Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

111 results found

1. Not translating words

The program doesn't seem to be translating words as well as it used to. Using Portuguese, it translates some words some of the time and others none of the time. Highlighting single words rarely translates the word, while highlighting a phrase or sentence will usually translate some of the words but leave others in Portuguese.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. When recording words and translations, give more context

When I am reading and I click on a word or group of words, give me some more context for where the words came from. In a given sentence, I may only need to translate a couple of words, but I need the whole sentence to understand the usage, especially in a language with lots of declensions.

The alternative is that I just click on every word in a sentence if there is any word that I don't know. That would basically mean, "click on every word."

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Capitalization

When I pull items from an article, they go from capitalized within the article to lower case in my flashcards. This isn't always an issues, namely with verbs (German), but when it comes to nouns (German) this does create issues. Ensure that capitalization is maintained when transferring from article to cards.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Everything translated from now on will keep it’s capitalization intact – both in the original word/phrase and the translation from Google Translate.

Later I may reassess and alter the behavior based on language, it seems this is more a problem for German than Spanish for example. For now, capitals are retained in all languages.

4. Let us rearrange the texts, group them in folders etc.

At this moment, the newest texts just go to the bottom of the list. I'd like to rearrange them (by title, date, custom) and also to group them in folders. Maybe even give us list view.

Also, I think it would be better if the "Add new articles in/translate within other webpages" element is always at the top of the "Bookshelf" so one wouldn't have to scroll down all the time.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve now changed the library to a list view which you can sort by:

- most recently read
    - most recently imported
    - amount of document read
    - title
    - URL / author

Also, there is an “Add Documents” button at the top now instead of at the bottom of the list.

I haven’t got immediate plans to allow tagging or folders, but it’s a possibility in future. If you are keen to get this feature, please open another more specific ticket.

5. Do what Anki does regarding card scheduling

Basically, the default settings for a deck in Anki are 20 new cards a day, and a cap of 100 review cards a day (of course, the user can modify these settings).

Also, the new cards are given before the cards scheduled for review.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve made the following changes:

- You can change the target amount of words per day from the dropdown menu at the top right of the screen. Click your user name, and then preferences. Be sure to click “Save” after changing the amount of words for it to take effect.

The system is designed so that you specify how much work you want to do per day, and Readlang will give you new cards when you have room in your schedule.

- New cards always come first in any session.

(If you want to skip the new cards for a particular session, for now you could temporarily lower your target words per day in the preferences before testing yourself)

- Scheduled words always arrive at 4am each morning (according to your current time zone). I think this will probably suit 99% of users so I there’s no option to change…

6. When reading, let me choose how words are grouped

When I'm reading and I click on a word that is next to a word I have already clicked on, it groups them together. This is good when I want that, but bad when I don't. Give me a way to decide which words to group together and which to separate.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. While reading, give me a way to see the original word(s) after I click to translate

When I'm reading, it is intuitive and easy to click a word to translate it. However, I would like to be able to switch this on and off without removing the word from the list.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. allow editing items while reading.

Currently, there is an edit button and you can edit the definition/original text, but this doesn't seem to do anything. If I click back on the item or go to learn words, they keep their original (often flawed) google translation.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Highlight the last read text

If you have many texts, scrolling and reading the titles in order to find the last text you were reading can become bothersome.

At the moment, I have many texts with similar titles (chapters of a book). I sometimes forget on which chapter I stopped.

It might not be high on the list of priorities, but if it's not too difficult, I'd be grateful if you implemented it. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add the language I want! :)

I think what you've done here is great, and I'd gladly abandon LWT if readlang supported the language I'm interested in (Serbian).

As I want to see you continue to expand on this and of course add my target language, please add a way for me to donate to your project.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks very much!

I’ve now added more languages, including Serbian.

Unfortunately the more in-depth embedded dictionary (wordreference.com) doesn’t support Serbian, so this feature will be missing for you.

As for donating, that’s very nice of you and I may look into this in future. The best way you could encourage me and help ensure it’s survival is to show it to friends and colleges who you think would use it.

I plan to charge a subscription to use the site once it’s out of beta which will hopefully provide enough to support ongoing development. All users signing up right now will be able to keep using it for free.

11. Let me take a test whenever I feel like

At the moment I have to wait until readlang has words ready for me to test. I should be able to review my words at any time.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

A button has been added to temporarily add more words to the daily schedule, if new ones exist in the waiting area that is.

I also plan to add the ability to alter the target number of cards per day. <- This is done now, look in the preferences panel, accessible by clicking on your username at the top right corner.

1 2 3 4 6 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base