this website."

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry but the http://steamcommunity.com/ website has a security policy that stops any external scripts from running. This includes the Readlang Web Reader. The same problem happens with Facebook.

There may be a way I can work around this for Chrome Extension users but I would need to investigate further.

15. Why not change the English word by a synonime in English, too?

People studying english at a certain level might not know the meaning of a Word but they could perfectly know one of its synonimes. I find that sometimes the translation of the English Word into Spanish is not very accurate.
    For instance, the Word "trigger" in my last Reading didn't mean "gatillo" but something like shooting. Excuse me if I am mistaken.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow "I did not remember" on words in texts

When displaying words in the texts, you can click on them and select "I remembered". This removes them from the list of words to study and bumps the review time to another date.
    I would suggest adding a "I did not remember" that decreases the review time to the most recent.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Nepali

I'm still eagerly awaiting the addition of the Nepali language to readlang!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Purpose of Alert?

Every time that I am reading an uploaded text in Readlang Library, I get the following alert partway through the text:

Alert
    To use the Readlang Web Reader:
    1. Drag this "Readlang Web Reader" link to your bookmarks bar
    2. Browse to the page you want to read
    3. Click the "Readlang Web Reader" bookmark

I already have the Green R button in the taskbar of my browser which I click on whenever I want to use it on a web page.

I am using the Chromium browser on Ubuntu. I'd prefer not to see this alert. Is there some…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Link the toolbar icon to Readlang on rightclick

Currently, right-clicking and then clicking Readlang Web Reader takes you to the chrome store, which makes no sense. If I've got it in my toolbar to click it, I don't need to go to the store to get it. What I do need, is an easy way to get to the Readlang page. Maybe I am just missing it, but I have been having to type the URL in to get there so there isn't an obvious link anywhere.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?