Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. Purpose of Alert?

Every time that I am reading an uploaded text in Readlang Library, I get the following alert partway through the text:

Alert
    To use the Readlang Web Reader:
    1. Drag this "Readlang Web Reader" link to your bookmarks bar
    2. Browse to the page you want to read
    3. Click the "Readlang Web Reader" bookmark

I already have the Green R button in the taskbar of my browser which I click on whenever I want to use it on a web page.

I am using the Chromium browser on Ubuntu. I'd prefer not to see this alert. Is there some…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Link the toolbar icon to Readlang on rightclick

Currently, right-clicking and then clicking Readlang Web Reader takes you to the chrome store, which makes no sense. If I've got it in my toolbar to click it, I don't need to go to the store to get it. What I do need, is an easy way to get to the Readlang page. Maybe I am just missing it, but I have been having to type the URL in to get there so there isn't an obvious link anywhere.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. ReadLang on Google Translate page

If you set the Google Translate page to translate from your native language to your target language, enter a word or phrase, and then click on the ReadLang button, the target word or phrase works normally in ReadLang. But if you then change the input to GT, producing a new target language output, then the green line for ReadLang does not appear and Readlang does not work. If you refresh the page, ReadLang will then work with the new translated word or phrase.

The reason I like to use ReadLang in this way is to input words or expressions into…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As you’ve discovered, refreshing the page is the only way to get the Readlang clickable translations back after a page update at the moment. Fixing this would be quite complicated.

One alternative is to enter your words or phrases into the “Lookup” search box on the Words page (http://readlang.com) – this will show a translation which you can click to immediately add to your word list.

Hope that helps.

4. use another translation service

Maybe it's better to use some other translation services like "lingvo" instead of, I suppose, Google Translate? It's good but sometimes I ought to see some different variants of suggested translations because of inappropriate suggestions that is given here.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Copy to clipboard

I wonder if it would be possible to have the Readlang Web Reader copy the word that was clicked to the local clipboard? The reason for this is that the Web Reader offers just one translation whereas there may be better ones. I have developed my own pop-up dictionary environment that offers a lot more options, such as verb de-inflection, and alternate dictionaries, and multiple translations if available. It works by sensing content copied to the clipboard. In fact, putting the clicked word on the local clipboard opens up a lot of useful local applications. An option might be provided…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. English definition

Hi ;o)

Nice app, I have a suggestion though: reference.com let people choose the option "English definition", shouldn't be great that your app allows to do the same? When I study english I don't like to have the definition in my native language because it forces me to make the translation in my mind whereas I want to think in english! :) I know that a lot of learners think the same (see fluent-forever; fluent in 3 months; Antimoon etc.)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. find a better translation source

First off, google is probably the worst translator you can find. For Thai, you can only choose a letter not a word - so ไ not ไก่...several words are translated incorrectly or not at all. This website is a great idea, but translations need to be on par. Maybe open it up to the community.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Google Translate is actually pretty good from English to/from the main European languages. Sorry that it doesn’t work so well for Thai.

Out of curiosity, do you know of a better machine translation system for Thai → English?

9. Make the flashcard system for customizable

Here's a suggestion I think could be helpful. I read on here before someone suggested that you set up the flash card system where you would have to choose which words you wanted to learn through flash cards but you said you didn't want to do that because than youd have to create this whole "pop-up" feature where it would be distracting and take more time to get through the text and you based this system on making reading an enjoyable process with fewer distractions which I totally understand. I think if you implemented my suggestion you could get a…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. image url save problem

word list > word >image url add,when i add image url,its said saved,but when i refresh web page,the image url was gone,i can't find it anymore.
    may be it's a bug.
    thanks you nice work!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Have an option to show all the superscript translations of highlighted words

When I am reading a text I have uploaded, I wish there was an option to turn on the superscript translations of all the words I have chosen to have highlighted. So I can glance at the text for unfamiliar words and their definitions quickly, just like I would with hand-written notes in a book. Right now, if I'm understanding it correctly, I need to click on each highlighted word individually to see the definition. I think you have to pay google translate for your translations right? So maybe this could be a subscriber-only premium feature. Thanks, Todd

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Change the translating platform please!

I just wanted to say I really dislike the change that you all made recently to how you see the translated words. I know the site it's still very new and are experiencing new things to make it look better but the problem I have with it and a big reason what attracted me to the site was that when I translated something I could see that translation within that 'block' of the word. There was no annoying popup or anything changing about the page so therefore I could read quicker without interruption. This new design you have where the…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can change this setting from the reader sidebar, within the AA tab. Or from the Web Reader menu: set Translations Replace in the Appearance Settings.

Hope that helps. (Sorry for the change of style – I meant to change the default for new users and not existing ones like yourself, luckily it’s easy to change back :-)

13. Provide offline reading

I'm aware this would be incredibly difficult, but it'd be amazing if you ever produced an app or some way to access offline. I often want to use readlang on a plane or somewhere I can't get internet access.

Perhaps even just preprocessing the text and only allowing single word translation in offline mode?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add tags and colour coding options to word highlighting so that I can categorise the words I learn.

The addition of tags and options for colour coding to them would allow users to categorise words (for example by difficulty) and see any occurrence of saved words with the proper colour-coded background in a text, instantly knowing if they've encountered the word already and how difficult they find to memorise it.

Also unknown words should, as an option, be colour-coded as well.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Ability to change the default CEFR designation

Sometimes the CEFR designation seems off, probably because the text is short. I think it should be modifiable or allow the user to add another field with a subjective level.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Link variants of the same word

It would be nice to have variations of the same word to be linked with the same meaning. For example, different tenses of the same verb or different declensions of a word. This could also be added, for example, through the edit word window, with an additional coma separated field (like the existing one) so that if any of the variants appear in the future, it also gets highlighted and the same definition is shown.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow import words from csv format

For those of us who come from LWT or other similar systems, it would be good to be able to import our word list into readlang, including the sample sentences.

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. A tagging system for the public content

The public content might benefit from a tagging system so that content can be searchable. The tagging could have suggestions from previous entered tags from other users...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add the possibility to show only public library content with youtube video

Add the possibility to filter the public content in order to only show content that has a youtube video. This would help those interested in improving the listening skills.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Class Flashcards???

is it possible to have/download a set of flashcards, as the teacher, of the most frequently chosen words of the students?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?