Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

7 results found

1. allow students to click the new word to hear the pronunciation

using the chrome extension, I can have students click on the word and see it in their language...but they need to know how to pronounce it in English in the page rather than having to go into readlang's page and hearing it and then go back

BTW, amazing, awesome app!

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Sinc Mp3 files from google docs or box

Would be really nice to sinc mp3 files from google docs/play or box, the idea is listening while reading...

Almost the same as Youtube videos.

Thanks

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add button to report errors in texts

Hello Readlang,
    I think this is a wonderful website. While browsing the pages, however, I came across one small mistake in the lyrics of "Let it snow": "The lights are turned was down low" should be "The lights are turned way down low".

I think it might be useful if you have this kind of reporting window available at every page because other pages may have something that needs to be corrected as many of its contents seem to be contributed voluntarily.

But this is definitely a good system. Thanks anyway!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Good idea, I want to implement something like this.

For now I’ve fixed that line from “Let it Snow!” manually. There’s a new problem with the line spacing that you’ll notice though, all the lines have a large spacing so the separation between verses is no longer visible, I’ll work on fixing this tomorrow.

EDIT – Change title of idea to “Add button to report errors in texts”

EDIT 2 – “Let It Snow!” is formatted property into verses again.

4. TED Talks in Translation

I would like to be able to 'add a text' of an target language TED talk transcript and link the english video (much like youtube feature but with video from TED domain)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid it would be too much work to support other online video players at the moment, but hopefully the videos you are looking for will appear on YouTube.

Are there many TED videos which aren’t available on YouTube?

5. Have a suspend option in word list

Sometimes you have a relapse in studying and want to start out new again on some fresh texts but not have the old words come back at you in the flash cards until a later date.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m thinking about changing the scheduling system slightly to prioritise newer words over older ones for this reason.

I’ve noticed this myself and also in this Readlang review Ron says that he periodically deletes all his cards to avoid the same problem: http://www.languagesurfer.com/2015/01/14/readlang-review-six-ways-to-get-the-most-out-of-this-awesome-tool/ – when I read this I knew that something needed to be fixed. Thanks for reminding me about this!

One thing you could try in the meantime is:

1. Read a text on readlang.com (as opposed to the Web Reader) and translate a lot of words.
    2. On the flashcard page, there’s a “Study from…” selector – use this to only study words from the recently read text.

6. modify it so teachers can use it.

This seems to be a marvelous site. I would love to use it for my class and it would be great to be able to share a text with the students.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can create texts and make them public using the “Share” button from the Library. This means that anyone will be able to see them, not only your students. Would this be suitable for you?

I’d love to make the site more usable for teachers. Please let me know what features you would need to use the site as a teacher.

Also, once the site is out of beta I plan to offer paid subscription options to make the site sustainable, do you think teachers would be willing to pay a small fee for features to manage a group of students?

Thanks,
    Steve

7. Consider integrating freq lists from Bangla-Tangla

FYI, a Bangla / বাংলা frequency list (seems to reflect both stems and real-life text) is on the site http://www.banglatangla.com/. Seemed worth at least letting you know--I'm just now getting back into RL again. :-)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General