Skip to content

General

Does anything bug you about using Readlang? Add or vote on suggestions to improve it!

NOTE: Readlang is run by just one person, me, Steve. Even entire software development teams can't implement all the great ideas that they come up with, and this is doubly true in my case since I'm just a single person. So although I read all the ideas posted here, I can't possibly implement most of them. The feedback definitely helps inform my product decisions though, so please keep posting!

475 results found

1. Please add an option to automatically translate whole page or text

I find having a translation above each word extremely useful. For languages that I'm a beginner, I have to translate almost every word on each page. I'd find it very useful to be able to select an option that does this automatically, and displays a translation for every word.

I'm speaking about word by word translation, like interlinear texts, and not about whole phrases. In my opinion, phrases should still be translated by being selected, just like now, but the interlinear word by word translation would make this app even more unique, there's no other app out there that does…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow import and use of EPUB documents directly.

If you allow import and use of EPUB documents, i.e. give Readlang the function to be an e-book reader for EPUB format (as well as text format). This would save having to convert to text in Calibre (not an onerous task admittedly).

I think what lies behind my thinking is more that the user will benefit from the look and feel of the e-book he may be used to already, and also have benefit of any chapter-headings or illustrations.

I notice that for example Calibre does not have support for foreign language dictionaries (it does allow English language lookup in…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The reason ePubs can be smaller than txt files is that they are compressed. If you rename an ePub file to .zip you can look inside :)

If I support ePub it will certainly be DRM free books only to start with. Savy technical users can easily remove DRM for their personal books using Calibre.

To support DRM ePub books seems to be very expensive. I looked briefly and it costs $10,000 upfront for Adobe Content Server plus a charge for each book distributed. So I’d need to be very confident that Readlang could make money before going down this road.

Don’t want to promise a timeframe, but I’m going to start working on DRM free ePub support soon.

3. better support high-latency connections

I'm using your site from Bangladesh, and my connection to the States is fairly high-latency (320-340ms to readlang.com right now, 150-200 to Google's 8.8.8.8). Unfortunately, one effect of this seems to be that I can sometimes (not always) wait a long time for a word to appear. (I just had it happen w/ এইভাবে; it took 23 seconds!) I clicked on a number of words before that one, and most took 4 seconds. If there's any optimization you can do for high-latency connections, it would be most appreciated.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sometimes google translate itself can take a few seconds to respond, but it certainly shouldn’t take 23 seconds!

There’s not that much I can do to improve things if the latency and/or bandwidth of your connection is slow. The request and response when doing a translation are quite small already, so the only way I can think to speed things up would be to pre-fetch translations for every word in the text you are reading, and that would only work for individual words, not phrases. This is something I’ll consider when looking into offline usage in future, no promises on when that’ll be though.

4. Add Esperanto as a Language and/or let users add custom languages

Two things here:

First off, I'd love to be able to use Esperanto with readlang. It's supported by Google translate (so there's no issue of translations), and I'd even be okay with partial support.

Second off, while on that topic, it'd be quite nice to either crowd source the languages supported or allow users to add custom languages.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Share flashcard decks with friends

It would be great to be able to share a deck (daily/weekly) with classmates-friends etc that are in the same boat. So the learning effort would be collaborative

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Editable "Categories"

I am using ReadLang more and more, and I am finding it to be extremely useful and helpful. One part that could be more useful is "Categories' for Texts. Currently the categories are fiction, non-fiction, song, conversation and other. Those don't seem to be applicable to me (except Conversation), but may be to others. It would be useful to me to be able to edit (make) my own Categories. The obvious ones that come to mind are: Phrases, Grammar, Expressions, Connectors, Science, News, Lessons, Study.

Somewhat related: As I become more and more proficient in my target language, I am…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Have a suspend option in word list

Sometimes you have a relapse in studying and want to start out new again on some fresh texts but not have the old words come back at you in the flash cards until a later date.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m thinking about changing the scheduling system slightly to prioritise newer words over older ones for this reason.

I’ve noticed this myself and also in this Readlang review Ron says that he periodically deletes all his cards to avoid the same problem: http://www.languagesurfer.com/2015/01/14/readlang-review-six-ways-to-get-the-most-out-of-this-awesome-tool/ – when I read this I knew that something needed to be fixed. Thanks for reminding me about this!

One thing you could try in the meantime is:

1. Read a text on readlang.com (as opposed to the Web Reader) and translate a lot of words.
    2. On the flashcard page, there’s a “Study from…” selector – use this to only study words from the recently read text.

