Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. English definition

Hi ;o)

Nice app, I have a suggestion though: reference.com let people choose the option "English definition", shouldn't be great that your app allows to do the same? When I study english I don't like to have the definition in my native language because it forces me to make the translation in my mind whereas I want to think in english! :) I know that a lot of learners think the same (see fluent-forever; fluent in 3 months; Antimoon etc.)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. audio for context sentences

It'd be very helpful if there were audio option that could read the sentences from which the key word/phrase was taken (jut like there's audio for words/phrases that are learned

or it could be like this that when I guess what is the missing word (translation) then the sentence would be filled in with my correct answer and then I could play audio for it

It's just a free idea; that would also strengthen our comprehension skills and keep us away from incorrect pronunciation

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Automatic audio playback is now available for premium users, it doesn’t read the whole context sentence at the moment, but plays the specific word or phrase when:

- You translate a word or phrase
    - The side of the flashcard in your target language is displayed

You can enable it by checking “Speaking Mode” from the settings page: http://readlang.com/settings

It works for the following 17 languages: Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Please let me know what you think of this and how it works.

Some notes:
    1. It doesn’t work when using the Web Reader on iOS.
    2. When enabled, you’ll see an audio icon at the top of the reader page and during a flashcard session allowing you to toggle “speaking mode” – this won’t appear at all if it wasn’t enabled first from the settings page…

3. adding an option to choose which words to turn into flashcards

I'd like to be able to. Currently, the system creates flashcards for every word or phrase that I translate, but I'd like to have more control over the creation of the flashcards.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When reading on readlang.com you can open the sidebar (the little button in the top right of the page), go to Words, and then delete the ones you don’t want to keep.

Or, after reading with the Web Reader, you could go to http://readlang.com/words and remove the ones you don’t want to keep there.

The idea is not to have to make unnecessary choices while reading so that you can focus completely on the story you’re reading.

Does this workflow suit you or would you prefer have to click an extra button while reading to save a word to your list?

4. Create distinction between words and phrases

It'd be great if words and phrases are sorted as different lists so that learners can revise phrases when they need to without having to skip through a list of words.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. allow fast switching languages in the green toolbar via button: English to German <-> German to English. We only need the <-> switch button

Recently, I got an for improvement which you might find useful:

The green toolbar above enables you to enter a target language (left dropdown) and your native language (right dropdown). I often mix german/english up as it speeds up the comprehension of text. It's easier to translate an unknown word into a second language than look it up in a dictionary.

It would be awesome if you could add a button to fast switch between the two selected languages.

English to German <-> German to English.

I often read articles in both languages and the fast switch would make the…

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Enable saving the text with the translated words still visible, as a document for offline review.

I would like to be able to save the text with the translated words still visible as a document, so that I can reread and review it offline, or print it out. I've been saving the onscreen text as screenshots so far, but a document format would be more convenient.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Learn words according to list or to CEFR levels (A1,A2, B1...)

Algorithme to suggest you texts according to the list of words you need to learn. For example, you are going to pass A2 exam, so readlang could show the text with the words you've not mastered yet which are required on this A2 level so one could be sure to know them all.

For people who have to prepare for a certain exam it would be really useful!

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Extra field for answer side of flashcards

Hi,

Is it possible to add a misc field in flashcards to allow extra information to be shown on the answer side of flashcard?

For Japanese I like to have the romanisation or hiragana displayed in the answer field. I don´t want this displayed when typing in the answer (it gives it away) so I can not put it in the translation field. I imagine it would be useful for other langauges to add a note or mnemonic.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There’s an “Alternatives” field that you could add this kind of information to.

It is designed to accept alternative synonyms of the word when you type an answer, but apart from that it behaves exactly as you are suggesting – it appears when you reveal the word in your target language.

I suppose it would be nice to make a distinction between “alternative answer” and “notes”, but at the same time I don’t want to clutter the editing interface too much. What do you think?

9. Idea For Chinese to make it work

I suggest adding pinyin on the top of words

The main problem with Chinese is that it has no alphabet
    Adding pinyin on the top to make it readable and then checking the meaning will make it work. Check out Pinyiner on Android then you will get what I mean.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add furigana

I see that this has already been brought up before but If ever you guys get the resources it would be great if you could add some kind of pronunciation aid and or furigana for Japanese texts. You guys did real well setting up this site for languages that use the Roman Alphabet but with languages that use other writing systems there is no help with pronunciation.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Recognize -icx- (-iĉ-) suffix for esperanto

Although -icx- (-iĉ-) isn't official, many people use it, and it would be helpful if readlang somehow recognized this suffix and provided a translation for words that use it.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Word boundaries in Japanese

It would be nice if the system could identify the word boundaries for me, so that, when I put the cursor over a word, the green highlight appears under an entire Japanese word, and not just on each individual character.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. To provide a print option

I'd like to print out /or copy formatted/ the text with my new words highlighted, the printing of the selected words in a table would also be great.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add an additional exportable field "monolingual definition"

I'd love to have both translation and monolingual definition fields in the word list - ideally with the option to connect both with custom dictionaries.

The reason for this is that my Anki notes have both translation and monolingual definition fields. (My Spanish isn't advanced enough yet that I could always work with monolingual definitions, but starting to integrate them helps me get there.)

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Translation Behavior Display Settings

Current translation behavior for "highlight" or "underline" is to provide the translation above the selected word/phrase. This often causes a shift in the text and uneven line spacing. Implement double line spacing display option so that the above text translation does not disturb/shift line locations

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Note field on flashcards

It would be great if a user could write a few lines of text about each flashcard for a mem (like memrise) or even a few translation notes. I know there's support for adding pictures, but my mems have always been text-based. I tried putting this in a new context field, but then my mem would appear above the card while I was trying to think of the translation.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Same idea as http://readlang.uservoice.com/forums/192149-general/suggestions/5278506-extra-field-for-answer-side-of-flashcards, so repeating the comment I made there…

There’s an “Alternatives” field that you could add this kind of information to.

It is designed to accept alternative synonyms of the word when you type an answer, but apart from that it behaves as you are suggesting – it appears when you reveal the word in your target language.

I suppose it would be nice to make a distinction between “alternative answer” and “notes”, but at the same time I don’t want to clutter the editing interface too much. What do you think?

18. Show image hint in the pop-up for an auto-highlight word while in read mode.

When the user clicks on an auto-highlighted word in read mode, it would be great if the pop-up showed the image hint (by the way, it is so awesome that GIFs work) that has been set up.

It may be incredibly useful to have in lieu of a translation in monolingual mode.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. problems with sign in

I love your site and want to purchase but there is a problem with your sign in. I created an account to log in by email. When I go to sign on again is reads sign on through google and will not accept my password. I try to re-register but the system tells me someone is already using that email and pass word. I was going to pay today but not now until the sign in problem can be corrected.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. add a group field for the flashcards

When I want to study the flashcards, they are grouped according to the website or article from which I added the words. It would be great if I could create my own groups, so that I could choose the flashcards I wanted to study, for example if I am reading an article or book that is not online. As it stands, I have only the choices mentioned or all of the words I have added.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General