Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. language selection bug?

I have set my known/learning languages several times, but when I log in the next time they have been reversed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are two ways i can think this might be happening:

1. Every time you open a document in a certain language your current learning language will switch to that one.

2. Perhaps you’ve bookmarked one of the library pages for a specific language.

e.g. if you bookmark http://readlang.com/es/library every time you go to that page it will switch your learning language to Spanish since the URL includes “es”

Could this explain things?

2. Make web reader bar multi line on small screens

I have been loving the Web Reader bookmarklet in Firefox for Android. There is one glitch, though: the reader bar seems to extend off of the mobile screen. Could this be fixed with a multi line bar?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Show the difficulty when invoking the Readlang bookmarklet

When using the Readlang bookmarklet or chrome extension, it would be nice if the toolbar showed the difficulty or CEFR level of the current page.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. possibility to add descriptions of the texts or videos in the public library,

if possible in several languages ( not everybody speaks English well enough) that way people will know what the video or text is about at a glance.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Offer infinitive form

It would be nice to add the infinitive form of a word as a flashcard if the word in question is verb. I think a lot of learners prefer to remember the infinitive ( + grammar) over learning all verb in random conjugations.

Really nice tool though, found it through HN.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Could be a nice option. Then again, I actually like the way it works at the moment since it makes me practice at verb conjugation at the same time.

Note that editing your flashcards is highly encouraged, and you could potentially add the infinitive as an alternative translation manually if you prefer, although I would argue it’s better to practice the actual conjugations.

6. 3 22 2014

Good evening Steve,

I am not sure where you are in the world.

Your app would fit in nicely at demo-pitch events. They are fun, and an individual gets funding. The people are from all over the the Bay area.

Also, a comment company called disqus has an easier comment posting service.

You are not alone, humans desire to be understood. We are still social-beings.

I was able to find your post at the y-combinator site. To me, it is an informative site that has great posts concerning coding.

A suggestion I follow that is helpful: have positive thoughts, and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Display pronunciation as well as translation for Japanese

With Japanese (and other Asian languages) the pronunciation is usually not apparent from the source text. To learn/memorize effectively the reader needs to know the pronunciation along with the translation. Pronunciations are always displayed in the Japanese script called Hiragana. A good source for this for Japanese is the online dictionary at Monash University (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C). They have an API that is described here: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdicinf.html#backdoor_tag

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Consider integrating freq lists from Bangla-Tangla

FYI, a Bangla / বাংলা frequency list (seems to reflect both stems and real-life text) is on the site http://www.banglatangla.com/. Seemed worth at least letting you know--I'm just now getting back into RL again. :-)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow adding a second (ideally also third) sidebar dictionary

Use case: Any languages where it is helpful to pull additional information from a second or third resource, e.g. to look up root word of conjucated/declensed forms; or to see more example sentences.

When reading Czech texts in LWT, I use LWT's second dictionary for extra example sentences, and I kidnapped the third one for a resource that provides grammatical information (http://prirucka.ujc.cas.cz/, for case, number etc.) This is very convenient because I get a better idea of how else a word could be used and review grammar at the same time.

One could use this similarly for Spanish,…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. At least make public library search-engine indexable!

It shouldn't be too difficult to make the public library crawlable. Lots more exposure + one can just use a "site:readlang.com" google query to look through the public library!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Extra field for answer side of flashcards

Hi,

Is it possible to add a misc field in flashcards to allow extra information to be shown on the answer side of flashcard?

For Japanese I like to have the romanisation or hiragana displayed in the answer field. I don´t want this displayed when typing in the answer (it gives it away) so I can not put it in the translation field. I imagine it would be useful for other langauges to add a note or mnemonic.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There’s an “Alternatives” field that you could add this kind of information to.

It is designed to accept alternative synonyms of the word when you type an answer, but apart from that it behaves exactly as you are suggesting – it appears when you reveal the word in your target language.

I suppose it would be nice to make a distinction between “alternative answer” and “notes”, but at the same time I don’t want to clutter the editing interface too much. What do you think?

12. Undo button

Hello Steve,

It would be nice when reviewing cards to have an "undo" button for the my last scored card. I sometimes tap the wrong key, and it would help the spaced repetition algorithm to get more accurate information if I could go back and change my scoring.

