Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

473 results found

1. Provide offline reading

I'm aware this would be incredibly difficult, but it'd be amazing if you ever produced an app or some way to access offline. I often want to use readlang on a plane or somewhere I can't get internet access.

Perhaps even just preprocessing the text and only allowing single word translation in offline mode?

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Graphs

What about a more extensive graph that shows not just a week but a longer time period and total number of words learned over a period of time

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. allow students to click the new word to hear the pronunciation

using the chrome extension, I can have students click on the word and see it in their language...but they need to know how to pronounce it in English in the page rather than having to go into readlang's page and hearing it and then go back

BTW, amazing, awesome app!

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Save german nouns with gender information

If I click in "Gericht", I'd like Readlang to add "das Gericht" as the flashcard for that word.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

One way to to accomplish this is to always include the article (e.g. in English a, an, the) along with the word. The idea of Readlang is to always learn words or phrases as they appear in a given context.

I do agree that it would be nice to show the gender information without needing to include other words. Just offering a alternative solution that may help.

5. Highlight unknown words

It would be great to have the ability to highlight unknown words, as is done in LingQ. There is something very satisfying about seeing the amount of unknown words get smaller and smaller as I learn a language.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Support other text formats (expecially pdf) along with epub.

I'd like to be able to read text from pdfs and other documents such as web pages (and Word files too) using readlang. My problem is that, to read a pdf with readlang, a) I have to do a lot of work to get the file into the write format, and b) I lose a lot of the textual layout and this can sometimes make the text very difficult to read.

I would like to be able or enter a url of a pdf file and use readlang to help me read it.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add better support for Chinese

It would be helpful if Chinese words had pinyin so that pronunciation is easier. Chinese words also consist of multiple characters so the ability to select phrases would be nice as well.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

True, I know pinyin would be useful, but it’s not high on my list of priorities for now while I’m focussed on improving the other languages.

Did you realise that you can already select phrases by dragging to select multiple characters?

8. Audio sync rather than only YouTube video

My idea is basically to do an Assimil styled approach but be able to incorporate your flashcards (or Anki) with it in this way: 1) listen to the recording, 2) transcribe and sync, 3) review with flashcards and, of course, be able to click on a word to hear it individually (which I think you have as a premium already).

So, if I could upload audio I could then use podcasts and other sources besides YT. I'd like to be able to import audio files (Mp3 would be the first choice) and sync them up just as your YT function…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. to add the possibility to import movie subtitles, e.g. in the srt format.

Since subtitles to movies are available online for various languages it would be good to consider them seriously here as a useful source. It is indeed possible even now to import text subtitles, however, it would be nice to see only the text on the screen and not the time marks. It would be also useful to have the possibility to import subtitle for two languages (one you know and one you learn), and see the two at the same screen, one by one.

And, a native Android application would be nice...

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a text-search facility.

Add a text-search facility.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add the cover or a picture for our ebooks

Hi Steve I'm learning English at the the moment and I would like to thank you for this fantastic website.
    To improve the website I think that would be great to have the cover for our ebooks or the possibility to add a picture.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Sinc Mp3 files from google docs or box

Would be really nice to sinc mp3 files from google docs/play or box, the idea is listening while reading...

Almost the same as Youtube videos.

Thanks

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Audio files with transcript

I love the YouTube feature, but often, I have MP3 files with transcripts. This will help a lot a so much content these days in in audio-only format. Can you configure this feature as well?

Thank you for the consideration.

Kind regards,
    John

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Being able to copy the text you're reading

Sometimes I just want to copy a few quotes or a particularly hard paragraph, but it's just impossible using the reader - you can only get translations for words and phrases.

It would be nice if I could just press "Alt" and then I could normally select the text I want to select and copy it.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. jump to page # or percentage of text

I'm reading a long novel in ReadLang. I lost my place (50% in) by accidentally jumping ahead to 84%. It seems there is no way to go back or forwards other than one page at a time. The app needs a "jump to..." feature or slider like other eBook readers.

Also, ReadLang now thinks I have read 84% of this book which I can't change.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Link variants of the same word

It would be nice to have variations of the same word to be linked with the same meaning. For example, different tenses of the same verb or different declensions of a word. This could also be added, for example, through the edit word window, with an additional coma separated field (like the existing one) so that if any of the variants appear in the future, it also gets highlighted and the same definition is shown.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. English definition

Hi ;o)

Nice app, I have a suggestion though: reference.com let people choose the option "English definition", shouldn't be great that your app allows to do the same? When I study english I don't like to have the definition in my native language because it forces me to make the translation in my mind whereas I want to think in english! :) I know that a lot of learners think the same (see fluent-forever; fluent in 3 months; Antimoon etc.)

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Print out vocab lists

It would be very beneficial if I we could print out the vocab list in a document. For example, have 2 columns on a page. the left side the foreign language and on the right side the native language.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I agree, a simple option to print out a list would be a good feature to add in future.

In the meantime. Did you know there is a flexible export option on the words page?

1. Go to http://readlang.com/words
    2. Select the words you wish to export (to select all words click the checkbox to the left of the “Actions” button, then if there are more than 25 words, click “Select all ??? words”.
    3. Click Actions → Export
    4. Choose which fields to export. For a simple word list, use only “Original” and “Translation”. To include the contexts, leave it as the default.
    5. Click “Export File”

This will save a file to your computer which you can open in another program to view and print. A spreadsheet such as Excel or Google Drive Spreadsheet would work well.

19. Shared words data: context, translation, pictures, definition aka shared vocab

Hello Steve, good job, your app is really close to what I was "dreaming" to build, but whoa-la you did it almost the same way.

I believe in learning=experiencing, not dull drilling. That is why word context and pictures are fare more important than drilling "flashcards" ( memorizing word and its translation ).

You have nice tool for skimming through word context (i use it rather then flashcard typing mode). Typing mode is nice finale, once I "know and feel" the word.

I usually add one or more context ideally with good picture and definition (I am advanced learner thus…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently all your words are private but I’ve been planning to open things up so that by default everyone shares their words and phrases publicly, and probably to restrict the option of private words to paying users only. This would open the doors for the kind of collaborative features you suggest.

Watch this space!

20. audio for context sentences

It'd be very helpful if there were audio option that could read the sentences from which the key word/phrase was taken (jut like there's audio for words/phrases that are learned

or it could be like this that when I guess what is the missing word (translation) then the sentence would be filled in with my correct answer and then I could play audio for it

It's just a free idea; that would also strengthen our comprehension skills and keep us away from incorrect pronunciation

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Automatic audio playback is now available for premium users, it doesn’t read the whole context sentence at the moment, but plays the specific word or phrase when:

- You translate a word or phrase
    - The side of the flashcard in your target language is displayed

You can enable it by checking “Speaking Mode” from the settings page: http://readlang.com/settings

It works for the following 17 languages: Catalan, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Please let me know what you think of this and how it works.

Some notes:
    1. It doesn’t work when using the Web Reader on iOS.
    2. When enabled, you’ll see an audio icon at the top of the reader page and during a flashcard session allowing you to toggle “speaking mode” – this won’t appear at all if it wasn’t enabled first from the settings page…

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base