Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

111 results found

1. Firefox Extension

Please think of us Firefox users, and also do a Firefox extension like the one for chrome. Yes there is already the bookmark, but I'd like Firefox to be treated as a first-class citizen. Thanks, and congrats to such an AWESOME product :)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Intsall the firefox extension with this link:

http://blog.readlang.com/content/readlangFirefoxExtension.xpi

To use either:
    - Right click on a page and select “Readlang Web Reader”
    - Add the toolbar button from the Options→Toolbar Layout… menu item

If you find problems, please let me know.

Thanks!

PS: The extension was removed from the Mozilla Add-on gallery because it fetches code from my server to avoid manual updates, which is not permitted. Still, it’s completely fine for you to use and works exactly like the bookmarklet.

2. add pictures to words from Google pictures to words that saved

Like on Memrise.com Simply doing our own mems with pictures.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s possible to add images to cards now, although I admit it’s not the best interface at the moment.

In the “Edit Card” panel, accessible from the reader page, Words page, and Learn page, there is an option to paste an image URL. All you have to do is right click an image on any other site, e.g. Google Image search, select “Copy image URL” or “Copy image location” and paste it into this box. Click the Save button to save this change before exiting.

This image will now appear above the flashcard in the Learn page.

I realise it would be nice to do an image search and automatically present some examples to choose from within Readlang, but this would require paying google or microsoft so I’m avoiding it for now.

3. The book should be opened at the page it was when we last closed it

It seems that a book is opened at the farthest page that has been seen, but it seems more natural to open it at the page it was when we last closed it.

Right now, I have a book read at 3% but I only actually read around 1% (I guess I just passed some pages to see what was coming and got around the 3% mark).

That makes it really annoying to start reading that book, as every time I open it I go directly to the 3% mark and I have to manually turn pages back until the…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. normalize Unicode in typed answers

Unicode's a great standard, but doesn't resolve all problems. Some diacritics have various representations, which messes up comparisons. E.g., the two strings below are different:
    অলৌকিক কাজ
    অলৌকিক কাজ

One starts "অ ল ে ৗ"; (ending in ৌ) the other starts "অ ল ৌ" (ending in ৌ), the latter being a "composed" form of the former.

The answer is apparently to use Unicode normalized forms, as documented (at least for a start) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_equivalence. Of course, http://rishida.net/tools/conversion/ is great for peering into Unicode streams.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add option to disable highlighting of current word spoken in youtube video

In Text section of settings, or in Youtube section, add a toggle switch to enable/disable highlighting of whe current word spoken (synced). For longer videos, especially when speaking is fast, it is tedious to sync it manually, so when one just wants to read the text and listen to audio word highlighting pops around fast (especially in video and text are not synced) which makes reading difficult. In that case, text won't auto-scroll of course, user will need to scroll as video goes (if needed, for example if watching on mobile device).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Expand Explain function to more languaged (and let me switch between languages)

The Explain function often provides much better translations than the initial translation you get. But it isn't available in many languages.

I'd love to be able to be able to use it with Swedish and Finnish and be able to switch between the languages used for explaining.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Capitalization

When I pull items from an article, they go from capitalized within the article to lower case in my flashcards. This isn't always an issues, namely with verbs (German), but when it comes to nouns (German) this does create issues. Ensure that capitalization is maintained when transferring from article to cards.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Everything translated from now on will keep it’s capitalization intact – both in the original word/phrase and the translation from Google Translate.

Later I may reassess and alter the behavior based on language, it seems this is more a problem for German than Spanish for example. For now, capitals are retained in all languages.

8. To use saved words more functional

Hello, First of all thank you for this amazing platform.
    My proposal will be about saved words.
    I read 3 texts per day at least. I noticed that sometimes I save same words in my words list in the text which I am reading. If there is a way to see the words in my saved word list on the text which is being read then this will be amazing.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Practice or export flashcards from specific books

What does it mean : practice or export flashcards from specific books.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Move the 'delete card' button

The 'delete card' button is very near the 'next card' button (Samsung tab). This results in some of my cards being accidentally deleted.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Fix bug where the context sentence doesn't include text from the previous page.

When using the reader in Readlang, if I click on a word in a sentence that spans two pages, the captured context sentence does not include words from the previous page. I end up having to delete these cards because an incomplete context sentence is not useful.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Support for Bulgarian?

Can you add support for Bulgarian?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Thank you

Thank you, Steve, for your great work. This is one of the most useful language-learning tools I've ever seen. Wish you all good luck.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Words lists to correspond with the text

The idea here is that when opening a text and then on to word list to see the words(phrases) from THE text that were starred before. And when working with the text, new words whould be added to the list, but when finishing working with the text only starred words will stay in the word list.
    Now it's different when opening a text in the word list I see the words from previous texts which were even not starred(again too much trash that is not useful).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Words listed in the reader sidebar now always correspond with the text being read.

Favourite (starred) words will appear at the top, followed by the rest ordered by word frequency, so the simplest first.

Words translated during the current session will appear at the top of the list.

If there are too many “trash” words, simply select them by clicking the checkbox, then click the “Delete” button which appears at the top of the list.

Hope you enjoy this improvement!

15. Please provide "Save" feature for General Settings

Whenever changes are made to the general settings, they are shortly reversed when i reload the website in a new tab...
    its quite frustrating

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. allow editing items while reading.

Currently, there is an edit button and you can edit the definition/original text, but this doesn't seem to do anything. If I click back on the item or go to learn words, they keep their original (often flawed) google translation.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Translate into same language with dictionary popup

Imagine kids can expand their native language vocabulary quickly by using your vocabulary service, that would be wonderful.

Another reason, my native language is Chinese. The huge disparity of Latin and Asian language root always sucks in cross translation, and often the multiple meaning and usage of same words is drastically different in both culture, we almost need to double check in English to English dictionary. English to Chinese translation only help us build up basic vocabulary only. People in same situation will also benefit in English to English translation.

Readlang is by far the best service I found, better…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Chinese?

Where are E Asian Languages?

ploucky@hotmail.com

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve just added basic Japanese and Chinese support.

It avoids the word-detecting problem by leaving it up to you to drag across all the characters in a word or phrase.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

19. Do what Anki does regarding card scheduling

Basically, the default settings for a deck in Anki are 20 new cards a day, and a cap of 100 review cards a day (of course, the user can modify these settings).

Also, the new cards are given before the cards scheduled for review.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve made the following changes:

- You can change the target amount of words per day from the dropdown menu at the top right of the screen. Click your user name, and then preferences. Be sure to click “Save” after changing the amount of words for it to take effect.

The system is designed so that you specify how much work you want to do per day, and Readlang will give you new cards when you have room in your schedule.

- New cards always come first in any session.

(If you want to skip the new cards for a particular session, for now you could temporarily lower your target words per day in the preferences before testing yourself)

- Scheduled words always arrive at 4am each morning (according to your current time zone). I think this will probably suit 99% of users so I there’s no option to change…

20. Let us rearrange the texts, group them in folders etc.

At this moment, the newest texts just go to the bottom of the list. I'd like to rearrange them (by title, date, custom) and also to group them in folders. Maybe even give us list view.

Also, I think it would be better if the "Add new articles in/translate within other webpages" element is always at the top of the "Bookshelf" so one wouldn't have to scroll down all the time.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve now changed the library to a list view which you can sort by:

- most recently read
    - most recently imported
    - amount of document read
    - title
    - URL / author

Also, there is an “Add Documents” button at the top now instead of at the bottom of the list.

I haven’t got immediate plans to allow tagging or folders, but it’s a possibility in future. If you are keen to get this feature, please open another more specific ticket.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base