General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

IMPORTANT: Readlang has been in maintenance mode since 2016 and will continue this way for the foreseeable future. We will continue to ensure the site works as it has been, but no new languages or features will be added.
  1. English to English translation

Has it been implemented? i basically just want to learn new words, or keep phrases that I read. I would like to write one day, and that would be a great way to store useful words and phrases.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Sometimes I do not get a translation but the very same word. Even so you know the translation. Looks strange to me

I often get the same word as a translation as the English word, for example "kerfuffle".
    But If I look up your word list and scroll down, I can find the correct translation. So I think, there must be an error somewhere.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. add British pronounciation to the flashcards and word lists

good afteenoon,
    I am learning English with your tool. Very great. Unfortunately in the flashcards mode the pronounciation is American by default and i cannot change it to British. Also the sounds on the word list are American. the only way to hear the british pronounciation is to click on every single word in the word list and click on the speaker in the WordReference window, which is time consuming in the long term.

is there any chance it could be looked at please?

I really want to keep using your tool but I right pronounciation is key.

thank you…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Have audio for text

It will be useful to have audio playover option for certain texts in which audio is available. It can help with retention of new words.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. add a group field for the flashcards

When I want to study the flashcards, they are grouped according to the website or article from which I added the words. It would be great if I could create my own groups, so that I could choose the flashcards I wanted to study, for example if I am reading an article or book that is not online. As it stands, I have only the choices mentioned or all of the words I have added.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Running readlang on Microsoft Edge browser

I seem to have trouble running readlang on Edge, where the translations appear over words. Is there a way to run it?

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. jump to page # or percentage of text

I'm reading a long novel in ReadLang. I lost my place (50% in) by accidentally jumping ahead to 84%. It seems there is no way to go back or forwards other than one page at a time. The app needs a "jump to..." feature or slider like other eBook readers.

Also, ReadLang now thinks I have read 84% of this book which I can't change.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. to add the possibility to import movie subtitles, e.g. in the srt format.

Since subtitles to movies are available online for various languages it would be good to consider them seriously here as a useful source. It is indeed possible even now to import text subtitles, however, it would be nice to see only the text on the screen and not the time marks. It would be also useful to have the possibility to import subtitle for two languages (one you know and one you learn), and see the two at the same screen, one by one.

And, a native Android application would be nice...

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Highlight unknown words

It would be great to have the ability to highlight unknown words, as is done in LingQ. There is something very satisfying about seeing the amount of unknown words get smaller and smaller as I learn a language.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enable saving the text with the translated words still visible, as a document for offline review.

I would like to be able to save the text with the translated words still visible as a document, so that I can reread and review it offline, or print it out. I've been saving the onscreen text as screenshots so far, but a document format would be more convenient.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. problems with sign in

I love your site and want to purchase but there is a problem with your sign in. I created an account to log in by email. When I go to sign on again is reads sign on through google and will not accept my password. I try to re-register but the system tells me someone is already using that email and pass word. I was going to pay today but not now until the sign in problem can be corrected.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. to modify the spaced repetition algorithm

I feel that the algorithm is too optimistic compared to my learning capacities. There's a flash card i reviewed recently : Got it wrong the first try because i didn't remember very well, than got it right the second try... Now the next review will be in 50 days !!! Almost two months !!! So my suggestion for the algorithm simply is to "punish" harder when you're wrong. Cut the next review delay in half for example when you failed putting the correct answer once. That's a nice tool anyway. Good job !

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please add the option to work with verbs with separable prefixes. Readlang is now only half way useful for German. THX

Please add the option to work with verbs with separable prefixes. Readlang is now only half way useful for German. THX

88 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Audio sync rather than only YouTube video

My idea is basically to do an Assimil styled approach but be able to incorporate your flashcards (or Anki) with it in this way: 1) listen to the recording, 2) transcribe and sync, 3) review with flashcards and, of course, be able to click on a word to hear it individually (which I think you have as a premium already).

So, if I could upload audio I could then use podcasts and other sources besides YT. I'd like to be able to import audio files (Mp3 would be the first choice) and sync them up just as your YT function…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow import words from csv format

For those of us who come from LWT or other similar systems, it would be good to be able to import our word list into readlang, including the sample sentences.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add ability to customize TTS (text to speech) voice

Add different voice options for the audio pronunciation

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Auto-highlight saved words in the Web Reader

Implement auto-highlighting (http://blog.readlang.com/2015/03/17/auto-highlight-words.html) in the Web Reader to use when reading any web page.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ability to change the default CEFR designation

Sometimes the CEFR designation seems off, probably because the text is short. I think it should be modifiable or allow the user to add another field with a subjective level.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add practice mode which turns a whole text into a big cloze test

This could be a more interesting alternative to using the flashcard page, allowing you to go back to quickly review all words in a text after reading it. It may even prove useful as a pre-reading exercise on new texts to warm up before reading them thoroughly.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. allow students to click the new word to hear the pronunciation

using the chrome extension, I can have students click on the word and see it in their language...but they need to know how to pronounce it in English in the page rather than having to go into readlang's page and hearing it and then go back

BTW, amazing, awesome app!

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories