Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

109 results found

1. Drag to highlight multi-word definitions

Else keep separate as default click behavior in the reader view. Some adjacent words are still multiple concepts!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. To use saved words more functional

Hello, First of all thank you for this amazing platform.
    My proposal will be about saved words.
    I read 3 texts per day at least. I noticed that sometimes I save same words in my words list in the text which I am reading. If there is a way to see the words in my saved word list on the text which is being read then this will be amazing.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make answers really hidden (no cheating)

Answers are easily made visible by text-selecting the context.
    There should be real hiding, so no cheat is possible

https://i.postimg.cc/XNKcN3nF/screenshot-686.png

I can imagine that users find it easy to be able to cheat every now and then, though...

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add option to disable highlighting of current word spoken in youtube video

In Text section of settings, or in Youtube section, add a toggle switch to enable/disable highlighting of whe current word spoken (synced). For longer videos, especially when speaking is fast, it is tedious to sync it manually, so when one just wants to read the text and listen to audio word highlighting pops around fast (especially in video and text are not synced) which makes reading difficult. In that case, text won't auto-scroll of course, user will need to scroll as video goes (if needed, for example if watching on mobile device).

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add compatibility for Chinese full stops

When saving words in Chinese, too much context is saved along with it. It seems as if only western stops (.) are used to separate sentences, while Chinese stops (。) aren't recognized. It would be great if Chinese full stops were recognized so that sentences are automatically parsed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Chinese full stops are now supported, so contexts will be limited to the current sentence.

(This is already live on readlang.com, and will be available in the Chrome extension as soon as Google approve the release, which normally happens within 24 hours, but could take longer)

6. Get rid of the "session complete!" message after every set of review cards, it's 2 seconds people don't want to wait to get to the next set

The cheery new "session complete!" message is unfortunately pretty aggravating. I'm in a flow and where I'd before just hit enter again to get into another set of cards now I have to wait 2 full seconds looking at "session complete!" before I can continue. The screen saying how many words I've reviewed is reinforcement enough. The "session complete!" message just makes me want to stop.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback!

The main reason I added this was so that there was some instant feedback upon reaching the end of the session, at which point there used to be a pause of a second or so where it felt like maybe Readlang hadn't registered your last button press (at least on my account which has an unusually large amount of words). So to make it feel more responsive I added the "Session Complete" step while the words and graph were loading. To avoid the "Session Complete" step feeling too brief, I made it wait at least 2s regardless of how long the server request took, which I agree wasn't ideal.

I've now updated the behavior so that "Session Complete" will remain at the top of the page, and the other content including the graph and the words learned today will appear below it as soon as the…

7. Salute Jonathan

Hi. I don't know if you know, but the second story in the Catalan Public Texts, Salute Jonathan, is actually in Interlingua, not in Catalan.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Expand Explain function to more languaged (and let me switch between languages)

The Explain function often provides much better translations than the initial translation you get. But it isn't available in many languages.

I'd love to be able to be able to use it with Swedish and Finnish and be able to switch between the languages used for explaining.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow the text to be copied and pasted.

Oftentimes the translation is incorrect and I would like to copy and paste the text into chat GPT to get the correct translation.
    Having to type out the whole sentence including the ö å ä letters is painfully slow and very demotivating because it stops the flow of the story.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Upgrade Readability.js

Please upgrade the version of Readability.js in chrome extension.

I constantly run into a bug on some sites, namely "washingtonpost.com", which has been fixed in https://github.com/mozilla/readability/commit/2333080231e62b5d1212058bf20ed8e1a7c62040

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Chapter containing only numbers

Currently you cannot have chapter titles consisting only of numbers.

For example, this markup will result in only Part I and Part II chapters being rendered.

# Part I

## 1
    Text text text text text text text text text text
    ## 2

# Part II

## 3
    ## 4

I've recently started to read Albert Camus — The stranger, which uses exactly that chapter structure, so I had…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! I'm currently reading a book with this exact problem so it had been on my mind but you've given me the impetus to actually fix it, which I've just done. The fix will only apply to new texts or texts which you edit and re-save.

12. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I've just made a followup change which changes the button into a toggle between "Show Dictionary" and "Hide Dictionary" and the setting persists within the same browser session, so that once you've clicked "Show Dictionary" once you won't need to keep clicking it for each new card you open. This isn't exactly what you asked for but I hope you'll find it a reasonable compromise.

