Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. Sinc Mp3 files from google docs or box

Would be really nice to sinc mp3 files from google docs/play or box, the idea is listening while reading...

Almost the same as Youtube videos.

Thanks

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Last line does not display sometimes.

I encountered this behaviour when the text was only one page long and there are only a few words on the last line. I have been having issues as well with longer texts like the line displaying twice, on the old and on the new page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve just fixed a bug where this could happen if translated words were present when chnaging page. Please give the site another try and let me know if you encounter this or any other problems.

Thanks,
    Steve

3. Allow import and use of EPUB documents directly.

If you allow import and use of EPUB documents, i.e. give Readlang the function to be an e-book reader for EPUB format (as well as text format). This would save having to convert to text in Calibre (not an onerous task admittedly).

I think what lies behind my thinking is more that the user will benefit from the look and feel of the e-book he may be used to already, and also have benefit of any chapter-headings or illustrations.

I notice that for example Calibre does not have support for foreign language dictionaries (it does allow English language lookup in…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The reason ePubs can be smaller than txt files is that they are compressed. If you rename an ePub file to .zip you can look inside :)

If I support ePub it will certainly be DRM free books only to start with. Savy technical users can easily remove DRM for their personal books using Calibre.

To support DRM ePub books seems to be very expensive. I looked briefly and it costs $10,000 upfront for Adobe Content Server plus a charge for each book distributed. So I’d need to be very confident that Readlang could make money before going down this road.

Don’t want to promise a timeframe, but I’m going to start working on DRM free ePub support soon.

4. Make it teacher-friendly

In terms of functions such as managing and sharing content make it so that teachers can recommend it to their students, use to add content for their sts, etc. I will post a video on YT explaining what I mean in more detail in the next few days.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. What happened to the scroll option?

I remember I once used the scroll option, but now I don't see it. I prefer to scroll.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry, I removed this for now because it didn’t seem polished enough, e.g.:

- The setting wasn’t remembered like the other formatting options
    - Possible confusion when it’s not available for longer texts (with long texts, scrolling through the entire text causes the browser to slow down and struggle)

I’ll work on it a bit more and put it back. I may even may it the default option for shorter texts.

6. Use Google Translate Audio for Portuguese

The audio for Portuguese is different from Google Translate, and sometimes mispronounces, eg., ç is pronounced as /k/. The quality in G Translate is better: slower, brigher and clearer.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m using the Microsoft Translate Speech API for this, which is actually better for Spanish pronunciation than Google Translate IMO. It’s a shame the Portugese isn’t so good.

Unfortunately Google don’t provide an official API to allow other developers to use their text-to-speech service. I could look into other services. but I’m not prioritizing this for the time being.

7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks. Currently all articles are plain text only.

Long term I’d like to include HTML markup to make things look prettier with headings, images, etc. But at the moment this isn’t a high priority to be honest.

Editing existing documents in plain text is more likely to happen in the short term.

8. 9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. add "unlimited highlights" to the list of premium features

Readlang is telling me I have exhausted the 200 highlights available with the free account... this should be listed in the list of premium features (that you see when you want to buy premium and elsewhere).

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. To develop an extension for other browsers as well

It would be interesting to delevop Readlang app in other browsers, other Google language indeed, just because the application deserves and could be better enjoyed by the WHOLE COMMUNITY!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Contact NYCDOE to let them know about Readlang and form an "alliance" or connection

Contact the NYC DOE and let them know about Readlang because you would have so many teachers, students, and schools using Readlang and you could even bring back "Classroom". There are so many English Language Learners trying to read the Gettysburg Address and "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" in mainstream classes with varying knowledge of English ranging from high-level to only ten words! ESL and content teachers struggle to scaffold texts, teach English, help students. But with Readlang, students can access many more texts, thereby learning content and English at the same time, faster. A principal (I showed…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. youtube

youtubeunblock

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please add a dictionary form to the flashcards

For example I'm learning German. Nouns in German have one of three genders and to be able to use the word correctly, one has to know its gender. So when I'm learning words I need to learn their gender as well.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Purpose of Alert?

Every time that I am reading an uploaded text in Readlang Library, I get the following alert partway through the text:

Alert
    To use the Readlang Web Reader:
    1. Drag this "Readlang Web Reader" link to your bookmarks bar
    2. Browse to the page you want to read
    3. Click the "Readlang Web Reader" bookmark

I already have the Green R button in the taskbar of my browser which I click on whenever I want to use it on a web page.

I am using the Chromium browser on Ubuntu. I'd prefer not to see this alert. Is there some…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. ReadLang on Google Translate page

If you set the Google Translate page to translate from your native language to your target language, enter a word or phrase, and then click on the ReadLang button, the target word or phrase works normally in ReadLang. But if you then change the input to GT, producing a new target language output, then the green line for ReadLang does not appear and Readlang does not work. If you refresh the page, ReadLang will then work with the new translated word or phrase.

The reason I like to use ReadLang in this way is to input words or expressions into…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As you’ve discovered, refreshing the page is the only way to get the Readlang clickable translations back after a page update at the moment. Fixing this would be quite complicated.

One alternative is to enter your words or phrases into the “Lookup” search box on the Words page (http://readlang.com) – this will show a translation which you can click to immediately add to your word list.

Hope that helps.

1 2 20 21 22 24 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base