Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

479 results found

1. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve just done this for you manually, but here’s how you could have done it:

Simply uncheck the “Send Daily ??? Reminders” checkbox on the preferences page: http://readlang.com/preferences

There is a link to this page at the bottom of each of the reminder emails.

I’ll probably work on putting a simple one click link to unsubscribe at the bottom of the emails in future.

2. TED Talks in Translation

I would like to be able to 'add a text' of an target language TED talk transcript and link the english video (much like youtube feature but with video from TED domain)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid it would be too much work to support other online video players at the moment, but hopefully the videos you are looking for will appear on YouTube.

Are there many TED videos which aren’t available on YouTube?

3. Develop the possibility to import audio other than text.

In my opinion there is only one thing to add in this wonderful tool to make it perfect for language learning, and that is the possibility to import also the audio associated to a text.
    For example, at the moment I am studying german and I use some internet sites, like Deutche Welle and others , where you can find endless content to read and to listen, designed for german learners. Importing not only the text but also the audio (mp3 format), like for youtube videos, in Readlang would be something extremely useful.
    Thank you and best regards
    Francesco (Italy)

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. good

this is a good class for a people like me i thank you really thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Publish EPUB rankings of books

I have been playing around with the difficultly rankings generated by Readlang.

I am not convinced that the "B2" "C1" etc labels are that useful. I am convinced that really map onto these levels in a meaningful way. However, a couple of quick and dirty tests I have done to test the algorithm suggests that it does generate something that correlates with the difficulty of the book.

Would it be possible to publicly list the relative rankings of novels uploaded to Readlang? It would be really helpful to know for instance, that a certain author is in the "B2" range…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree that the difficulty grades are very rough and not as useful as they should be. I’ve been planning for a long time to open source the algorithm, which is very simple, with some tests, so that others could help improve and calibrate it for different languages. The trouble is I have a lot of other things to do and extracting this code, creating tests, and documenting it never seems like a high enough priority. I would make it a priority if I were convinced that enough people would contribute to it.

6. provide searchable help files

I have just spent over an hour trying to figure out how to use Readlang. After watching a half dozen videos over and over I'm still not sure how to use Readlang or even exactly sure what it is supposed to do. I use the Chrome Language Immersion App and Anki flash cards extensively. As near as I can figure out this app is intended to be a kind of combination of the two. Unfortunately, all the instructions on program usage that I could find are based on videos. Videos are great at explaining a feature but not a program.…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello, I know my help files aren’t that complete, and I’m sorry it’s taken you so long to try to use it.

Readlang is NOT equivalent to Language Immersion for Chrome, it’s actually the opposite. e.g. In your case:
    - Language Immersion for Chrome: you read English websites, and some parts are automatically translated to French.
    - Readlang: you read French texts or websites, and parts are converted to English ONLY when you click on them, to help you understand.

It’s intended for intermediate and advanced learners, who feel ready to read entire French texts, and the way you should use it is to find French websites or texts to practice reading. Ideally they should be interesting to you and at your ability level.

Here are the steps you should probably take to get started with learning French:

Prepare
    -—————

- Go to http://readlang.com and log in or sign…

7. somehow link Quizlet to your Readlang program or duplicate much of what they have available with their games which enhance learning words.

I am not a computer geek. I wish I were. But with the age of technology going the way it is, like with apps of this that and everything. I figure it is reasonable to link your program seamlessly to others. I realize there may be permissions necessary to do so, however it should be worth the cost and effort. I personally think that Readlang should be marketed on every website that has to do with learning another language. Link that, and you should be selling your product like hotcakes. Thanks for a dynamite program. Keep up the great work.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Enable linking back to the original source text for edited words in the word list

Hi Steve

First of all, I just wanted to sincerely thank you for Readlang - it's the end of my first week of proper use and it has already been hugely transformational for me in my language learning.

One thing I have struggled with, though, is keeping my words sorted - when I save a new word to my list, I then like to edit it to be in the infinitive form if it's a verb or the masculine form if it's an adjective - this really helps me when studying the new words. The problem is that that then…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, I’ll investigate why the link appears to be broken after editing.

But really editing the words like this will make Readlang’s flashcards not function correctly, so I’d recommend to. After you’ve successfully remembered what the word is in English, the next time you see the flashcard it will ask you what it is in your target language, and will blank out the word from the example sentence. Except that if you’ve altered the word, it will not be blanked out, so you’ll see the conjugated form of the verb for example.

I actually LIKE the fact that it lets me learn conjugated forms of verbs in context. It lets me practise both vocabulary and grammar (the conjugation) at the same time.

Does this make sense?