(I added this feature because the external dictionaries add a lot of clutter and can feel like they are getting in the way, particularly when you want to scroll the main page but end up scrolling within the external dictionary instead. Also, they sometimes hijack the keyboard input focus which is annoying when you are trying to edit the translation for example)

13. Remove saved words when I declick the translation

I sometimes will click a word to see the exact translation and then click it again to turn it off. Sometimes i'll click around a phrase until i get exactly what i want to translate because maybe the first word or two words by themselves don't convey the entire meaning. But then I go to flashcards and I have many variants of that phrase saved or words i accidentally clicked saved. I can't use the flashcard feature without going through garbage and deleting hundreds of words for one article sometimes so I am no longer going to use readlang and…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Classroom applications

I really like your product. In fact, I've been wishing I had features designed specifically for use in a classroom setting. It is something I would be willing to pay a nominal annual fee for as well.

1. Organize readings/songs into classes, such as a library associated with a particular class.
    2. A secure space to share materials to one audience without sharing to the world.
    3. Access to student progress on specific readings and vocab words.
    4. Student portal to individually find what is assigned or available to the student from the teacher.
    5. Ability to assign definitions to specific words to help guide…
    1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can organize your shared texts together to share with your students using the shelves feature: http://blog.readlang.com/2015/11/16/organize-your-favorite-language-learning-content-with-shelves.html – This addresses point 1 and is available to premium members only.

I actually did create a set of features which cover points 2, 3, and 4. Some teachers actually found them useful with their classes. The problem was that as one person I couldn’t focus on this and the main product so I’ve stopped development on them. While they aren’t causing a problem I’ll leave them running. So if you’d like to try them out, let me know the email address you signed up to Readlang with, and I’ll grant you access to the teacher admin panel for you to try them out.

Point 5 has been on my mind for a while, but I never got around to it.

15. Text to Speach audio option along with the text

It would be very useful to be able to hear the text (not only single words), maybe using a TTS synthesiser like the one that now pronounces single words. It would be great to let Readlang speak a selected phrase or even the entire text, making it a sort of audiobook with both text and audio. It would improve a lot the learning experience for those who want to improve the pronunciation and speech recognition, along with the reading abilities.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I've just added a "Read Aloud" feature using synthetic voices. If your browser supports it, you'll see a play/pause button at the bottom of the reader page which, when clicked, will read the text out loud, highlighting the current word being spoken. This is only available if your browser supports locally generated text-to-speech on the device you are using.

This was only added last night, so if you have a Readlang tab already open, please refresh it to get access to the new feature. And if you notice any bugs, please let me know!

The feature is available to all Readlang users, and Premium users are additionally able to customize the voice in the "AA" sidebar tab.

Please let me know what you think!

16. Option NOT to save words, only translate.

Too much trash goes to magic word mashine, so they are saved only when they are starred(favorite).

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is now a new option allowing you to quickly delete words after translating by clicking the translation a second time. See here to learn how to enable this mode: https://blog.readlang.com/2023/06/09/delete-on-untranslate.html

(Note that if you extend an existing phrase to include extra words around it for added context, the shorter phrase will automatically be deleted so that only the larger phrase remains. Readlang has worked like this for many years.)

17. add pictures to words from Google pictures to words that saved

Simply give us an opportunity to paste pictures in flashcards from Google pictures.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Cards can now have images!

In the “Edit Card” panel, accessible from the reader page, Words page, and Learn page, there is an option to paste an image URL. All you have to do is right click an image on any other site, e.g. Google Image search, select “Copy image URL” or “Copy image location” and paste it into this box. Click the Save button to save this change before exiting.

This image will now appear above the flashcard in the Learn page.

I realise it would be nice to do an image search and automatically present some examples to choose from within Readlang, but this would require paying google or microsoft so I’m avoiding it for now.

Please give it a try and if you have any suggestions for improving this, either leave a comment below or add a new idea. Thanks!

18. Firefox Extension

Please think of us Firefox users, and also do a Firefox extension like the one for chrome. Yes there is already the bookmark, but I'd like Firefox to be treated as a first-class citizen. Thanks, and congrats to such an AWESOME product :)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Intsall the firefox extension with this link:

http://blog.readlang.com/content/readlangFirefoxExtension.xpi

To use either:
    - Right click on a page and select “Readlang Web Reader”
    - Add the toolbar button from the Options→Toolbar Layout… menu item

If you find problems, please let me know.

Thanks!

PS: The extension was removed from the Mozilla Add-on gallery because it fetches code from my server to avoid manual updates, which is not permitted. Still, it’s completely fine for you to use and works exactly like the bookmarklet.

19. phrases

For subscribers....let us separate phrases. (in french) If ever i click on a noun phrase that i want to save as a flash card... I can't click on the following words otherwise it attaches itself to the previous phrase.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fix bug where the context sentence doesn't include text from the previous page.

When using the reader in Readlang, if I click on a word in a sentence that spans two pages, the captured context sentence does not include words from the previous page. I end up having to delete these cards because an incomplete context sentence is not useful.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?