Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. would it be possible to allow editing of the word? (e.g. to add gender)

First - excellent idea and execution. Just found readlang this afternoon!

The question is - if it's not too much work, could you enable editing of the foreign language word by users - for me, mainly for adding gender information in some way.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

It is possible to edit the word, translation and context sentence by clicking the little pencil icon in the corner of the flashcards, or by clicking on one of the words on the “Words” page.

The way I use it is to leave the original word and context alone, but I alter the translation and perhaps add clarification there. e.g. in the translation I may change “it” to “it (female)”. Another thing you can do is add an alternative original word, but if you do this, please make sure it is exactly appropriate for the context sentence.

Does this help with your query?
    Steve

2. learn English text like a song

you put any text . when someone want to read the text can listen what is writen in this text too , for good prononsiation.thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. web reader add words to list

I'm not sure if I'm getting it right, but I've installed the chrome ios readlang web reader -- it translates fine, but the words I've clicked on don't seem to be added to my word list. Is that function not available or am I doing something wrong?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This certainly should work, I’ve just tested it and for me it works fine.

Are you sure you’re logged into Readlang on iOS Chrome? You can log by either:

1. Going to http://readlang.com and logging in to your account.
    2. Using the web reader, try to translate a phrase, it will only allow you to do this if you’re logged in, otherwise it will prompt you to log in.

4. Enable linking back to the original source text for edited words in the word list

Hi Steve

First of all, I just wanted to sincerely thank you for Readlang - it's the end of my first week of proper use and it has already been hugely transformational for me in my language learning.

One thing I have struggled with, though, is keeping my words sorted - when I save a new word to my list, I then like to edit it to be in the infinitive form if it's a verb or the masculine form if it's an adjective - this really helps me when studying the new words. The problem is that that then…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, I’ll investigate why the link appears to be broken after editing.

But really editing the words like this will make Readlang’s flashcards not function correctly, so I’d recommend to. After you’ve successfully remembered what the word is in English, the next time you see the flashcard it will ask you what it is in your target language, and will blank out the word from the example sentence. Except that if you’ve altered the word, it will not be blanked out, so you’ll see the conjugated form of the verb for example.

I actually LIKE the fact that it lets me learn conjugated forms of verbs in context. It lets me practise both vocabulary and grammar (the conjugation) at the same time.

Does this make sense?

What about putting the infinitive in the “alternatives” field of the flashcard instead, do you think that would work for you?

5. Work with Transparent Language (BYKI)

it would be nice if i could import my vocab from readlang into Byki, since they have a more robust flash card software

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Did you know it’s possible to export words from Readlang and to customise the format? I mention it on this post: http://blog.readlang.com/2014/04/23/tips-to-take-charge-of-your-vocabulary-learning.html

I haven’t investigated BYKI yet so I’m not sure what kind of import options they have.

Also, just curious what they offer in their flashcards that’s missing in Readlang? Or have you had any bad experience with Readlang’s flashcards that makes you consider it not robust?

6. group for learning

we make a groupe in facebook for learning English together as a frinds in one groupe

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Print out vocab lists

It would be very beneficial if I we could print out the vocab list in a document. For example, have 2 columns on a page. the left side the foreign language and on the right side the native language.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree, a simple option to print out a list would be a good feature to add in future.

In the meantime. Did you know there is a flexible export option on the words page?

1. Go to http://readlang.com/words
    2. Select the words you wish to export (to select all words click the checkbox to the left of the “Actions” button, then if there are more than 25 words, click “Select all ??? words”.
    3. Click Actions → Export
    4. Choose which fields to export. For a simple word list, use only “Original” and “Translation”. To include the contexts, leave it as the default.
    5. Click “Export File”

This will save a file to your computer which you can open in another program to view and print. A spreadsheet such as Excel or Google Drive Spreadsheet would work well.

8. iOS app

Hi Steve,
    it is a very usefull website but it will be very profitable for you to create a native iOS app, maybe you should think about it.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. offer an export field that uses Anki's cloze syntax but with first letter showing (for hint)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this AWESOME product! I LOVE it!

If it is not too much trouble, I was hoping you might add export fields that use Anki's cloze syntax but with the first letter showing for a hint. Specifically, this is what I have in mind:

Context (Anki cloze w/ first-letter hint):
    o{{c1::riginal word}}

Context (Anki cloze w/ first-letter hint and translation):
    o{{c1::riginal word::translation}}

This is something recommended in the Anki manual, and I think it could be a big help for not just me but others.

