Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

4 results found

1. Shared words data: context, translation, pictures, definition aka shared vocab

Hello Steve, good job, your app is really close to what I was "dreaming" to build, but whoa-la you did it almost the same way.

I believe in learning=experiencing, not dull drilling. That is why word context and pictures are fare more important than drilling "flashcards" ( memorizing word and its translation ).

You have nice tool for skimming through word context (i use it rather then flashcard typing mode). Typing mode is nice finale, once I "know and feel" the word.

I usually add one or more context ideally with good picture and definition (I am advanced learner thus…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently all your words are private but I’ve been planning to open things up so that by default everyone shares their words and phrases publicly, and probably to restrict the option of private words to paying users only. This would open the doors for the kind of collaborative features you suggest.

Watch this space!

2. Add a text-search facility.

Add a text-search facility.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow import and use of EPUB documents directly.

If you allow import and use of EPUB documents, i.e. give Readlang the function to be an e-book reader for EPUB format (as well as text format). This would save having to convert to text in Calibre (not an onerous task admittedly).

I think what lies behind my thinking is more that the user will benefit from the look and feel of the e-book he may be used to already, and also have benefit of any chapter-headings or illustrations.

I notice that for example Calibre does not have support for foreign language dictionaries (it does allow English language lookup in…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The reason ePubs can be smaller than txt files is that they are compressed. If you rename an ePub file to .zip you can look inside :)

If I support ePub it will certainly be DRM free books only to start with. Savy technical users can easily remove DRM for their personal books using Calibre.

To support DRM ePub books seems to be very expensive. I looked briefly and it costs $10,000 upfront for Adobe Content Server plus a charge for each book distributed. So I’d need to be very confident that Readlang could make money before going down this road.

Don’t want to promise a timeframe, but I’m going to start working on DRM free ePub support soon.

4. What happened to the scroll option?

I remember I once used the scroll option, but now I don't see it. I prefer to scroll.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry, I removed this for now because it didn’t seem polished enough, e.g.:

- The setting wasn’t remembered like the other formatting options
    - Possible confusion when it’s not available for longer texts (with long texts, scrolling through the entire text causes the browser to slow down and struggle)

I’ll work on it a bit more and put it back. I may even may it the default option for shorter texts.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base