Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

473 results found

1. some English to Arabic words are wrongly translated.

I do suggest adding a button whereby users flag those words for your review.
    By the way the application is great and I find it very interesting.
    Good Luck.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. incorporate text-to-speech for Czech

Please! Please! Please!

:)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow for annotations of texts

For words with multiple meanings, or words that have a specific meaning based on their context, or for proper nouns. It would be helpful for native speakers to annotate the meanings of these words, instead of just giving the generic dictionary definition.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Flashcard statistics/setting

Would it be possible to enhance flashcard statistics with e.g. how many words I'm supposed to review today i.e. to keep reviews and the new words apart. If I have no time to study them today, I'd just review the old ones to keep them alive in my head. After my reviews if I had more time, I'd start to learn new words.

Cheers

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Mobi

I was just wondering if it was possible to enable uploading .mobi books that are more common, I have a kindle reader with many books that I'd like to read via Readlang.

Cheers!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Glossing Mode in web reader

Glossing mode (http://blog.readlang.com/2015/03/08/new-look-translations.html) is awesome. It would be great to bring such awesomeness to the web reader as well. Any plans in this direction?

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve just done this for you manually, but here’s how you could have done it:

Simply uncheck the “Send Daily ??? Reminders” checkbox on the preferences page: http://readlang.com/preferences

There is a link to this page at the bottom of each of the reminder emails.

I’ll probably work on putting a simple one click link to unsubscribe at the bottom of the emails in future.

8. TED Talks in Translation

I would like to be able to 'add a text' of an target language TED talk transcript and link the english video (much like youtube feature but with video from TED domain)

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m afraid it would be too much work to support other online video players at the moment, but hopefully the videos you are looking for will appear on YouTube.

Are there many TED videos which aren’t available on YouTube?

9. Czech- text-to speech

Good Morning, Peter!

I was just wondering about the prospects for getting Czech text-to-speech anytime soon.

Many Thanks for this great app

Sean B.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Develop the possibility to import audio other than text.

In my opinion there is only one thing to add in this wonderful tool to make it perfect for language learning, and that is the possibility to import also the audio associated to a text.
    For example, at the moment I am studying german and I use some internet sites, like Deutche Welle and others , where you can find endless content to read and to listen, designed for german learners. Importing not only the text but also the audio (mp3 format), like for youtube videos, in Readlang would be something extremely useful.
    Thank you and best regards
    Francesco (Italy)

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. good

this is a good class for a people like me i thank you really thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. В каком случае "удалять" слово?

В каком случае "удалять" слово? Не является ли эта возможность для подтверждения того, что перевод слова не вызывает сомнения и нет необходимости его повторять? А с другой стороны, не хочется удалять, а повторить его месяца через три, полгода, год. Это возможно?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Publish EPUB rankings of books

I have been playing around with the difficultly rankings generated by Readlang.

I am not convinced that the "B2" "C1" etc labels are that useful. I am convinced that really map onto these levels in a meaningful way. However, a couple of quick and dirty tests I have done to test the algorithm suggests that it does generate something that correlates with the difficulty of the book.

Would it be possible to publicly list the relative rankings of novels uploaded to Readlang? It would be really helpful to know for instance, that a certain author is in the "B2" range…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree that the difficulty grades are very rough and not as useful as they should be. I’ve been planning for a long time to open source the algorithm, which is very simple, with some tests, so that others could help improve and calibrate it for different languages. The trouble is I have a lot of other things to do and extracting this code, creating tests, and documenting it never seems like a high enough priority. I would make it a priority if I were convinced that enough people would contribute to it.

14. provide searchable help files

I have just spent over an hour trying to figure out how to use Readlang. After watching a half dozen videos over and over I'm still not sure how to use Readlang or even exactly sure what it is supposed to do. I use the Chrome Language Immersion App and Anki flash cards extensively. As near as I can figure out this app is intended to be a kind of combination of the two. Unfortunately, all the instructions on program usage that I could find are based on videos. Videos are great at explaining a feature but not a program.…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello, I know my help files aren’t that complete, and I’m sorry it’s taken you so long to try to use it.

Readlang is NOT equivalent to Language Immersion for Chrome, it’s actually the opposite. e.g. In your case:
    - Language Immersion for Chrome: you read English websites, and some parts are automatically translated to French.
    - Readlang: you read French texts or websites, and parts are converted to English ONLY when you click on them, to help you understand.

It’s intended for intermediate and advanced learners, who feel ready to read entire French texts, and the way you should use it is to find French websites or texts to practice reading. Ideally they should be interesting to you and at your ability level.

Here are the steps you should probably take to get started with learning French:

Prepare
    -—————

- Go to http://readlang.com and log in or sign…

15. Toggle translation on of

Hello Developper,
    Thank you very much for this great tool.
    Just a suggestion to make it a bit better.
    Toggle Button for Translation on of.
    When i press button everthing will be original agan. Pressing again shows the
    Translation of the translated words.
    Kind regards.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. faster way to delete

I have recently started using Readlang to work though books and add unknown words to a wordlist that I then export to Anki.

At my level (B2+) there often isn't a useful Google translation for the words I am looking up (this occurs perhaps 1 in 3 times). I also often look up both translations of word phrases, as well as individual words in the phrase, and so end up with multiple cards (word phrase, individual words), of which I often only want one card.

It would be nice if I could simply delete words from the word list by…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You may like to try the new auto-highlight feature: You may like to try the new auto-highlight feature

If you click on a previously translated word/phrase it will present a pop up allowing you to delete it without opening the sidebar.

17. somehow link Quizlet to your Readlang program or duplicate much of what they have available with their games which enhance learning words.

I am not a computer geek. I wish I were. But with the age of technology going the way it is, like with apps of this that and everything. I figure it is reasonable to link your program seamlessly to others. I realize there may be permissions necessary to do so, however it should be worth the cost and effort. I personally think that Readlang should be marketed on every website that has to do with learning another language. Link that, and you should be selling your product like hotcakes. Thanks for a dynamite program. Keep up the great work.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. would it be possible to allow editing of the word? (e.g. to add gender)

First - excellent idea and execution. Just found readlang this afternoon!

The question is - if it's not too much work, could you enable editing of the foreign language word by users - for me, mainly for adding gender information in some way.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

It is possible to edit the word, translation and context sentence by clicking the little pencil icon in the corner of the flashcards, or by clicking on one of the words on the “Words” page.

The way I use it is to leave the original word and context alone, but I alter the translation and perhaps add clarification there. e.g. in the translation I may change “it” to “it (female)”. Another thing you can do is add an alternative original word, but if you do this, please make sure it is exactly appropriate for the context sentence.

Does this help with your query?
    Steve

19. learn English text like a song

you put any text . when someone want to read the text can listen what is writen in this text too , for good prononsiation.thanks.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. web reader add words to list

I'm not sure if I'm getting it right, but I've installed the chrome ios readlang web reader -- it translates fine, but the words I've clicked on don't seem to be added to my word list. Is that function not available or am I doing something wrong?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This certainly should work, I’ve just tested it and for me it works fine.

Are you sure you’re logged into Readlang on iOS Chrome? You can log by either:

1. Going to http://readlang.com and logging in to your account.
    2. Using the web reader, try to translate a phrase, it will only allow you to do this if you’re logged in, otherwise it will prompt you to log in.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base