At any rate, thanks again, Steve, for this fantastic product!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. "14 / 15 words left" never changes

Studying flashcards for the first time, I chose 15, but the counter doesn't get updated when I go through a word.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the massive delay, going through old suggestions and this one obviously fell through the cracks.

This sounds like a bug, if it’s still happening please let me know!

11. Just a comment

hi, i have just found your app.I am very impressed with it.Better than lingua.ly and alot of other language websites i have come across.
    Congratulations and well done.its late so I will come back tomorrow to check it out further............

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Shared words data: context, translation, pictures, definition aka shared vocab

Hello Steve, good job, your app is really close to what I was "dreaming" to build, but whoa-la you did it almost the same way.

I believe in learning=experiencing, not dull drilling. That is why word context and pictures are fare more important than drilling "flashcards" ( memorizing word and its translation ).

You have nice tool for skimming through word context (i use it rather then flashcard typing mode). Typing mode is nice finale, once I "know and feel" the word.

I usually add one or more context ideally with good picture and definition (I am advanced learner thus…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently all your words are private but I’ve been planning to open things up so that by default everyone shares their words and phrases publicly, and probably to restrict the option of private words to paying users only. This would open the doors for the kind of collaborative features you suggest.

Watch this space!

13. Iphone app

This is a wonderful cloud app, do you have the idea to develop an IOS app in the future?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m certainly considering it, but can’t make any promises at the moment since it’s such a large job. Did you realise that you can install Readlang to your home-screen that makes it run full screen like an iOS app: https://readlang.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/342855-is-there-a-readlang-ios-ipad-or-iphone-app

What would be the most important aspect of an iOS app for you? Better UI? Offline use? Something else?

Very glad that you like the app! :-)

14. problem

Hi,
    I have a desktop computer with a chrome browser and installed your web browser with no problems.However I have also an Acer chromebook which of course uses the same browser but also googles chrome operating system.I tried to install your app from their web store but i keep getting an error message "could not create download directory".If i then go direct to your website and login,ok,then of course when i try to read something i get your web page indicating that i must install the the "R" ,click on the button ,but nothing happens.A pity really because I am…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid I don’t have a Chromebook to test Readlang on so can’t investigate this problem.

I was under the impression that Chrome extensions should work the same on Chromebooks as on Desktop Chrome but perhaps not.

Does it still not work for you?

15. Display additional information about words (gender, irregular verbs...)

It would be nice if the flashcard would display additionnal information about words.
    I would be extremely helpful to display the word gender (and plural form) for languages that have declension, such as german or russian.

Also, information about verbs could be useful, such as irregular vers, and such.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Exporting with no translations in Anki

I follow "No Translations" philosophy, but when i import my words in Anki are imported translations too: is it no possible to delete them?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Fabio,

It is possible to customise your export format by dragging around the boxes on the export dialog. Simply drag the default “Context (with translation)” into “Don’t import these” and add “Context (with blank)” instead.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Thanks,
    Steve

17. Chrome extension doesnt show whether I am logged in, nor sign-in.

I was wandering why "translated" words doesn't appear in my words database.

I had Chrome crash and it logged me out. However there is no way I can see it. Readlang extension worked in guest mode. I figured a way to logg-in with using voting buttons, but it took me some time to figure it out.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/91lqcvhuj4zy4nt/readlang_chrome.png

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Bug report

I would just like to report what seems to be a bug in chrome where the green bar animates down the page covering the content. Multiword selection doesn't seem to work either. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks.

When the green bar animates down and darkens, there should be a message which appears over it. There was a bug yesterday causing the message not to appear. It should be fixed now so please try refreshing the page and reloading the Readlang Web Reader and trying again.

I’m guessing you’ve hit the 20 phrases / day limit for free accounts, if it’s your first time hitting the limit there’ll be an option to claim 20 more for free.

Please let me know if you encounter any more problems.

19. language selection bug?

I have set my known/learning languages several times, but when I log in the next time they have been reversed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are two ways i can think this might be happening:

1. Every time you open a document in a certain language your current learning language will switch to that one.

2. Perhaps you’ve bookmarked one of the library pages for a specific language.

e.g. if you bookmark http://readlang.com/es/library every time you go to that page it will switch your learning language to Spanish since the URL includes “es”

Could this explain things?

20. Make web reader bar multi line on small screens

I have been loving the Web Reader bookmarklet in Firefox for Android. There is one glitch, though: the reader bar seems to extend off of the mobile screen. Could this be fixed with a multi line bar?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?