Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

109 results found

1. Highlighting saved words

It would be nice to highlight the words that we've saved so that we know that we've come across them before. I don't really care if there is a known rating(like learning with texts or linq). Personally it helps me with recall when I use LWT and I think it would be nice in this program too!

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can enable this feature by opening the reader sidebar, opening the “AA” tab (Customize Appearance) and selecting one of:

- “Ready to Learn (recommended)” – highlights the words that you’ve translated but haven’t yet learned via the flashcards.
    - “All Your Words” – highlights all of your words

If you click a highlighted (actually underlined) word then it will open a pop up which you can use to edit or delete the word.

I’m closing this ticket now, although I’m still thinking of improving it by adding the ability to:

- Use similar highlighting in the Web Reader http://readlang.uservoice.com/forums/192149-general/suggestions/7253901-auto-highlight-saved-words-in-the-web-reader
    - Adding a practice mode which displays the translations in place of the original words, creating a cloze test that lets you practice on the whole text similar to how you would on the flashcard page. http://readlang.uservoice.com/forums/192149-general/suggestions/7253880-add-practice-mode-which-turns-a-whole-text-into-a

If you think these would be useful please vote for them. Actually, that…

2. Support dividing books into chapters

It'd be great to have a book stored as one file but divided into different chapters. I know it's been mentioned before but i just wanted to post it here, too. For example, if you're reading The Little Prince, clicking on it would expand into a list of the chapters. Clicking on the chapter would, of course, load that chapter.

It'd be nice to be able to load a .txt file and perhaps assign a special character/sequence of characters to define the start of a new chapter and its name. So you could mark chapters in the .txt file and…

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. introduce folders

Thanks for the features so far. Grouping the texts in folders would be great.

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Option to NOT translate.

I'd like to see integration with native monolingual dictionaries, especially since I am an advanced learner of Catalan and the only option at the moment is a Google translate for words that I don't recognize

For example: This is a good Catalan dictionary: http://dlc.iec.cat/

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Option NOT to save words, only translate.

Too much trash goes to magic word mashine, so they are saved only when they are starred(favorite).

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is now a new option allowing you to quickly delete words after translating by clicking the translation a second time. See here to learn how to enable this mode: https://blog.readlang.com/2023/06/09/delete-on-untranslate.html

(Note that if you extend an existing phrase to include extra words around it for added context, the shorter phrase will automatically be deleted so that only the larger phrase remains. Readlang has worked like this for many years.)

6. add pictures to words from Google pictures to words that saved

Simply give us an opportunity to paste pictures in flashcards from Google pictures.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Cards can now have images!

In the “Edit Card” panel, accessible from the reader page, Words page, and Learn page, there is an option to paste an image URL. All you have to do is right click an image on any other site, e.g. Google Image search, select “Copy image URL” or “Copy image location” and paste it into this box. Click the Save button to save this change before exiting.

This image will now appear above the flashcard in the Learn page.

I realise it would be nice to do an image search and automatically present some examples to choose from within Readlang, but this would require paying google or microsoft so I’m avoiding it for now.

Please give it a try and if you have any suggestions for improving this, either leave a comment below or add a new idea. Thanks!

7. Only 'final' version of highlighted words be saved to wordlist

While reading a section, I often highlight a word and then adjacent words to get the appropriate contextual meaning. Afterwards I have to go to wordlist and remove the inappropriate translations (often 50% of wordlist). Is it possible that only the 'final' highlighted words in a section be imported to wordlist?

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Text to Speach audio option along with the text

It would be very useful to be able to hear the text (not only single words), maybe using a TTS synthesiser like the one that now pronounces single words. It would be great to let Readlang speak a selected phrase or even the entire text, making it a sort of audiobook with both text and audio. It would improve a lot the learning experience for those who want to improve the pronunciation and speech recognition, along with the reading abilities.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I've just added a "Read Aloud" feature using synthetic voices. If your browser supports it, you'll see a play/pause button at the bottom of the reader page which, when clicked, will read the text out loud, highlighting the current word being spoken. This is only available if your browser supports locally generated text-to-speech on the device you are using.

This was only added last night, so if you have a Readlang tab already open, please refresh it to get access to the new feature. And if you notice any bugs, please let me know!

The feature is available to all Readlang users, and Premium users are additionally able to customize the voice in the "AA" sidebar tab.

Please let me know what you think!

9. offer an export field that uses Anki's cloze syntax

The Text field of Anki's built-in cloze note type uses a format quite similar to "Context (with original word)", but with {{c1:...}} instead of [[...]] around the original words.

Currently I fix my exported word lists manually in Notepad each time, but if it's a not too high effort, if would be great to get the correct format directly from Readlang.

More info: http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html#cloze-deletion

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve added 2 export fields using the Anki cloze format:

Context (Anki cloze):
    {{c1::original word}}

Context (Anki cloze with translation):
    {{c1::original word::translation}}

TIP: If you only export one field, be careful to ensure that Anki doesn’t use “:” as a field delimiter when importing.

Please let me know if this works well for you or not.

10. Add a way to search in public database

It will be very useful to search what is already added in public database ( videao already sync )

When you for example like a band of music, it could be interseted to search in public library with word and keyword in order to see if there are some songs shared by an other Readlang user.

