Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. Feature Idea

I'd love to have a feature that allows you to see how many words you already know in the language you're learning... like something similar to what lingq does...

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Show image hint in the pop-up for an auto-highlight word while in read mode.

When the user clicks on an auto-highlighted word in read mode, it would be great if the pop-up showed the image hint (by the way, it is so awesome that GIFs work) that has been set up.

It may be incredibly useful to have in lieu of a translation in monolingual mode.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. add a group field for the flashcards

When I want to study the flashcards, they are grouped according to the website or article from which I added the words. It would be great if I could create my own groups, so that I could choose the flashcards I wanted to study, for example if I am reading an article or book that is not online. As it stands, I have only the choices mentioned or all of the words I have added.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. problems with sign in

I love your site and want to purchase but there is a problem with your sign in. I created an account to log in by email. When I go to sign on again is reads sign on through google and will not accept my password. I try to re-register but the system tells me someone is already using that email and pass word. I was going to pay today but not now until the sign in problem can be corrected.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Note field on flashcards

It would be great if a user could write a few lines of text about each flashcard for a mem (like memrise) or even a few translation notes. I know there's support for adding pictures, but my mems have always been text-based. I tried putting this in a new context field, but then my mem would appear above the card while I was trying to think of the translation.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Same idea as http://readlang.uservoice.com/forums/192149-general/suggestions/5278506-extra-field-for-answer-side-of-flashcards, so repeating the comment I made there…

There’s an “Alternatives” field that you could add this kind of information to.

It is designed to accept alternative synonyms of the word when you type an answer, but apart from that it behaves as you are suggesting – it appears when you reveal the word in your target language.

I suppose it would be nice to make a distinction between “alternative answer” and “notes”, but at the same time I don’t want to clutter the editing interface too much. What do you think?

6. Words with more added contexts go first in reviewing flashcards

We know that words with higher frequency appear first when reviewing flashcards. But it would be more useful and intelligent to use the number of added contexts to a word and you review words that have more added contexts first. Because here is the thing. I read material on topics I'm interested in, and some vocabulary I see more often. And that vocabulary is essential to me more than the other, maybe with higher general frequency.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add Interlinear Text Option to support Bilingual Text

Hi,

Would it be possible to add in a premium option to make an interlinear text of the current page or the whole reading? Right now, I spend a lot of time curating my word list, because it creates a card from every translation that I do. An interlinear text will allow me to see the full sentence translations without creating cards and select the phrase or word that I want to turn into a card. This would also partially address some of the other ideas for bilingual texts.

I've started converting text to be interlinear and entering it into…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix a bug that doesn't let me access my premium account

I have paid for my premium account for several months, and this month my account says that I am on the free plan, even though my bank account is still being charged for the premium one. I do not have access to the premium features which I have paid for.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. iOS app

Hi Steve,
    it is a very usefull website but it will be very profitable for you to create a native iOS app, maybe you should think about it.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Improve the statistics

Make the statistics in the long term view-able! I would like to see my known words increasing, how many previously unknown words ive seen and since remembered. with graphs and tables like link q. this would be massive for motivation!

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow for more than 25 words selection

Hi,

Would it possible to select more than 25 words from the word list at a time. For example, I would like to select ALL of my starred words (more than 25) for practice yet the minute I hit the forward button to select more starred words, the ones I selected previously no longer show up for practice.

It would be extremely helpful to be able to see/select more than 25 words at a time in the word list to create the flashcard study that I need.
    Thanks

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Web Reader extension for desktop Safari

Create an extension for desktop Safari just like for Chrome.

(Note, for now you can use the bookmarklet which functions identically, the only difference is that it's accessed via a link in your bookmarks instead of via a nice toolbar button: http://readlang.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/523289)

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Japanese word splitting (MECAB)

Hi,

Would it be possible to run any texts imported for Japanese through mecab? This would split up the words and while not 100% accurate would allow users to look up words without adding too many 'rubbish' words by mistake when they highlight fragments / don't know where the word breaks are.

Any mistakes by mecab can be corrected quite easily by the user editing text. Also if you could add some sort of way to show/hide spaces then more advanced students/ those that dislike the spaces could just hide them.

Cheers

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Proper tokenization for Korean

Korean has tons of particles, verb endings, etc. so there are a lot of words recognized as different on here that are really the same word just with different grammatical implications. For example, 학교에서, 학교에, 학교까지, 학교가, 학교를, and more are all just the word for school. I think with more accurate tokenization of those to just 학교 along with the same for other nouns, verbs, and such that the single-word dictionary lookup and flashcards for Korean would be much more useful.

I don't know how your backend is written but there is a pretty good Korean tokenizer written in…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Don't automatically show English translation for flashcards.

When reviewing flashcards, I find that my eyes go straight to the English translation rather than the sentence context. It would be nice if there was an option to make it so that user has to click to show the English translation. That way, the default would be for the user to read the sentence and figure out what the appropriate word is and only clicks to see the english translation when it's too hard to tell from the context. The hope is that this may allow the user to stay in his/her target language more often.

Thanks!

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. please make it work on Quora!

Please make it work on Quora!

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. make it easier to add your own translation straightaway

Other similar apps/software allow you to write in your own definition of a word or phrase immediately without having to click (in Readlang's case) several times on the word/phrase or navigate to a different panel. This would be a really helpful addition to Readlang for me (especially when reading Latin) as - at the moment - the automatic translations are often not sufficient and the current method for adding your own translation is quite time-consuming (compared to just having the word pop up in the side panel and being able to input translation immediately).

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. steamcommunity.com doesn't work with Readlang

http://steamcommunity.com/

I get this pop-up message:

"The page at www.nu.nl says:
    Sorry but there's a problem loading Readlang Web Reader on this website."

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry but the http://steamcommunity.com/ website has a security policy that stops any external scripts from running. This includes the Readlang Web Reader. The same problem happens with Facebook.

There may be a way I can work around this for Chrome Extension users but I would need to investigate further.

19. Track estimated known words

Could you add a dashboard and stats that include your estimated vocabulary size. You could do this by by unique word count per page minus lookups that haven't been passed in SRS (like lingq.com does it).

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 7 votes
    Vote