General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

IMPORTANT: Readlang has been in maintenance mode since 2016 and will continue this way for the foreseeable future. We will continue to ensure the site works as it has been, but no new languages or features will be added.
  1. dictionary does not work

dictionary tab does not give me definition as it used to. only word not found from Russian to English.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. offer an export field that uses Anki's cloze syntax but with first letter showing (for hint)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this AWESOME product! I LOVE it!

If it is not too much trouble, I was hoping you might add export fields that use Anki's cloze syntax but with the first letter showing for a hint. Specifically, this is what I have in mind:

Context (Anki cloze w/ first-letter hint):
    o{{c1::riginal word}}

Context (Anki cloze w/ first-letter hint and translation):
    o{{c1::riginal word::translation}}

This is something recommended in the Anki manual, and I think it could be a big help for not just me but others.

At any rate, thanks again, Steve, for this fantastic product!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. add Latgalian as a language to learn

I am a linguist and like readlang very much. I would like to explore its use with an underressourced language, Latgalian. It will be mainly used by speakers of Latvian reading texts in Latgalian and compiling wordlists from texts. The language's ISO is ltg, the language name in Latgalian is latgalīšu volūda. Thank you very much for considering this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Use Google Translate Audio for Portuguese

The audio for Portuguese is different from Google Translate, and sometimes mispronounces, eg., ç is pronounced as /k/. The quality in G Translate is better: slower, brigher and clearer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m using the Microsoft Translate Speech API for this, which is actually better for Spanish pronunciation than Google Translate IMO. It’s a shame the Portugese isn’t so good.

Unfortunately Google don’t provide an official API to allow other developers to use their text-to-speech service. I could look into other services. but I’m not prioritizing this for the time being.

5. Privacy notification of dictionary

The privacy notification in the dictionary pops up again and again after me giving my consent. I’m on a Apple IPad Pro 2. Gen iOS 13 on Safari.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Just a comment

hi, i have just found your app.I am very impressed with it.Better than lingua.ly and alot of other language websites i have come across.
    Congratulations and well done.its late so I will come back tomorrow to check it out further............

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Flashcard statistics/setting

Would it be possible to enhance flashcard statistics with e.g. how many words I'm supposed to review today i.e. to keep reviews and the new words apart. If I have no time to study them today, I'd just review the old ones to keep them alive in my head. After my reviews if I had more time, I'd start to learn new words.

Cheers

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. offer an export field that uses Anki's cloze syntax in reverse

Hi Steve,

can you also add an third export fields using the Anki cloze format like

Context (Anki cloze with reverse translation):
    {{c1::translation::original word}}

for reverse learning because Anki cannot switch front and back for cloze cards.

Many thanks in advance.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Offer infinitive form

It would be nice to add the infinitive form of a word as a flashcard if the word in question is verb. I think a lot of learners prefer to remember the infinitive ( + grammar) over learning all verb in random conjugations.

Really nice tool though, found it through HN.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Could be a nice option. Then again, I actually like the way it works at the moment since it makes me practice at verb conjugation at the same time.

Note that editing your flashcards is highly encouraged, and you could potentially add the infinitive as an alternative translation manually if you prefer, although I would argue it’s better to practice the actual conjugations.

10. drama suspense action

about people and places

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Undo button

Hello Steve,

It would be nice when reviewing cards to have an "undo" button for the my last scored card. I sometimes tap the wrong key, and it would help the spaced repetition algorithm to get more accurate information if I could go back and change my scoring.

Compounding my problem is that I use SuperMemo and Anki, and they each have slightly different scoring scales, which means that I'm probably a little more prone to error when switching between them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Include the Title in the "body" of an article.

When importing an article from the web, the importer does a good job of distinguishing the body of the article from the title. The only catch is, we can't actually "readlang" the title! The title needs to be just as interactive as the body text. Thanks. :)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make web reader bar multi line on small screens

I have been *loving* the Web Reader bookmarklet in Firefox for Android. There is one glitch, though: the reader bar seems to extend off of the mobile screen. Could this be fixed with a multi line bar?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. exporting the words alphabetically or by theme

I've already sent a request for help, but didn't get an answer.

I save my words as I go along. I'd like to be able to export the words I've saved in alphabetical order, or the click on and export them to Word or Excel, to create a customized vocabulary list on a specific theme.
    How can I do that? Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Display additional information about words (gender, irregular verbs...)

It would be nice if the flashcard would display additionnal information about words.
    I would be extremely helpful to display the word gender (and plural form) for languages that have declension, such as german or russian.

Also, information about verbs could be useful, such as irregular vers, and such.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. readability levels

Here are some other algorithms for calculating readability. Same idea, different implementations.
    http://www.editcentral.com/gwt1/EditCentral.html#notes

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make the sign-up process easier

The sign up link on the main page only allows me to sign in, not sign up. I spent 15 or more minutes trying to figure out how to create an account using email. I finally found a video that pointed me in the right direction. I almost gave up.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Option to switch off the video and only read

Currently, if the text has video, the video plays along with the text. But if I want to read the text only, it is difficult. I can pause the video and read, but if I click any text for translation, the video will start from that place. An option to disable the video would be great.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. monitor and review your articles for accuracy, in content and skill level.

You have many articles listed as A1 but include passages from Kipling, Twain, and many political and religious texts. These are not suited for anyone below a B (or even occasionally C) level skills. It also looks like many texts are written by non native speakers and contain many errors which do not help the learner to learn the language correctly.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Percentage read

In the bookshelf, to the left of the texts you have read, is a percentage. In my case, this doesn't show any kind of correlation with how much I've read, as I have read all of these texts from start to finish, but none of them show anywhere near 100%. In fact, most of them say 0%!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Cat!

That’s very strange, doesn’t seem to happen for me but I’ll do some testing tomorrow and try to figure it out. Which browser are you using?

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base