Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

476 results found

1. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Could readers turn on or off the synchronizing brown marker on Youtube videos (some students will love it, others find it distracting)

Make it so readers can turn on or off the synchronizing, brown highlighter on Youtube videos. Then my students who find it really distracting could turn it off (and turn it on if they get lost and need temporary help finding their place) but students who love it can keep the moving highlighter.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried this with your students yet? If so, roughly how many found it distracting?

I don’t have much time to alter Readlang at the moment and will only add more options like this if it benefits a lot of users.

3. filter to remove already read articles and watched videos

if there's not a filter already somewhere, developing an option to filter read content would be helpful to user. I keep seeing the content I already worked on all the time and the only way to keep track of what I did is to "love" them so they have a mark.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Google translate alternative translations

Have you given any thought to doing something similar to what Google translate house, where you can click on a translated text and select an alternative translation? I had just recently discovered this tool this past weekend, and have been having some fun getting to know it's capabilities. What I've been doing in the past was taking my own foreign text dividing it up into sentences or phrases based on punctuation and putting that into Google translate and as I'm reading selecting the alternative translations where it makes more sense right in line with the text. And then I can…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s a good idea. But unfortunately google translate doesn’t offer these alternative translations via its API (which is what Readlang pays for to get its translations). This is frustrating since they do offer these alternatives on their own website. One option I have is to use Microsoft’s Bing translate service in addition to Google Translate which does provide alternative translations. This isn’t likely to happen any time soon though I’m afraid.

5. Allow native speakers to edit translations

I appreciate the use of Google translate, but there are errors! I clicked on an article from German into English, just to see what would happen. When I selected an unfamiliar word in English, I was given the German word, and it was conjugated. However, it said there was no English word! Case made.
    I want to refer my students to this remarkable resource, but I cannot with bizarre translations popping up.
    Generally speaking, the best translations are accomplished when a native speaker translates from the "other" language into his or her own.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Learn words according to list or to CEFR levels (A1,A2, B1...)

Algorithme to suggest you texts according to the list of words you need to learn. For example, you are going to pass A2 exam, so readlang could show the text with the words you've not mastered yet which are required on this A2 level so one could be sure to know them all.

For people who have to prepare for a certain exam it would be really useful!

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Create distinction between words and phrases

It'd be great if words and phrases are sorted as different lists so that learners can revise phrases when they need to without having to skip through a list of words.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. transcription

I love the functionality of reading along with a video. It is great for getting pronunciation and clarity of what is being said. However, I would love to see this taken to a new level of functionality.

My suggestion comes from a program I have used called Rhubarb or WebRhubarb (https://www.cict.co.uk/textoys/rhubarb.php). Here's the gist:

Assuming there is a text that is synced with a video, I would like the option of turning the text into a transcription activity. In other words, the program would render the words as blanks (letters as underscores or * for example). Then as…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Paragraph Translation feature

Paragraph Translation Needed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry, but I pay Google per character for their Translate service so translating whole paragraphs would be too expensive.

Readlang is designed for intermediate & advanced learners who just need the occasional word or phrase translated.

12. Focus on verbs

Verbs are critical. Yet they are often very difficult to master, particularly abstract verbs. Verb conjugations are especially difficult, especially in irregular verbs. Quite a few Readlang suggestions and requests have addressed verbs, such as separable verbs in German and Dutch. I think it would be very helpful to have a way to focus on verbs in the text itself, not necessarily in flash cards, etc. Perhaps it could be a toggle on/off option to highlight verbs and their auxiliary verbs and separable parts. An additional feature could be a right click on highlighted verbs to bring up a pop-up…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree this would be great. But implementing it for all the supported languages would be difficult.

I currently rely on Google Translate to do the hard work of translating and Readlang itself isn’t actually aware of which words are verbs, nouns, etc.

It’s unlikely I’ll be able to add this any time soon.

13. Feature Idea

I'd love to have a feature that allows you to see how many words you already know in the language you're learning... like something similar to what lingq does...

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Soundcloud

I love the YouTube linking. Ingenious tool. Very helpful. Can I say more? I'm just starting to use this in school as a teacher, so I'm thinking of a lot of potentials here, and I'm an avid language learner myself and have already started making materials for myself.

Here is my question. Is something similar to the YouTube linking possible with Soundcloud? As I make materials for my students, it is easier to just make an audio recording of a story, for example, than a video. I just record at my desk with Audacity (including minor audio edits), and then…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. drama suspense action

about people and places

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Parts of speech french

Words like claim can be noun or verb. Would help with flashcards to know which (v,n). Also, m or f (masculine, feminine)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Sort by reverse frequency

I like to sort my words by frequency or usefulness and eliminate those words that are least common before I spend the time working on the flash cards and beginning to practice them. Because I want to compare the frequency of these new words to the total set of words that I have flash cards for, I have to use a list that contains all of my words. I takes a large number of clicks to reach the end of the list. It is easy to get to the beginning of the list, as all I have to do is…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Condensed Library files containing only lines with Word List words

When you open a Library file, words from the Word List are underlined in green. I like that. It would be helpful to be able to save an additional condensed version of that file, containing only lines that have underlined words. That would then let the user review just the text of an article containing words in the Word Lists. I delete words from the Word List that I now know, so the condensed version would show just the sentences with words I need to learn. I am doing that off-line with Word List exports, but I think it would…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Word List Search fails on extra "blank space"

If you copy and paste a word into Search in Word List, it can often come with an extra blank space. If you hit Enter before removing that blank space, the search fails. Perhaps the search word can be trimmed before the search. Very minor issue.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?