Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

473 results found

1. Make an option to change the daily goal

I would like to change the daily goal. I would like to study more daily and increase the daily goal to stay motivated and do more

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. distinguish highlights with added contexts

The highlighting should distinguish by color between words added and context added to their respective flashcards.

Better explanation is here:
    https://blog.readlang.com/2023/06/09/delete-on-untranslate.html#comment-6387838909

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Fix highlighting when it includes markdown/italicized text

At the moment, highlighting a phrase for translation fails when it includes both regular text and formatted text. If a sentence says, e.g., "I can't believe it was her idea" (raw text: I can't believe it was *her idea*), trying to select the whole phrase won't work.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Place a Next Page link on top of the page

Sometimes we don't need to scroll down to the bottom page if we just want to click to the next page. Its faster and easier to jump from page to page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but how do you know you want to navigate to the next page to find what you're looking for if you haven't scrolled down to see all the results on the first page? How do you know that what you're looking for is at the bottom of the first page?

Is it that you've visited the page recently and therefore are pretty confident about where to locate the text you're looking for?

Could there be a different solution that would make the result you are looking for appear on the first page of results? e.g. a filter to hide completed texts maybe?

5. Study flashcards by order of usefulness/frequency

On the flashcards tab, I would love a mode to study flashcards from all texts but ordered by frequency/importance. I have too many words saved to realistically study them all via flashcards, so I'd like to prioritize them by frequency/importance.

There's sort of a way to do this by going to the Word List tab, sorting by frequency/importance, and then selecting all, and then selecting Study Flashcards from there. But it only will do the top 25. It would be great to be able to use the spaced repetition algorithm from the main Flashcards tab to be able to work…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is exactly how the flashcards work by default. It's meant to surface the words with the highest frequency first. That said, the spaced repetition algorithm will also ensure that words you've practiced will not reappear in the flashcards for a certain time after you've last practiced them, which is designed to be effective for learning many words over the long term (but may not be ideal if you are trying to cram-study the top X most frequent words in a short amount of time)

6. The synching of words from videos doesn't work anymore. Something weird happened from interface programmer's end.

I dedicated. lot of time synching the words with the video I managed to find, including the proper text subtitles and now it seems all the synch is off phase. This is a new issue and I 'm using read langue specifically for this synch text-video option. Now I'm in stand by. Can this be solved?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry about this. Nothing has changed on Readlang's end related to this, but maybe something changed on YouTube's end? I just tried in Chrome for macOS and it seems to work for me.

Please can you let me know which device and browser (with version number if possible) you are using. Also any other information which might help to investigate it.

7. Payment method: iDEAL

Can you add iDEAL as a payment method to your options? You only have the option to pay by credit card and link. The link does not give the option to pay with iDEAL. iDEAL is a very common and reliable payment portal in the Netherlands, we always use it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Make your own flash cards

I would really love the ability to turn off auto generated flashcards and tell readlang when I want a flashcard made. Because it auto generates them, I find that it creates way too many flashcards and it's impossible for me to review them all. This means I have to go through and delete many of the auto generated flashcards, which is tedious and ineffective.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Making the link between "words" (flashcards) to "sentences built by me" and linking to the "duome.eu" sentence discussion forums ....

like the title said:
    with a flashcard on the screen, with the word that I just learned, I am ready to try out making new, my own, sentences using that word.

so I'd write a sentence of my own, system would check for "semantic" meaning, would propose a better way to say it in the target language.

Next I'd be prompted to change any of the words used, like changing a noun (other gender), use another pronoun, changing singular/plurals, changing verb, changing verb tense, change sentence style (affirmative, negation, question) and see the effect of this on the sentence i…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Expand speaking mode to include Icelandic

The only thing holding me back from getting a premium subscription is that my target language is not included in speaking mode. I am looking to make the jump from lingq to readlang and the only thing holding me back is the inability to hear my target language being spoken when I highlight a word or practice a flashcard. I know Icelandic is very niche and not many people speak it, so I understand why it is not included, but if you were able to add it you would definitely have a new paying customer. Thank you for everything you…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Audiobooks or audio narration

Can you make them as audiobooks or audio narration? That would help me a lot! I also see another suggestion of being able to highlight words that we don't know. I love that idea as well. Thanks A LOT!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Experience the best treasure trove of audiobooks

I am looking for a reliable site to add to my audiobook collection without spending a lot of money. After I found out about https://horbuchkostenlos.de/besten-horbucher/, I was delighted.

The site offers a wide variety of high-quality audiobooks of various genres. The best part is that many of these are completely free! Very fast download speed and user friendly user interface. I can easily find my favorite authors and genres.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Searching for French texts and getting Spanish?

I'm currently looking for French fiction, difficulty B2 to C2, and the top result is in En el aeropuerto. Beneath is a french article followed by En la Escuela. Is this only on my end or is there an issue with the search algorithm?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Should be possible to use the chrome estension in all the page of Facebook

I use facebook to reed articols in Greek. But from a certein point of the page on the estension doesn't work anymore

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I'd like to have the possibility to increase the value of the daily target.

The defoult value is insignificant for me, because I read a lot.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion!

It makes a lot of sense. That said, for now, for simplicity, I want to keep the daily streak standard and something small but meaningful. But longer term I absolutely would like a way to incentivise people who want to study more intensely. Whether that is via an increased daily streak target or something else.

So I do plan to revisit this at some point! (I don't like to make concrete promises though given that I have a long todo list already)

16. Changing the voice of the main reader and the Word translaters. Also the flash cards should be audible too.

Basically to have more realistic accents. I am learning Mexican spanish and I am finding differences in both sentence constructions and phonemic sounds between Readlang and native speakers.

I should say also, Readlang is the best thing since sliced bread for language learning. It's like the best of Anki without the aggravation.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Set flashcard mode as Passive for chosen texts

At present flashcard mode (Active or Passive or Active & Passive) is set globally. I’d like to set vocab for some texts - books for ‘extensive’ reading - as passive only. Is this something that would be possible?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When you select a word in Russia or any other language you should be able to see the original form of the word.

And also you should be able to listen to the pronunciation and there should be a button to copy the word which is selected.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. and I am again asking for Kazakh language

PleASE, ADD KAZAKH I AM BEGGING YOU.
    Its really popular language right now, its have google translate support, a lot of copyright free books. I can give you a word, that in first days of adding Kazakh to Readlang, it will have richest library in whole site, thanks to me.
    and if you add it I am going to donate 10 dollars. Thats all pocket money that I got right now, and I am giving a word of honor, thats I am going to donate them all to Readlang when Kazakh is added

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Remove multiple entries when you de-select words

When I click something like a sentence like: I like goats very much.I'll highlight:
    I like goats - then I might de-select it and then highlight
    I like goats very - then I might de-select it and then highlight
    I like goats very much

And then when i check my word list I have 3 entries that are almost identical. So my point is when I de-highlight/deselect you shouldnt save all those variations of entries?

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General