Compounding my problem is that I use SuperMemo and Anki, and they each have slightly different scoring scales, which means that I'm probably a little more prone to error when switching between them.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Youtube phrase listening option

The texts with youtube from my opinion have quite different goal from plain texts. They are mostly for long term work such as listening many times a phrase or a part of a text. In this case it would be great to save in a saparete word list the words(phrases to listen) and when clicking them it will be sincronized with the text and sound.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Team up with duolingo! (or do a similar approach)

This is probably one of the best language learning sites I've ran into. I couldn't find a single thing to complain about, and then I noticed something. Some features cost money, and I get it. You guys need money to maintain this site, but charging money from it's users would only hinder it.

I'm sure you've guys have heard of duolingo. It one of the most well known language learning tools out there. Why? Because it's free!! Users on duolingo provide a service by translating the internet while learning a language for free. Everybody wins! I was thinking either you…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. What if I want to practice the same words again?

I've done my first 19 words, and now they're listed in the magic machine area. But, what if I want to practice them again? I go to Learn, and it doesn't offer me a flashcard quiz.

I should be able to review flashcards whenever I want to.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

These words are now scheduled for the future (for tomorrow if this is your first time testing yourself). This is done according to a spaced repetition system designed to optimise your learning. Basically, it would probably be more beneficial to learn some new words now and come back to those words tomorrow.

I can understand the desire to re-test yourself on words earlier than scheduled though and will consider adding this feature, thanks.

(Note that it’s best to translate a lot more than 19 words, even if you don’t have time to test yourself on all of them. The reason is that Readlang prioritises based on the word frequency so it will try to show the most useful words first. If you have lots of words then you will never run out of words to practise on.)

16. Suggestion--hide context tip by default

Just a quick suggestion -- when using flashcards, the context sentence is given at the top of the cards. This often makes it too easy, and is an irresistible temptation. It would be best if it was hidden, and the user had to click the field to reveal it.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Note that after you guess a flashcard’s meaning, all subsequent times the flashcard is shown will include the word you are trying to guess blanked out. So now you need to guess the word in your target language which is a bit more difficult.

The context is often necessary since it may affect the exact form of the word you are try to guess. e.g. in Spanish you may need the context to know whether an adjective applies to a male or female noun, and there are plenty of other examples.

The context can also affect the meaning of a word, e.g. in English “poker” can be a card game or a stick, and the context helps clarify this.

I do understand your complaint, but for the above reasons, I think that a context should always be visible.

17. Video window on top

I think that having the youtube window below the text is useful only when listening to audiobooks with no relevance on video images.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes, originally the idea was to add an audio player, but YouTube proved simpler to implement. I agree for watching videos the layout is far from ideal. Perhaps in future I’ll experiment with a different layout more suited to video.

18. just letting you know that I like Readlang

Hi Steve,

I don't have any urgent suggestions at the moment. I just wanted to express my support for your site. I think it's great work that you've done, and I hope you continue to develop it. Respect.

If I did have a suggestion, it would be that I quite enjoy the feature of different word colors in LWT. If you were able to add that type of feature, and any other features that make LWT desirable as recommended by others, then you would totally destroy LWT. I feel like your site has greater potential due to its superior interface…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. allow the user to select a block of text for to save for study

the user is able to select a large block of untranslated text to be sent to readlang learning mode.

Essentially, if there's a section that's difficult and the user wants to study it in context, they'll be able to select whatever quantity of text they like and sent it off to be studied without translating.

I like this idea for moving readlang beyond translation. Breaking down texts and studying difficult passages with a little more context than is already provided for in the system

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. add some more trainings to learn section

Not only guessing word, but many different trainings such as word-translate, translate-word, audio-writing, crossword. Watch on this site http://lingualeo.ru/ It's russian but you can switch it to English. It really helps you to memorise new words, believe me.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m working on an API to allow anyone to create training games. There’s an early alpha version here in case any developers want to try it out:

https://github.com/SteveRidout/readlang-api

Here’s a basic game to demonstrate it:

http://steveridout.github.io/readlang-api/

I don’t plan to create games myself any time soon, since I want to concentrate on the other core features of Readlang, but I hope that other developers may be tempted to try.

UPDATE

There is now a typing mode for Readlang’s flashcards that you can enable from the preferences page, see this blog post for details:

http://blog.readlang.com/2013/11/11/typing-mode.html

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base