Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. Allow offline flashcards

Make the current webpage work offline for studying flashcards.

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. allow the user to select a block of text for to save for study

the user is able to select a large block of untranslated text to be sent to readlang learning mode.

Essentially, if there's a section that's difficult and the user wants to study it in context, they'll be able to select whatever quantity of text they like and sent it off to be studied without translating.

I like this idea for moving readlang beyond translation. Breaking down texts and studying difficult passages with a little more context than is already provided for in the system

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. better support high-latency connections

I'm using your site from Bangladesh, and my connection to the States is fairly high-latency (320-340ms to readlang.com right now, 150-200 to Google's 8.8.8.8). Unfortunately, one effect of this seems to be that I can sometimes (not always) wait a long time for a word to appear. (I just had it happen w/ এইভাবে; it took 23 seconds!) I clicked on a number of words before that one, and most took 4 seconds. If there's any optimization you can do for high-latency connections, it would be most appreciated.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sometimes google translate itself can take a few seconds to respond, but it certainly shouldn’t take 23 seconds!

There’s not that much I can do to improve things if the latency and/or bandwidth of your connection is slow. The request and response when doing a translation are quite small already, so the only way I can think to speed things up would be to pre-fetch translations for every word in the text you are reading, and that would only work for individual words, not phrases. This is something I’ll consider when looking into offline usage in future, no promises on when that’ll be though.

4. add some more trainings to learn section

Not only guessing word, but many different trainings such as word-translate, translate-word, audio-writing, crossword. Watch on this site http://lingualeo.ru/ It's russian but you can switch it to English. It really helps you to memorise new words, believe me.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m working on an API to allow anyone to create training games. There’s an early alpha version here in case any developers want to try it out:

https://github.com/SteveRidout/readlang-api

Here’s a basic game to demonstrate it:

http://steveridout.github.io/readlang-api/

I don’t plan to create games myself any time soon, since I want to concentrate on the other core features of Readlang, but I hope that other developers may be tempted to try.

UPDATE

There is now a typing mode for Readlang’s flashcards that you can enable from the preferences page, see this blog post for details:

http://blog.readlang.com/2013/11/11/typing-mode.html

5. modify it so teachers can use it.

This seems to be a marvelous site. I would love to use it for my class and it would be great to be able to share a text with the students.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can create texts and make them public using the “Share” button from the Library. This means that anyone will be able to see them, not only your students. Would this be suitable for you?

I’d love to make the site more usable for teachers. Please let me know what features you would need to use the site as a teacher.

Also, once the site is out of beta I plan to offer paid subscription options to make the site sustainable, do you think teachers would be willing to pay a small fee for features to manage a group of students?

Thanks,
    Steve

6. Add a text-search facility.

Add a text-search facility.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. (long-term?) - Parallel Texts? (parallel versions of the same book).

I was wondering if you might think about supporting parallel texts, which is a way that some learners like to read their books.

I should say that I'm not really thinking of an actual parallel-ised version of a book (although that might be another option), but when you have, say, an e-book in your target language, and a translation of it into your native language as another e-book.

I think with suitable "screen gymnastics" it's probably possible to read a book in parallel already with something like Calibre, but it would be great if there were a tool specifically designed…

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I really like this idea. In fact I’ve been thinking about something similar for a while.

When a text is far beyond your reading level a side by side option would be ideal. And when you aren’t struggling so much, it’s probably better to show the translation only for sentences or paragraphs as needed, like you suggest.

No promises on this at the moment though I’m afraid, I have a lot of other work to do first.

8. Allow import and use of EPUB documents directly.

If you allow import and use of EPUB documents, i.e. give Readlang the function to be an e-book reader for EPUB format (as well as text format). This would save having to convert to text in Calibre (not an onerous task admittedly).

I think what lies behind my thinking is more that the user will benefit from the look and feel of the e-book he may be used to already, and also have benefit of any chapter-headings or illustrations.

I notice that for example Calibre does not have support for foreign language dictionaries (it does allow English language lookup in…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The reason ePubs can be smaller than txt files is that they are compressed. If you rename an ePub file to .zip you can look inside :)

If I support ePub it will certainly be DRM free books only to start with. Savy technical users can easily remove DRM for their personal books using Calibre.

To support DRM ePub books seems to be very expensive. I looked briefly and it costs $10,000 upfront for Adobe Content Server plus a charge for each book distributed. So I’d need to be very confident that Readlang could make money before going down this road.

Don’t want to promise a timeframe, but I’m going to start working on DRM free ePub support soon.

9. Sinc Mp3 files from google docs or box

Would be really nice to sinc mp3 files from google docs/play or box, the idea is listening while reading...

Almost the same as Youtube videos.

Thanks

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Last line does not display sometimes.

I encountered this behaviour when the text was only one page long and there are only a few words on the last line. I have been having issues as well with longer texts like the line displaying twice, on the old and on the new page.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’ve just fixed a bug where this could happen if translated words were present when chnaging page. Please give the site another try and let me know if you encounter this or any other problems.

Thanks,
    Steve

11. Make it teacher-friendly

In terms of functions such as managing and sharing content make it so that teachers can recommend it to their students, use to add content for their sts, etc. I will post a video on YT explaining what I mean in more detail in the next few days.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. What happened to the scroll option?

I remember I once used the scroll option, but now I don't see it. I prefer to scroll.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry, I removed this for now because it didn’t seem polished enough, e.g.:

- The setting wasn’t remembered like the other formatting options
    - Possible confusion when it’s not available for longer texts (with long texts, scrolling through the entire text causes the browser to slow down and struggle)

I’ll work on it a bit more and put it back. I may even may it the default option for shorter texts.

13. Use Google Translate Audio for Portuguese

The audio for Portuguese is different from Google Translate, and sometimes mispronounces, eg., ç is pronounced as /k/. The quality in G Translate is better: slower, brigher and clearer.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m using the Microsoft Translate Speech API for this, which is actually better for Spanish pronunciation than Google Translate IMO. It’s a shame the Portugese isn’t so good.

Unfortunately Google don’t provide an official API to allow other developers to use their text-to-speech service. I could look into other services. but I’m not prioritizing this for the time being.

14. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks. Currently all articles are plain text only.

Long term I’d like to include HTML markup to make things look prettier with headings, images, etc. But at the moment this isn’t a high priority to be honest.

Editing existing documents in plain text is more likely to happen in the short term.

15. 9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 20 21 22 24 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?