8. Flashcard : option to write the word in my native language rather to guess it

Under Flashcard, there is already an option to allow writing the word in the target language instead of just guessing it ;

I would like to get the same option for the native language;
    Guessing can be a bit fuzzy sometimes, so, by writing the word, the choice of the good word is clearer than by guessing it ;

thanks

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Option to filter out texts with videos

Hi, It'd be of great help if you could add a filter that can allow users to filter out texts with video content. Many of the readers (like myself) need audio feedback while reading the text in order to get the pronunciation right.

As of now, its hard to go through the entire list to try and spot all the videos.

Thanks!
    Adi

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Sort by reverse frequency

I like to sort my words by frequency or usefulness and eliminate those words that are least common before I spend the time working on the flash cards and beginning to practice them. Because I want to compare the frequency of these new words to the total set of words that I have flash cards for, I have to use a list that contains all of my words. I takes a large number of clicks to reach the end of the list. It is easy to get to the beginning of the list, as all I have to do is…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. to modify the spaced repetition algorithm

I feel that the algorithm is too optimistic compared to my learning capacities. There's a flash card i reviewed recently : Got it wrong the first try because i didn't remember very well, than got it right the second try... Now the next review will be in 50 days !!! Almost two months !!! So my suggestion for the algorithm simply is to "punish" harder when you're wrong. Cut the next review delay in half for example when you failed putting the correct answer once. That's a nice tool anyway. Good job !

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Could readers turn on or off the synchronizing brown marker on Youtube videos (some students will love it, others find it distracting)

Make it so readers can turn on or off the synchronizing, brown highlighter on Youtube videos. Then my students who find it really distracting could turn it off (and turn it on if they get lost and need temporary help finding their place) but students who love it can keep the moving highlighter.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have you tried this with your students yet? If so, roughly how many found it distracting?

I don’t have much time to alter Readlang at the moment and will only add more options like this if it benefits a lot of users.

13. Should build some app for android and enhance high frequency word training

That's a great idea with flashcards, but brouser refreshes the page each time I try to look a word in some other page, so all my progress disappears. Also it would be great to learn words with exact frequency only. For example, button for repeat only 7500 high freq words. Other words would be trained by guessing from the context.
    I would definetly pay for the service that simply remembers previous state and have smart SRS.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Your progress in the flashcards should be remembered if you are logged in. Readlang uses a SRS to schedule words – you’ll see a summary of when they are next scheduled after completing a flashcard session.

Readlang prioritizes the most frequent words of those that you have translated based on a word frequency list of the top 50,000 words (assuming your learning language is not in beta mode).

If you want to browse when in the middle of a flashcard session, I recommend simply opening another tab.

Hope this helps. If I misunderstood your question please let me know.

14. 2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Having alternatives hidden in context.

It would be nice to have alternatives to a word hidden in the context.
    Sometimes, I have a form of an adjective, e.g. "periculosus" (Latin) and in the context I use the form "periculosa", which I already added to the alternatives, but it isn't hidden.

Of course I could just make a new card for every form, but then I would have 10 - 20 cards for every word.

It would be nice if you add that.

Thanks.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. toggle flash card creation or ask for confirmation before making one

I've just discovered ReadLang a few days ago and love it. Beautiful job.

I do find the automatic flash card creation feature very useful, but sometimes I want to turn it off to just practice reading and keep my word list tidy. I'm new to reading Spanish and tend to highlight a lot (for the translations). Most of what I highlight I don't want saved in my word list. Alternatively, I'd probably be happier if it asked me to confirm each time it wanted to create a flash card.

Anyway, based on your last blog post I guess you're done…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. to help learning ... an option to gradually unveil words one letter at a time

I hope this header is sufficient to describe the idea. I presume that this is a 'valid' learning technique?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Custom Flashcards

As it is, I have to use Anki to make custom flashcards for the books I read, and Readland to remember my digital translations. Can we create our own custom flashcard sets so it can happen on one platform? Thanks.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Bookmarlet never loads

once i click the bookmarklet, the green box appears but never loads and this is on suggested sites from Readlang

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Option to highlight words without displaying their translations

I would love to be able to highlight words I don't know without having their translations appear on screen. This would serve several functions:

• The text would not rearrange itself everytime I click on a word, thus keeping proper formatting and allowing for more text to stay on the screen;

• I could read through the text without being distracted by the translation, allowing me to note which words I am unsure of while still being able to consider their meaning through context, and pay more attention to the text as a whole.

• Once I am done reading, I could easily…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 8 10 12 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?