What about putting the infinitive in the “alternatives” field of the flashcard instead, do you think that would work for you?

9. offer an export field that uses Anki's cloze syntax but with first letter showing (for hint)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this AWESOME product! I LOVE it!

If it is not too much trouble, I was hoping you might add export fields that use Anki's cloze syntax but with the first letter showing for a hint. Specifically, this is what I have in mind:

Context (Anki cloze w/ first-letter hint):
    o{{c1::riginal word}}

Context (Anki cloze w/ first-letter hint and translation):
    o{{c1::riginal word::translation}}

This is something recommended in the Anki manual, and I think it could be a big help for not just me but others.

At any rate, thanks again, Steve, for this fantastic product!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Just a comment

hi, i have just found your app.I am very impressed with it.Better than lingua.ly and alot of other language websites i have come across.
    Congratulations and well done.its late so I will come back tomorrow to check it out further............

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Shared words data: context, translation, pictures, definition aka shared vocab

Hello Steve, good job, your app is really close to what I was "dreaming" to build, but whoa-la you did it almost the same way.

I believe in learning=experiencing, not dull drilling. That is why word context and pictures are fare more important than drilling "flashcards" ( memorizing word and its translation ).

You have nice tool for skimming through word context (i use it rather then flashcard typing mode). Typing mode is nice finale, once I "know and feel" the word.

I usually add one or more context ideally with good picture and definition (I am advanced learner thus…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently all your words are private but I’ve been planning to open things up so that by default everyone shares their words and phrases publicly, and probably to restrict the option of private words to paying users only. This would open the doors for the kind of collaborative features you suggest.

Watch this space!

12. Make web reader bar multi line on small screens

I have been loving the Web Reader bookmarklet in Firefox for Android. There is one glitch, though: the reader bar seems to extend off of the mobile screen. Could this be fixed with a multi line bar?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Show the difficulty when invoking the Readlang bookmarklet

When using the Readlang bookmarklet or chrome extension, it would be nice if the toolbar showed the difficulty or CEFR level of the current page.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. possibility to add descriptions of the texts or videos in the public library,

if possible in several languages ( not everybody speaks English well enough) that way people will know what the video or text is about at a glance.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3 22 2014

Good evening Steve,

I am not sure where you are in the world.

Your app would fit in nicely at demo-pitch events. They are fun, and an individual gets funding. The people are from all over the the Bay area.

Also, a comment company called disqus has an easier comment posting service.

You are not alone, humans desire to be understood. We are still social-beings.

I was able to find your post at the y-combinator site. To me, it is an informative site that has great posts concerning coding.

A suggestion I follow that is helpful: have positive thoughts, and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Consider integrating freq lists from Bangla-Tangla

FYI, a Bangla / বাংলা frequency list (seems to reflect both stems and real-life text) is on the site http://www.banglatangla.com/. Seemed worth at least letting you know--I'm just now getting back into RL again. :-)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow adding a second (ideally also third) sidebar dictionary

Use case: Any languages where it is helpful to pull additional information from a second or third resource, e.g. to look up root word of conjucated/declensed forms; or to see more example sentences.

When reading Czech texts in LWT, I use LWT's second dictionary for extra example sentences, and I kidnapped the third one for a resource that provides grammatical information (http://prirucka.ujc.cas.cz/, for case, number etc.) This is very convenient because I get a better idea of how else a word could be used and review grammar at the same time.

One could use this similarly for Spanish,…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. At least make public library search-engine indexable!

It shouldn't be too difficult to make the public library crawlable. Lots more exposure + one can just use a "site:readlang.com" google query to look through the public library!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Extra field for answer side of flashcards

Hi,

Is it possible to add a misc field in flashcards to allow extra information to be shown on the answer side of flashcard?

For Japanese I like to have the romanisation or hiragana displayed in the answer field. I don´t want this displayed when typing in the answer (it gives it away) so I can not put it in the translation field. I imagine it would be useful for other langauges to add a note or mnemonic.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There’s an “Alternatives” field that you could add this kind of information to.

It is designed to accept alternative synonyms of the word when you type an answer, but apart from that it behaves exactly as you are suggesting – it appears when you reveal the word in your target language.

I suppose it would be nice to make a distinction between “alternative answer” and “notes”, but at the same time I don’t want to clutter the editing interface too much. What do you think?

20. Undo button

Hello Steve,

It would be nice when reviewing cards to have an "undo" button for the my last scored card. I sometimes tap the wrong key, and it would help the spaced repetition algorithm to get more accurate information if I could go back and change my scoring.

Compounding my problem is that I use SuperMemo and Anki, and they each have slightly different scoring scales, which means that I'm probably a little more prone to error when switching between them.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?