Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. Open Word Reference without giving focus to the text entry box.

It causes the on-screen keyboard to disply on my Android tablet and I am so tired of closing that thing every single time when all I want to do is see the definition of the selected word in the text, not enter a new word.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Blackbar

The black bar at the bottom in flashcards bops up and down between each flash card. It is very distracting. It also doesn't sit at the fixed at the bottom of the screen. Also all the content fits into the page then it is just white space below the bar. It would be better if the black bar stayed stationary the bottom and as little of the page changed when moving though flash cards.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Page moving

When I click something that take me to the next slide the black bar at the bottom of the screen moves up and down it is very annoying, It would be better if it were static or only appeared if I moved my cursor over it or if it was attached to the bottom of the screen and not the bottom of the cards interface in "/learn". It is a big enough distraction for me to lose interest in this application.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. jump to page # or percentage of text

I'm reading a long novel in ReadLang. I lost my place (50% in) by accidentally jumping ahead to 84%. It seems there is no way to go back or forwards other than one page at a time. The app needs a "jump to..." feature or slider like other eBook readers.

Also, ReadLang now thinks I have read 84% of this book which I can't change.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Need the "reading" of the words highlighted too for japanese.

When I click on a word it only shows me the meaning, I can't see the reading of that word which is consisted with kanji easily. It would be so much easier and faster if we could see the reading along with meaning just by clicking on a word.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Should build some app for android and enhance high frequency word training

That's a great idea with flashcards, but brouser refreshes the page each time I try to look a word in some other page, so all my progress disappears. Also it would be great to learn words with exact frequency only. For example, button for repeat only 7500 high freq words. Other words would be trained by guessing from the context.
    I would definetly pay for the service that simply remembers previous state and have smart SRS.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Your progress in the flashcards should be remembered if you are logged in. Readlang uses a SRS to schedule words – you’ll see a summary of when they are next scheduled after completing a flashcard session.

Readlang prioritizes the most frequent words of those that you have translated based on a word frequency list of the top 50,000 words (assuming your learning language is not in beta mode).

If you want to browse when in the middle of a flashcard session, I recommend simply opening another tab.

Hope this helps. If I misunderstood your question please let me know.

9. Running readlang on Microsoft Edge browser

I seem to have trouble running readlang on Edge, where the translations appear over words. Is there a way to run it?

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make "Un-star " an option in the Actions menu.

I like to star a lot of words (up to a 100 at at time), but then I have to un-star each one by hand. It would be great if I could un-star them in one fell swoop.

By the way:

Book Shelves: LOVE THEM!
    New review options: LOVE THEM!

Many thanks for the great tool, which I continue to recommend every chance I get.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Google translate alternative translations

Have you given any thought to doing something similar to what Google translate house, where you can click on a translated text and select an alternative translation? I had just recently discovered this tool this past weekend, and have been having some fun getting to know it's capabilities. What I've been doing in the past was taking my own foreign text dividing it up into sentences or phrases based on punctuation and putting that into Google translate and as I'm reading selecting the alternative translations where it makes more sense right in line with the text. And then I can…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s a good idea. But unfortunately google translate doesn’t offer these alternative translations via its API (which is what Readlang pays for to get its translations). This is frustrating since they do offer these alternatives on their own website. One option I have is to use Microsoft’s Bing translate service in addition to Google Translate which does provide alternative translations. This isn’t likely to happen any time soon though I’m afraid.

12. Allow native speakers to edit translations

I appreciate the use of Google translate, but there are errors! I clicked on an article from German into English, just to see what would happen. When I selected an unfamiliar word in English, I was given the German word, and it was conjugated. However, it said there was no English word! Case made.
    I want to refer my students to this remarkable resource, but I cannot with bizarre translations popping up.
    Generally speaking, the best translations are accomplished when a native speaker translates from the "other" language into his or her own.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Could readers turn on or off the synchronizing brown marker on Youtube videos (some students will love it, others find it distracting)

Make it so readers can turn on or off the synchronizing, brown highlighter on Youtube videos. Then my students who find it really distracting could turn it off (and turn it on if they get lost and need temporary help finding their place) but students who love it can keep the moving highlighter.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried this with your students yet? If so, roughly how many found it distracting?

I don’t have much time to alter Readlang at the moment and will only add more options like this if it benefits a lot of users.

14. filter to remove already read articles and watched videos

if there's not a filter already somewhere, developing an option to filter read content would be helpful to user. I keep seeing the content I already worked on all the time and the only way to keep track of what I did is to "love" them so they have a mark.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. transcription

I love the functionality of reading along with a video. It is great for getting pronunciation and clarity of what is being said. However, I would love to see this taken to a new level of functionality.

My suggestion comes from a program I have used called Rhubarb or WebRhubarb (https://www.cict.co.uk/textoys/rhubarb.php). Here's the gist:

Assuming there is a text that is synced with a video, I would like the option of turning the text into a transcription activity. In other words, the program would render the words as blanks (letters as underscores or * for example). Then as…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Paragraph Translation feature

Paragraph Translation Needed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry, but I pay Google per character for their Translate service so translating whole paragraphs would be too expensive.

Readlang is designed for intermediate & advanced learners who just need the occasional word or phrase translated.

18. make it possible to have split verbs as flash cards (German)

For example, many German reflexive verbs use the form (sich) infinitive. These can mean something different than without sich. The sich declines with the pronoun.

Further, there are splittable (trennbar) verbs in German. The infinitive form has a prefix, but in certain tenses, the verb is split across the sentence. Example: infinitive- anprobieren - "to try on" (notice it is also splittable in English). One can say, "Ich werde diese Kleidung anprobieren," I will try on these clothes. One can also say, "Ich probiere diese Kleidung an." I am trying on these clothes.

In these cases, the two words are…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Translation Behavior Display Settings

Current translation behavior for "highlight" or "underline" is to provide the translation above the selected word/phrase. This often causes a shift in the text and uneven line spacing. Implement double line spacing display option so that the above text translation does not disturb/shift line locations

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Idea For Chinese to make it work

I suggest adding pinyin on the top of words

The main problem with Chinese is that it has no alphabet
    Adding pinyin on the top to make it readable and then checking the meaning will make it work. Check out Pinyiner on Android then you will get what I mean.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General