Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

473 results found

1. Make the flashcard system for customizable

Here's a suggestion I think could be helpful. I read on here before someone suggested that you set up the flash card system where you would have to choose which words you wanted to learn through flash cards but you said you didn't want to do that because than youd have to create this whole "pop-up" feature where it would be distracting and take more time to get through the text and you based this system on making reading an enjoyable process with fewer distractions which I totally understand. I think if you implemented my suggestion you could get a…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. A tagging system for words saved in the word list

It would be nice being able to tag any word/phrase stored in the word list. I mean something like labels in GMail or tags in Anki, which are optional of course, but very powerful and useful as well.

Some people might just like to tag words as "verb", "noun" etc.; some others might like to assign more personal tags as "fun", "love", "idiomatic" etc.

This would provide an alternative method for researching group of words in the word list and it would allow to use some flash card sessions only for them.

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add furigana for Japanese (and pinyin for Chinese)

I suggest you add an option to toggle furigana on and off for japanese, and/or give the hiragana in parenthesis, once you translate a word.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. For the time being I’m afraid I don’t have the resources to add features specifically for Japanese. Sorry, but hopefully in future this will be possible.

Steve

4. Web Reader extension for desktop Safari

Create an extension for desktop Safari just like for Chrome.

(Note, for now you can use the bookmarklet which functions identically, the only difference is that it's accessed via a link in your bookmarks instead of via a nice toolbar button: http://readlang.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/523289)

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. language auto-detect (Chrome extension/bookmarklet)

It would be nice that the chrome extension/bookmarklet was able to detect the language of the text and set the values "Translate from:" and "to" accordingly.

I think this is pretty easy to implement because Google translate API provides a function to detect the language used in a text.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks. One issue is that Google charge per character that you feed into the language detection API, so if I threw a whole web-page into it it would get expensive. To implement this I would probably look into implementing a method myself using word lists from all the languages.

Currently, I look for some information embedded in HTML meta tags of the web page which indicates the language it’s in. Of course, most sites don’t use this, and it’s not always reliable, so usually it’s up to the user to make sure it’s correct.

6. Graphs

What about a more extensive graph that shows not just a week but a longer time period and total number of words learned over a period of time

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. allow students to click the new word to hear the pronunciation

using the chrome extension, I can have students click on the word and see it in their language...but they need to know how to pronounce it in English in the page rather than having to go into readlang's page and hearing it and then go back

BTW, amazing, awesome app!

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add an audio player with keyboard controls (play, pause, skip back, slow-down)

Similar to the one used by http://otranscribe.com/

Could be used to play .mp3 or .ogg files, would be ideal for podcasts or audio-books

123 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I've just added a "Read Aloud" feature using synthetic voices. If your browser supports it, you'll see a play/pause button at the bottom of the reader page which, when clicked, will read the text out loud, highlighting the current word being spoken. This is only available if your browser supports locally generated text-to-speech on the device you are using.

This was only added last night, so if you have a Readlang tab already open, please refresh it to get access to the new feature. And if you notice any bugs, please let me know!

The feature is available to all Readlang users, and Premium users are additionally able to customize the voice in the "AA" sidebar tab.

Please let me know what you think!

(I also like the idea of being able to upload audio files with real human voices, and am…

9. Save german nouns with gender information

If I click in "Gericht", I'd like Readlang to add "das Gericht" as the flashcard for that word.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

One way to to accomplish this is to always include the article (e.g. in English a, an, the) along with the word. The idea of Readlang is to always learn words or phrases as they appear in a given context.

I do agree that it would be nice to show the gender information without needing to include other words. Just offering a alternative solution that may help.

10. Sort alphabetically words

Click to sort words alphabetically in ascending or descending order display

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add some stats/reports

Hello,

One more idea - it would be nice to be able to see statistics eg how many words read/ hours spent / words studied etc. I find this kind of info quite motivating , not sure if others do as well.

Thanks

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add better support for Chinese

It would be helpful if Chinese words had pinyin so that pronunciation is easier. Chinese words also consist of multiple characters so the ability to select phrases would be nice as well.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

True, I know pinyin would be useful, but it’s not high on my list of priorities for now while I’m focussed on improving the other languages.

Did you realise that you can already select phrases by dragging to select multiple characters?

14. Don't automatically show English translation for flashcards.

When reviewing flashcards, I find that my eyes go straight to the English translation rather than the sentence context. It would be nice if there was an option to make it so that user has to click to show the English translation. That way, the default would be for the user to read the sentence and figure out what the appropriate word is and only clicks to see the english translation when it's too hard to tell from the context. The hope is that this may allow the user to stay in his/her target language more often.

Thanks!

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow offline flashcards

Make the current webpage work offline for studying flashcards.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Note field on flashcards

It would be great if a user could write a few lines of text about each flashcard for a mem (like memrise) or even a few translation notes. I know there's support for adding pictures, but my mems have always been text-based. I tried putting this in a new context field, but then my mem would appear above the card while I was trying to think of the translation.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Same idea as http://readlang.uservoice.com/forums/192149-general/suggestions/5278506-extra-field-for-answer-side-of-flashcards, so repeating the comment I made there…

There’s an “Alternatives” field that you could add this kind of information to.

It is designed to accept alternative synonyms of the word when you type an answer, but apart from that it behaves as you are suggesting – it appears when you reveal the word in your target language.

I suppose it would be nice to make a distinction between “alternative answer” and “notes”, but at the same time I don’t want to clutter the editing interface too much. What do you think?

17. Add Esperanto as a Language and/or let users add custom languages

Two things here:

First off, I'd love to be able to use Esperanto with readlang. It's supported by Google translate (so there's no issue of translations), and I'd even be okay with partial support.

Second off, while on that topic, it'd be quite nice to either crowd source the languages supported or allow users to add custom languages.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add an additional exportable field "monolingual definition"

I'd love to have both translation and monolingual definition fields in the word list - ideally with the option to connect both with custom dictionaries.

The reason for this is that my Anki notes have both translation and monolingual definition fields. (My Spanish isn't advanced enough yet that I could always work with monolingual definitions, but starting to integrate them helps me get there.)

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. (long-term?) - Parallel Texts? (parallel versions of the same book).

I was wondering if you might think about supporting parallel texts, which is a way that some learners like to read their books.

I should say that I'm not really thinking of an actual parallel-ised version of a book (although that might be another option), but when you have, say, an e-book in your target language, and a translation of it into your native language as another e-book.

I think with suitable "screen gymnastics" it's probably possible to read a book in parallel already with something like Calibre, but it would be great if there were a tool specifically designed…

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I really like this idea. In fact I’ve been thinking about something similar for a while.

When a text is far beyond your reading level a side by side option would be ideal. And when you aren’t struggling so much, it’s probably better to show the translation only for sentences or paragraphs as needed, like you suggest.

No promises on this at the moment though I’m afraid, I have a lot of other work to do first.

20. remember export settings

it would be great it the tool either remembered your last export settings (which fields you used) or if you could set that in the prefences

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 9 11 13 23 24