General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

IMPORTANT: Readlang has been in maintenance mode since 2016 and will continue this way for the foreseeable future. We will continue to ensure the site works as it has been, but no new languages or features will be added.
  1. Word boundaries in Japanese

It would be nice if the system could identify the word boundaries for me, so that, when I put the cursor over a word, the green highlight appears under an entire Japanese word, and not just on each individual character.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. To provide a print option

I'd like to print out /or copy formatted/ the text with my new words highlighted, the printing of the selected words in a table would also be great.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Recognize -icx- (-iĉ-) suffix for esperanto

Although -icx- (-iĉ-) isn't official, many people use it, and it would be helpful if readlang somehow recognized this suffix and provided a translation for words that use it.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Show image hint in the pop-up for an auto-highlight word while in read mode.

When the user clicks on an auto-highlighted word in read mode, it would be great if the pop-up showed the image hint (by the way, it is so awesome that GIFs work) that has been set up.

It may be incredibly useful to have in lieu of a translation in monolingual mode.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. jump to page # or percentage of text

I'm reading a long novel in ReadLang. I lost my place (50% in) by accidentally jumping ahead to 84%. It seems there is no way to go back or forwards other than one page at a time. The app needs a "jump to..." feature or slider like other eBook readers.

Also, ReadLang now thinks I have read 84% of this book which I can't change.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Being able to copy the text you're reading

Sometimes I just want to copy a few quotes or a particularly hard paragraph, but it's just impossible using the reader - you can only get translations for words and phrases.

It would be nice if I could just press "Alt" and then I could normally select the text I want to select and copy it.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add practice mode which turns a whole text into a big cloze test

This could be a more interesting alternative to using the flashcard page, allowing you to go back to quickly review all words in a text after reading it. It may even prove useful as a pre-reading exercise on new texts to warm up before reading them thoroughly.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Develop the possibility to import audio other than text.

In my opinion there is only one thing to add in this wonderful tool to make it perfect for language learning, and that is the possibility to import also the audio associated to a text.
    For example, at the moment I am studying german and I use some internet sites, like Deutche Welle and others , where you can find endless content to read and to listen, designed for german learners. Importing not only the text but also the audio (mp3 format), like for youtube videos, in Readlang would be something extremely useful.
    Thank you and best regards
    Francesco (Italy)

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add roots of the translated words

Words in texts are usually conjugated or have declensions etc added to them, it would be nice to have them in their root form once they are added to the flashcards.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree this would be nice as an extra, although I definitely wouldn’t like to lose the conjugated form. If I had to pick between the conjugated and infinitive versions I would definitely pick the conjugated forms since they:

1. Fit the context sentence – and it’s best to learn sentences and groups of words rather than isolated ones.
    2. Help me to internalize the most common conjugations of a verb. Learning the infinitives + the conjugation rules is good but IMO having the common conjugations hard-wired into your brain is better.

Still agree with having both and may get around to it one day, but it’s not a high priority and is actually pretty difficult to find a good source of data for all the supported languages.

Hmmm, just though that adding a button on the flashcards page to access an external dictionary (like the sidebar dictionary http://blog.readlang.com/2013/11/07/custom-dictionaries.html)…

11. Feature Idea

I'd love to have a feature that allows you to see how many words you already know in the language you're learning... like something similar to what lingq does...

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Tutor option

Free tutoring, language exchange, like on polyglotclub.com. For example someone who is learning Russian and is a native German speaker can exchange with someone who learns German and is a Russian native speaker.. Very simple option -what languages are you learning -what languages can you teach -- and then you are sorted in a readlang tutor list. Maybe just a button on the top, when you click-the list pops out, you chose a tutor and exchange information, email, skype ect.. I think that the tutor option would make this website complete, no need to go anywhere else..

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. please make it work on Quora!

Please make it work on Quora!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Proper tokenization for Korean

Korean has tons of particles, verb endings, etc. so there are a lot of words recognized as different on here that are really the same word just with different grammatical implications. For example, 학교에서, 학교에, 학교까지, 학교가, 학교를, and more are all just the word for school. I think with more accurate tokenization of those to just 학교 along with the same for other nouns, verbs, and such that the single-word dictionary lookup and flashcards for Korean would be much more useful.

I don't know how your backend is written but there is a pretty good Korean tokenizer written in…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enable saving the text with the translated words still visible, as a document for offline review.

I would like to be able to save the text with the translated words still visible as a document, so that I can reread and review it offline, or print it out. I've been saving the onscreen text as screenshots so far, but a document format would be more convenient.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add audio file

Hi would be great if I could attach an audio file to the text.
    Thanks

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Note field on flashcards

It would be great if a user could write a few lines of text about each flashcard for a mem (like memrise) or even a few translation notes. I know there's support for adding pictures, but my mems have always been text-based. I tried putting this in a new context field, but then my mem would appear above the card while I was trying to think of the translation.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Same idea as http://readlang.uservoice.com/forums/192149-general/suggestions/5278506-extra-field-for-answer-side-of-flashcards, so repeating the comment I made there…

There’s an “Alternatives” field that you could add this kind of information to.

It is designed to accept alternative synonyms of the word when you type an answer, but apart from that it behaves as you are suggesting – it appears when you reveal the word in your target language.

I suppose it would be nice to make a distinction between “alternative answer” and “notes”, but at the same time I don’t want to clutter the editing interface too much. What do you think?

18. steamcommunity.com doesn't work with Readlang

http://steamcommunity.com/

I get this pop-up message:

"The page at www.nu.nl says:
    Sorry but there's a problem loading Readlang Web Reader on this website."

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sorry but the http://steamcommunity.com/ website has a security policy that stops any external scripts from running. This includes the Readlang Web Reader. The same problem happens with Facebook.

There may be a way I can work around this for Chrome Extension users but I would need to investigate further.

19. iOS app

Hi Steve,
    it is a very usefull website but it will be very profitable for you to create a native iOS app, maybe you should think about it.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Don't automatically show English translation for flashcards.

When reviewing flashcards, I find that my eyes go straight to the English translation rather than the sentence context. It would be nice if there was an option to make it so that user has to click to show the English translation. That way, the default would be for the user to read the sentence and figure out what the appropriate word is and only clicks to see the english translation when it's too hard to tell from the context. The hope is that this may allow the user to stay in his/her target language more often.

Thanks!

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories