General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

IMPORTANT: Readlang has been in maintenance mode since 2016 and will continue this way for the foreseeable future. We will continue to ensure the site works as it has been, but no new languages or features will be added.
  1. Allow for annotations of texts

For words with multiple meanings, or words that have a specific meaning based on their context, or for proper nouns. It would be helpful for native speakers to annotate the meanings of these words, instead of just giving the generic dictionary definition.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Integrated dictionaries no longer seem to work with arabic script

The default dictionary for arabic no longer seems to work, and my attempts to add others haven't proven fruitful so far (e.g. http://www.almaany.com/en/dict/ar-en/{{query}}).

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks for the amazing site!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Feedback / or / idea for feature

Hello,
    When I click on a text as "read", I like to have options, such as "archive", "hide"... etc.
    Thanks!!!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Why not change the English word by a synonime in English, too?

People studying english at a certain level might not know the meaning of a Word but they could perfectly know one of its synonimes. I find that sometimes the translation of the English Word into Spanish is not very accurate.
    For instance, the Word "trigger" in my last Reading didn't mean "gatillo" but something like shooting. Excuse me if I am mistaken.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Bug report

I would just like to report what seems to be a bug in chrome where the green bar animates down the page covering the content. Multiword selection doesn't seem to work either. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks.

When the green bar animates down and darkens, there should be a message which appears over it. There was a bug yesterday causing the message not to appear. It should be fixed now so please try refreshing the page and reloading the Readlang Web Reader and trying again.

I’m guessing you’ve hit the 20 phrases / day limit for free accounts, if it’s your first time hitting the limit there’ll be an option to claim 20 more for free.

Please let me know if you encounter any more problems.

6. Chinese learning

Dear Readlang team,

Thanks for your amazing product. I love it and i am sure that this software will reach the sky. Would love to see pinyin when learning words, and to make it even better would love to see words that are HSK targets. Keen to discuss this, would be amazing and I'd be willing to go premium for this.

Best,

Paul

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. phrases

For subscribers....let us separate phrases. (in french) If ever i click on a noun phrase that i want to save as a flash card... I can't click on the following words otherwise it attaches itself to the previous phrase.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow native speakers to edit translations

I appreciate the use of Google translate, but there are errors! I clicked on an article from German into English, just to see what would happen. When I selected an unfamiliar word in English, I was given the German word, and it was conjugated. However, it said there was no English word! Case made.
    I want to refer my students to this remarkable resource, but I cannot with bizarre translations popping up.
    Generally speaking, the best translations are accomplished when a native speaker translates from the "other" language into his or her own.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. to make learning language using the same language possible.

For advanced learners, like me, I want to be able to see the detailed translation of an English word using English, just like what Google does when you enter "define XXX". I would certainly subscribe to premium if this feature is possible.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. some English to Arabic words are wrongly translated.

I do suggest adding a button whereby users flag those words for your review.
    By the way the application is great and I find it very interesting.
    Good Luck.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. problem

Hi,
    I have a desktop computer with a chrome browser and installed your web browser with no problems.However I have also an Acer chromebook which of course uses the same browser but also googles chrome operating system.I tried to install your app from their web store but i keep getting an error message "could not create download directory".If i then go direct to your website and login,ok,then of course when i try to read something i get your web page indicating that i must install the the "R" ,click on the button ,but nothing happens.A pity really because I am…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid I don’t have a Chromebook to test Readlang on so can’t investigate this problem.

I was under the impression that Chrome extensions should work the same on Chromebooks as on Desktop Chrome but perhaps not.

Does it still not work for you?

12. Improve the statistics

Make the statistics in the long term view-able! I would like to see my known words increasing, how many previously unknown words ive seen and since remembered. with graphs and tables like link q. this would be massive for motivation!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please add a dictionary form to the flashcards

For example I'm learning German. Nouns in German have one of three genders and to be able to use the word correctly, one has to know its gender. So when I'm learning words I need to learn their gender as well.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Purpose of Alert?

Every time that I am reading an uploaded text in Readlang Library, I get the following alert partway through the text:

Alert
    To use the Readlang Web Reader:
    1. Drag this "Readlang Web Reader" link to your bookmarks bar
    2. Browse to the page you want to read
    3. Click the "Readlang Web Reader" bookmark

I already have the Green R button in the taskbar of my browser which I click on whenever I want to use it on a web page.

I am using the Chromium browser on Ubuntu. I'd prefer not to see this alert. Is there some…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. youtube

youtubeunblock

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. youtube

youtube

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow Highlighting with Showing Translation or Dictionary

During my first pass through an article, I like to just highlight the words I don't know, but not actually see the translations or the dictionary. In addition to the "Translations On" and "Translations Off (monolingual)" options, it would be nice if there was a "Highlight Only" mode. Perhaps this could also be implemented/presented as a "Don't open dictionary" option on the "Translations Off" mode.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Contact NYCDOE to let them know about Readlang and form an "alliance" or connection

Contact the NYC DOE and let them know about Readlang because you would have so many teachers, students, and schools using Readlang and you could even bring back "Classroom". There are so many English Language Learners trying to read the Gettysburg Address and "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" in mainstream classes with varying knowledge of English ranging from high-level to only ten words! ESL and content teachers struggle to scaffold texts, teach English, help students. But with Readlang, students can access many more texts, thereby learning content and English at the same time, faster. A principal (I showed…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. ReadLang on Google Translate page

If you set the Google Translate page to translate from your native language to your target language, enter a word or phrase, and then click on the ReadLang button, the target word or phrase works normally in ReadLang. But if you then change the input to GT, producing a new target language output, then the green line for ReadLang does not appear and Readlang does not work. If you refresh the page, ReadLang will then work with the new translated word or phrase.

The reason I like to use ReadLang in this way is to input words or expressions into…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

As you’ve discovered, refreshing the page is the only way to get the Readlang clickable translations back after a page update at the moment. Fixing this would be quite complicated.

One alternative is to enter your words or phrases into the “Lookup” search box on the Words page (http://readlang.com) – this will show a translation which you can click to immediately add to your word list.

Hope that helps.

20. Glossing Mode in web reader

Glossing mode (http://blog.readlang.com/2015/03/08/new-look-translations.html) is awesome. It would be great to bring such awesomeness to the web reader as well. Any plans in this direction?

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 14 15 16 18 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories