Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. just letting you know that I like Readlang

Hi Steve,

I don't have any urgent suggestions at the moment. I just wanted to express my support for your site. I think it's great work that you've done, and I hope you continue to develop it. Respect.

If I did have a suggestion, it would be that I quite enjoy the feature of different word colors in LWT. If you were able to add that type of feature, and any other features that make LWT desirable as recommended by others, then you would totally destroy LWT. I feel like your site has greater potential due to its superior interface…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Video window on top

I think that having the youtube window below the text is useful only when listening to audiobooks with no relevance on video images.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes, originally the idea was to add an audio player, but YouTube proved simpler to implement. I agree for watching videos the layout is far from ideal. Perhaps in future I’ll experiment with a different layout more suited to video.

3. Suggestion--hide context tip by default

Just a quick suggestion -- when using flashcards, the context sentence is given at the top of the cards. This often makes it too easy, and is an irresistible temptation. It would be best if it was hidden, and the user had to click the field to reveal it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Note that after you guess a flashcard’s meaning, all subsequent times the flashcard is shown will include the word you are trying to guess blanked out. So now you need to guess the word in your target language which is a bit more difficult.

The context is often necessary since it may affect the exact form of the word you are try to guess. e.g. in Spanish you may need the context to know whether an adjective applies to a male or female noun, and there are plenty of other examples.

The context can also affect the meaning of a word, e.g. in English “poker” can be a card game or a stick, and the context helps clarify this.

I do understand your complaint, but for the above reasons, I think that a context should always be visible.

4. Create one bookshelf for each language

I am studying two languages at the moment.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but when I translate one word in one language I have the flashcard in both languages.

It would be great if we only have the words to study in the language that was created the flashcard.

The major problem is the flashcards are mixed.

Thank you
    Eduardo

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This definitely shouldn’t happen and if it is it sounds like a bug.

To be more specific:

1. If you change your “I’m learning” language at the top of the screen, you should only see books and flashcards in that language.

2. Your “I know…” language is not meant to change, since you only have one native language, and if you do change this you will indeed find that your flashcards have a mix of translations in different languages.

Could you please clarify what is happening for you.

Thanks,
    Steve

5. Undo button

Hello Steve,

It would be nice when reviewing cards to have an "undo" button for the my last scored card. I sometimes tap the wrong key, and it would help the spaced repetition algorithm to get more accurate information if I could go back and change my scoring.

Compounding my problem is that I use SuperMemo and Anki, and they each have slightly different scoring scales, which means that I'm probably a little more prone to error when switching between them.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. At least make public library search-engine indexable!

It shouldn't be too difficult to make the public library crawlable. Lots more exposure + one can just use a "site:readlang.com" google query to look through the public library!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Consider integrating freq lists from Bangla-Tangla

FYI, a Bangla / বাংলা frequency list (seems to reflect both stems and real-life text) is on the site http://www.banglatangla.com/. Seemed worth at least letting you know--I'm just now getting back into RL again. :-)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Display pronunciation as well as translation for Japanese

With Japanese (and other Asian languages) the pronunciation is usually not apparent from the source text. To learn/memorize effectively the reader needs to know the pronunciation along with the translation. Pronunciations are always displayed in the Japanese script called Hiragana. A good source for this for Japanese is the online dictionary at Monash University (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C). They have an API that is described here: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdicinf.html#backdoor_tag

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 3 22 2014

Good evening Steve,

I am not sure where you are in the world.

Your app would fit in nicely at demo-pitch events. They are fun, and an individual gets funding. The people are from all over the the Bay area.

Also, a comment company called disqus has an easier comment posting service.

You are not alone, humans desire to be understood. We are still social-beings.

I was able to find your post at the y-combinator site. To me, it is an informative site that has great posts concerning coding.

A suggestion I follow that is helpful: have positive thoughts, and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Offer infinitive form

It would be nice to add the infinitive form of a word as a flashcard if the word in question is verb. I think a lot of learners prefer to remember the infinitive ( + grammar) over learning all verb in random conjugations.

Really nice tool though, found it through HN.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Could be a nice option. Then again, I actually like the way it works at the moment since it makes me practice at verb conjugation at the same time.

Note that editing your flashcards is highly encouraged, and you could potentially add the infinitive as an alternative translation manually if you prefer, although I would argue it’s better to practice the actual conjugations.

11. possibility to add descriptions of the texts or videos in the public library,

if possible in several languages ( not everybody speaks English well enough) that way people will know what the video or text is about at a glance.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the delayed response.

For all the other languages with frequency lists I’ve used lists of 50,000 words (conjugated forms included)

6,000 seems on the low side, but better than nothing. I’ll look into adding this one if it seems nothing else is available. Thanks!

13. Percentage read

In the bookshelf, to the left of the texts you have read, is a percentage. In my case, this doesn't show any kind of correlation with how much I've read, as I have read all of these texts from start to finish, but none of them show anywhere near 100%. In fact, most of them say 0%!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Weekly reminder

Hey,
    I might not do it everyday but weekly might work well for me.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. language selection bug?

I have set my known/learning languages several times, but when I log in the next time they have been reversed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are two ways i can think this might be happening:

1. Every time you open a document in a certain language your current learning language will switch to that one.

2. Perhaps you’ve bookmarked one of the library pages for a specific language.

e.g. if you bookmark http://readlang.com/es/library every time you go to that page it will switch your learning language to Spanish since the URL includes “es”

Could this explain things?

16. Make web reader bar multi line on small screens

I have been loving the Web Reader bookmarklet in Firefox for Android. There is one glitch, though: the reader bar seems to extend off of the mobile screen. Could this be fixed with a multi line bar?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Bug report

I would just like to report what seems to be a bug in chrome where the green bar animates down the page covering the content. Multiword selection doesn't seem to work either. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks.

When the green bar animates down and darkens, there should be a message which appears over it. There was a bug yesterday causing the message not to appear. It should be fixed now so please try refreshing the page and reloading the Readlang Web Reader and trying again.

I’m guessing you’ve hit the 20 phrases / day limit for free accounts, if it’s your first time hitting the limit there’ll be an option to claim 20 more for free.

Please let me know if you encounter any more problems.

18. Exporting with no translations in Anki

I follow "No Translations" philosophy, but when i import my words in Anki are imported translations too: is it no possible to delete them?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Fabio,

It is possible to customise your export format by dragging around the boxes on the export dialog. Simply drag the default “Context (with translation)” into “Don’t import these” and add “Context (with blank)” instead.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Thanks,
    Steve

19. Display additional information about words (gender, irregular verbs...)

It would be nice if the flashcard would display additionnal information about words.
    I would be extremely helpful to display the word gender (and plural form) for languages that have declension, such as german or russian.

Also, information about verbs could be useful, such as irregular vers, and such.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Just a comment

hi, i have just found your app.I am very impressed with it.Better than lingua.ly and alot of other language websites i have come across.
    Congratulations and well done.its late so I will come back tomorrow to check it out further............

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?