Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

476 results found

1. Develop the possibility to import audio other than text.

In my opinion there is only one thing to add in this wonderful tool to make it perfect for language learning, and that is the possibility to import also the audio associated to a text.
    For example, at the moment I am studying german and I use some internet sites, like Deutche Welle and others , where you can find endless content to read and to listen, designed for german learners. Importing not only the text but also the audio (mp3 format), like for youtube videos, in Readlang would be something extremely useful.
    Thank you and best regards
    Francesco (Italy)

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. provide searchable help files

I have just spent over an hour trying to figure out how to use Readlang. After watching a half dozen videos over and over I'm still not sure how to use Readlang or even exactly sure what it is supposed to do. I use the Chrome Language Immersion App and Anki flash cards extensively. As near as I can figure out this app is intended to be a kind of combination of the two. Unfortunately, all the instructions on program usage that I could find are based on videos. Videos are great at explaining a feature but not a program.…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello, I know my help files aren’t that complete, and I’m sorry it’s taken you so long to try to use it.

Readlang is NOT equivalent to Language Immersion for Chrome, it’s actually the opposite. e.g. In your case:
    - Language Immersion for Chrome: you read English websites, and some parts are automatically translated to French.
    - Readlang: you read French texts or websites, and parts are converted to English ONLY when you click on them, to help you understand.

It’s intended for intermediate and advanced learners, who feel ready to read entire French texts, and the way you should use it is to find French websites or texts to practice reading. Ideally they should be interesting to you and at your ability level.

Here are the steps you should probably take to get started with learning French:

Prepare
    -—————

- Go to http://readlang.com and log in or sign…

3. faster way to delete

I have recently started using Readlang to work though books and add unknown words to a wordlist that I then export to Anki.

At my level (B2+) there often isn't a useful Google translation for the words I am looking up (this occurs perhaps 1 in 3 times). I also often look up both translations of word phrases, as well as individual words in the phrase, and so end up with multiple cards (word phrase, individual words), of which I often only want one card.

It would be nice if I could simply delete words from the word list by…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You may like to try the new auto-highlight feature: You may like to try the new auto-highlight feature

If you click on a previously translated word/phrase it will present a pop up allowing you to delete it without opening the sidebar.

4. Publish EPUB rankings of books

I have been playing around with the difficultly rankings generated by Readlang.

I am not convinced that the "B2" "C1" etc labels are that useful. I am convinced that really map onto these levels in a meaningful way. However, a couple of quick and dirty tests I have done to test the algorithm suggests that it does generate something that correlates with the difficulty of the book.

Would it be possible to publicly list the relative rankings of novels uploaded to Readlang? It would be really helpful to know for instance, that a certain author is in the "B2" range…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree that the difficulty grades are very rough and not as useful as they should be. I’ve been planning for a long time to open source the algorithm, which is very simple, with some tests, so that others could help improve and calibrate it for different languages. The trouble is I have a lot of other things to do and extracting this code, creating tests, and documenting it never seems like a high enough priority. I would make it a priority if I were convinced that enough people would contribute to it.

5. Graphs

What about a more extensive graph that shows not just a week but a longer time period and total number of words learned over a period of time

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. somehow link Quizlet to your Readlang program or duplicate much of what they have available with their games which enhance learning words.

I am not a computer geek. I wish I were. But with the age of technology going the way it is, like with apps of this that and everything. I figure it is reasonable to link your program seamlessly to others. I realize there may be permissions necessary to do so, however it should be worth the cost and effort. I personally think that Readlang should be marketed on every website that has to do with learning another language. Link that, and you should be selling your product like hotcakes. Thanks for a dynamite program. Keep up the great work.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add furigana for Japanese (and pinyin for Chinese)

I suggest you add an option to toggle furigana on and off for japanese, and/or give the hiragana in parenthesis, once you translate a word.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. For the time being I’m afraid I don’t have the resources to add features specifically for Japanese. Sorry, but hopefully in future this will be possible.

Steve

8. would it be possible to allow editing of the word? (e.g. to add gender)

First - excellent idea and execution. Just found readlang this afternoon!

The question is - if it's not too much work, could you enable editing of the foreign language word by users - for me, mainly for adding gender information in some way.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

It is possible to edit the word, translation and context sentence by clicking the little pencil icon in the corner of the flashcards, or by clicking on one of the words on the “Words” page.

The way I use it is to leave the original word and context alone, but I alter the translation and perhaps add clarification there. e.g. in the translation I may change “it” to “it (female)”. Another thing you can do is add an alternative original word, but if you do this, please make sure it is exactly appropriate for the context sentence.