I would be thankful to consider my suggestion. I am very interested by your website.
    I think that with some amelioration (they have many suggestion) it could be THE MUST !

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m a bit late closing this request, since public library search was added last year.

There’s now a search box at the top right of the Library → Public section.

Note it only searches the title and author fields, not the entire texts.

This should be useful for the languages with a decent number of shared texts such as Spanish, English, German and French.

11. Search the Public Bookshelf by difficulty level.

It would be nice if I could filter or at least sort the pubic bookshelf by difficulty level (i.e., the CEFR designations). I would get a lot out of being able to easily see what other people have found out there that is at my level.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Autoplay audio in flashcards when answering

If possible it would be nice to have an option to autoplay audio when answering flashcards. When answering flashcards generally I am testing that I know the meaning and pronounciation.

Thanks

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This feature is now working.

Premium users can enable “Speaking Mode” from the settings page: http://readlang.com/preferences

Once enabled, you will hear audio pronunciation every time:

- You translate a word or phrase
    - The side of the flashcard in your target language is displayed

This works for the following 17 languages: Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Please let me know what you think of this and how it works.

Some notes:
    1. It doesn’t work when using the Web Reader on iOS.
    2. When enabled, you’ll see an audio icon at the top of the reader page and during a flashcard session allowing you to toggle “speaking mode” – this won’t appear at all if it wasn’t enabled first from the settings page (http://readlang.com/preferences)
    3. On YouTube videos, audio pronunciation will only work when the video…

13. Allow disabling phrase translation

I've already payed for unlimited phrase translation, but sometimes I want words translated individually - it would be nice if I could only translate phrases when I select multiple words at once rather than translating phrases when I separately click two adjacent words

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. have a choice to translate one way

There is an check box you can click to turn of the "Spelling translation" feature. It would be nice if there were settings that we could adjust. For instance, to translate in only one way. .In some cases it would be quicker and more beneficial to be able to practice translation only from our target language to our control language.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow users to export only words added since last export

On the export words page, it would be good to be able to export only words that have been added since last export. This way if someone is building a list on cerego or memrise they don't double-add anything.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Video bookmarking

I'm learning french and looking for good videos in youtube with audio and captions in french. With the readlang's chrome extension it becomes a great tool, because you can translate (and look up in the dictionary) the words in the transcript viewer, and if you click in the time indicator you may also navigate trough the video without having to disable the extension.
    I think that it would be a good feature if there was the option to add videos as bookmarks (instead of importing them), and having a separate tab in readlang for this bookmarked videos. In the future,…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve added the ability to vote on any webpage now, so you can upvote from any YouTube video page via the Web Reader, and it will appear with the rest of the shared texts in the Readlang public library. See here: http://blog.readlang.com/2013/11/06/readlang-has-been-redditized.html

Note that for the Readlang Web Reader to work, you need to load it after the YouTube transcription is visible.

I hope the mix of outgoing YouTube links and Readlang based YouTube transcritions won’t be confusing to users!

17. add text-grading functionality

As you mention in your blog, some texts can be too difficult. Sometimes we want to read an easy text fast, with only occasional translation, but it's difficult to determine the level of difficulty in a foreign language. One way is to run the text through a readability app. Then, if people want to share that text, they can have the option to select the readability score. This would save subsequent readers the effort of sifting through texts that are at a reasonable level (my current problem in Portuguese). If your app is also teacher-friendly, teachers would have the incentive…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve implemented a basic version of this now.

It’s enabled for most of the languages, and you will see it to the left of each book/article in the Library. The languages where it’s not enabled will have a warning status message at the bottom of the screen.

It uses a combination of the Automated Readability Index (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Readability_Index) and the percentage of words which are in the 2000 most frequently used in the language.

I don’t claim it’s perfect, far from it. But it seems to give reasonably sensible results in Spanish and English at least. I can’t judge the other languages. Please let me know how you find it, especially if you think it’s getting the grading wrong.

It’s very likely I’ll tweak this over the next few months so don’t be surprised if the grades start changing :).

18. Remove saved words when I declick the translation

I sometimes will click a word to see the exact translation and then click it again to turn it off. Sometimes i'll click around a phrase until i get exactly what i want to translate because maybe the first word or two words by themselves don't convey the entire meaning. But then I go to flashcards and I have many variants of that phrase saved or words i accidentally clicked saved. I can't use the flashcard feature without going through garbage and deleting hundreds of words for one article sometimes so I am no longer going to use readlang and…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. audio

An audio icon should be great to have in the reader section.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Automatic audio playback is now available for premium users, it doesn’t read the whole text however, just what you click on.

Once enabled, you will hear audio pronunciation every time:

- You translate a word or phrase
    - The side of the flashcard in your target language is displayed

It works for the following 17 languages: Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Please let me know what you think of this and how it works.

Some notes:
    1. It doesn’t work when using the Web Reader on iOS.
    2. When enabled, you’ll see an audio icon at the top of the reader page and during a flashcard session allowing you to toggle “speaking mode” – this won’t appear at all if it wasn’t enabled first from the settings page (http://readlang.com/preferences)
    3. On YouTube videos, audio pronunciation will…

20. Could you add an option for adding an image to flash card

The word with image with the meaning of that word is better to memorize.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?