Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

109 results found

1. Option to clear Waiting Area

Allow to mark and delete all words at once in waiting area (looks like currently you have to click all of of them)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Support for Bulgarian?

Can you add support for Bulgarian?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow users to export only words added since last export

On the export words page, it would be good to be able to export only words that have been added since last export. This way if someone is building a list on cerego or memrise they don't double-add anything.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Video bookmarking

I'm learning french and looking for good videos in youtube with audio and captions in french. With the readlang's chrome extension it becomes a great tool, because you can translate (and look up in the dictionary) the words in the transcript viewer, and if you click in the time indicator you may also navigate trough the video without having to disable the extension.
    I think that it would be a good feature if there was the option to add videos as bookmarks (instead of importing them), and having a separate tab in readlang for this bookmarked videos. In the future,…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve added the ability to vote on any webpage now, so you can upvote from any YouTube video page via the Web Reader, and it will appear with the rest of the shared texts in the Readlang public library. See here: http://blog.readlang.com/2013/11/06/readlang-has-been-redditized.html

Note that for the Readlang Web Reader to work, you need to load it after the YouTube transcription is visible.

I hope the mix of outgoing YouTube links and Readlang based YouTube transcritions won’t be confusing to users!

5. Allow adding custom external dictionaries

Let us specify a URL for our favourite dictionary, which may even be for a language that Google Translate doesn't support.

(Obviously the dictionary would need to work by entering the word to be translated somewhere in the URL.)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Chinese?

Where are E Asian Languages?

ploucky@hotmail.com

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve just added basic Japanese and Chinese support.

It avoids the word-detecting problem by leaving it up to you to drag across all the characters in a word or phrase.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

7. E aSIAN Lanuages?

Steve U dont have any suppport for any E Asian Languages yet right? Pls let me know once U do! Thx!

JPLoucky

CALL4ALL.us

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Replace message boxes with warning labels

Glad to see the 'over 8 words' warning is no more a message box.

It would be much convenient if "You're on the first page" and "You've reached the end" message boxes are replaced with such warning labels as well. It's both ugly and a nuisance.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Support dividing books into chapters

It'd be great to have a book stored as one file but divided into different chapters. I know it's been mentioned before but i just wanted to post it here, too. For example, if you're reading The Little Prince, clicking on it would expand into a list of the chapters. Clicking on the chapter would, of course, load that chapter.

It'd be nice to be able to load a .txt file and perhaps assign a special character/sequence of characters to define the start of a new chapter and its name. So you could mark chapters in the .txt file and…

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. add pictures to words from Google pictures to words that saved

Like on Memrise.com Simply doing our own mems with pictures.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s possible to add images to cards now, although I admit it’s not the best interface at the moment.

In the “Edit Card” panel, accessible from the reader page, Words page, and Learn page, there is an option to paste an image URL. All you have to do is right click an image on any other site, e.g. Google Image search, select “Copy image URL” or “Copy image location” and paste it into this box. Click the Save button to save this change before exiting.

This image will now appear above the flashcard in the Learn page.

I realise it would be nice to do an image search and automatically present some examples to choose from within Readlang, but this would require paying google or microsoft so I’m avoiding it for now.

11. Option to NOT translate.

I'd like to see integration with native monolingual dictionaries, especially since I am an advanced learner of Catalan and the only option at the moment is a Google translate for words that I don't recognize

For example: This is a good Catalan dictionary: http://dlc.iec.cat/

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Highlighting saved words

It would be nice to highlight the words that we've saved so that we know that we've come across them before. I don't really care if there is a known rating(like learning with texts or linq). Personally it helps me with recall when I use LWT and I think it would be nice in this program too!

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can enable this feature by opening the reader sidebar, opening the “AA” tab (Customize Appearance) and selecting one of:

- “Ready to Learn (recommended)” – highlights the words that you’ve translated but haven’t yet learned via the flashcards.
    - “All Your Words” – highlights all of your words

If you click a highlighted (actually underlined) word then it will open a pop up which you can use to edit or delete the word.

I’m closing this ticket now, although I’m still thinking of improving it by adding the ability to:

- Use similar highlighting in the Web Reader http://readlang.uservoice.com/forums/192149-general/suggestions/7253901-auto-highlight-saved-words-in-the-web-reader
    - Adding a practice mode which displays the translations in place of the original words, creating a cloze test that lets you practice on the whole text similar to how you would on the flashcard page. http://readlang.uservoice.com/forums/192149-general/suggestions/7253880-add-practice-mode-which-turns-a-whole-text-into-a

If you think these would be useful please vote for them. Actually, that…

13. Support for Japanese

Can you add support for Japanese?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve just added basic Japanese support.

It avoids the word-detecting problem by leaving it up to you to drag across all the characters in a word or phrase.

Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

14. Thank you

Thank you, Steve, for your great work. This is one of the most useful language-learning tools I've ever seen. Wish you all good luck.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. add text-grading functionality

As you mention in your blog, some texts can be too difficult. Sometimes we want to read an easy text fast, with only occasional translation, but it's difficult to determine the level of difficulty in a foreign language. One way is to run the text through a readability app. Then, if people want to share that text, they can have the option to select the readability score. This would save subsequent readers the effort of sifting through texts that are at a reasonable level (my current problem in Portuguese). If your app is also teacher-friendly, teachers would have the incentive…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve implemented a basic version of this now.

It’s enabled for most of the languages, and you will see it to the left of each book/article in the Library. The languages where it’s not enabled will have a warning status message at the bottom of the screen.

It uses a combination of the Automated Readability Index (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Readability_Index) and the percentage of words which are in the 2000 most frequently used in the language.

I don’t claim it’s perfect, far from it. But it seems to give reasonably sensible results in Spanish and English at least. I can’t judge the other languages. Please let me know how you find it, especially if you think it’s getting the grading wrong.

It’s very likely I’ll tweak this over the next few months so don’t be surprised if the grades start changing :).

16. Easy export to Quizlet via csv file

While Anki is, to my knowledge, good for spaced repetiiton learning, Quizlet has many other useful functions such as writing, sharing, etc. Importing into Quizlet requires a Comma Separated Values text document. Would be best if just got that as a pop up than saving onto desktop.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow for deleting many or all words in one fell swoop

Currently you can delete words one by one. If you add a document and decide to delete it, the words remain. I'd like the option of deleting several or all words easily instead of having to delete them individually - perhaps a 'select all' or highlight selection feature? Not a biggie, just a thought.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve implemented this now, you can check the words and delete them all at once. To select a range of words in one go, check the first one and then hold shift and click the last in the range.

Please let me know if you have more suggestions!

Steve

18. introduce folders

Thanks for the features so far. Grouping the texts in folders would be great.

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Not translating words

The program doesn't seem to be translating words as well as it used to. Using Portuguese, it translates some words some of the time and others none of the time. Highlighting single words rarely translates the word, while highlighting a phrase or sentence will usually translate some of the words but leave others in Portuguese.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When recording words and translations, give more context

When I am reading and I click on a word or group of words, give me some more context for where the words came from. In a given sentence, I may only need to translate a couple of words, but I need the whole sentence to understand the usage, especially in a language with lots of declensions.

The alternative is that I just click on every word in a sentence if there is any word that I don't know. That would basically mean, "click on every word."

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?