Does this help with your query?
    Steve

9. web reader add words to list

I'm not sure if I'm getting it right, but I've installed the chrome ios readlang web reader -- it translates fine, but the words I've clicked on don't seem to be added to my word list. Is that function not available or am I doing something wrong?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This certainly should work, I’ve just tested it and for me it works fine.

Are you sure you’re logged into Readlang on iOS Chrome? You can log by either:

1. Going to http://readlang.com and logging in to your account.
    2. Using the web reader, try to translate a phrase, it will only allow you to do this if you’re logged in, otherwise it will prompt you to log in.

10. allow students to click the new word to hear the pronunciation

using the chrome extension, I can have students click on the word and see it in their language...but they need to know how to pronounce it in English in the page rather than having to go into readlang's page and hearing it and then go back

BTW, amazing, awesome app!

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Work with Transparent Language (BYKI)

it would be nice if i could import my vocab from readlang into Byki, since they have a more robust flash card software

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Did you know it’s possible to export words from Readlang and to customise the format? I mention it on this post: http://blog.readlang.com/2014/04/23/tips-to-take-charge-of-your-vocabulary-learning.html

I haven’t investigated BYKI yet so I’m not sure what kind of import options they have.

Also, just curious what they offer in their flashcards that’s missing in Readlang? Or have you had any bad experience with Readlang’s flashcards that makes you consider it not robust?

12. group for learning

we make a groupe in facebook for learning English together as a frinds in one groupe

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. learn English text like a song

you put any text . when someone want to read the text can listen what is writen in this text too , for good prononsiation.thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. offer an export field that uses Anki's cloze syntax but with first letter showing (for hint)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this AWESOME product! I LOVE it!

If it is not too much trouble, I was hoping you might add export fields that use Anki's cloze syntax but with the first letter showing for a hint. Specifically, this is what I have in mind:

Context (Anki cloze w/ first-letter hint):
    o{{c1::riginal word}}

Context (Anki cloze w/ first-letter hint and translation):
    o{{c1::riginal word::translation}}

This is something recommended in the Anki manual, and I think it could be a big help for not just me but others.

At any rate, thanks again, Steve, for this fantastic product!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Sort alphabetically words

Click to sort words alphabetically in ascending or descending order display

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Enable linking back to the original source text for edited words in the word list

Hi Steve

First of all, I just wanted to sincerely thank you for Readlang - it's the end of my first week of proper use and it has already been hugely transformational for me in my language learning.

One thing I have struggled with, though, is keeping my words sorted - when I save a new word to my list, I then like to edit it to be in the infinitive form if it's a verb or the masculine form if it's an adjective - this really helps me when studying the new words. The problem is that that then…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, I’ll investigate why the link appears to be broken after editing.

But really editing the words like this will make Readlang’s flashcards not function correctly, so I’d recommend to. After you’ve successfully remembered what the word is in English, the next time you see the flashcard it will ask you what it is in your target language, and will blank out the word from the example sentence. Except that if you’ve altered the word, it will not be blanked out, so you’ll see the conjugated form of the verb for example.

I actually LIKE the fact that it lets me learn conjugated forms of verbs in context. It lets me practise both vocabulary and grammar (the conjugation) at the same time.

Does this make sense?

What about putting the infinitive in the “alternatives” field of the flashcard instead, do you think that would work for you?

17. iOS app

Hi Steve,
    it is a very usefull website but it will be very profitable for you to create a native iOS app, maybe you should think about it.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "14 / 15 words left" never changes

Studying flashcards for the first time, I chose 15, but the counter doesn't get updated when I go through a word.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the massive delay, going through old suggestions and this one obviously fell through the cracks.

This sounds like a bug, if it’s still happening please let me know!

19. Save german nouns with gender information

If I click in "Gericht", I'd like Readlang to add "das Gericht" as the flashcard for that word.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

One way to to accomplish this is to always include the article (e.g. in English a, an, the) along with the word. The idea of Readlang is to always learn words or phrases as they appear in a given context.

I do agree that it would be nice to show the gender information without needing to include other words. Just offering a alternative solution that may help.

20. Print out vocab lists

It would be very beneficial if I we could print out the vocab list in a document. For example, have 2 columns on a page. the left side the foreign language and on the right side the native language.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree, a simple option to print out a list would be a good feature to add in future.

In the meantime. Did you know there is a flexible export option on the words page?

1. Go to http://readlang.com/words
    2. Select the words you wish to export (to select all words click the checkbox to the left of the “Actions” button, then if there are more than 25 words, click “Select all ??? words”.
    3. Click Actions → Export
    4. Choose which fields to export. For a simple word list, use only “Original” and “Translation”. To include the contexts, leave it as the default.
    5. Click “Export File”

This will save a file to your computer which you can open in another program to view and print. A spreadsheet such as Excel or Google Drive Spreadsheet would work well.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base